1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Part 2 ~ Treasured moments with Ricardo

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Slowhand, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

WARNING...THIS IS A LONG POST!

As many of you know, over the years we have become very close friends with Ricardo who is a head server at the YSH, and his wife [Luz] who also works for Disney at the GF as a housekeeping manager.
    As such they have been our house guests during the times when they have visited the UK and they make sure to take good care of us whenever we visit Florida, and this time was no exception.

Thursday Sept.17th

Tonight was to be our first meeting with Ricardo and his wife as he had arranged for us to have dinner with them at the new Paradiso restaurant at PI.
    We collected Luz from her work at the GF and she gave us some reservations that she had made on our behalf for breakfast at 1900 Park Fayre for later in our vacation when we were to spend a few nights at the resort which was kind of her. :hug2:
    We were joined by a friend of Ricardo`s who used to own an executive position at Disney before his retirement and who gave Ricky his first job at WDW. He was also heavily involved with the setting up of DLRP and the GF so we had quite a lot to talk about! [For reasons of confidentiality I won`t reveal his name or post any photos of our meeting.]
    We really enjoyed the dinner. Good company, an excellent table alongside the lake, and a perfect end to our first full day in Florida.
    The live music at the restaurant was a bit loud though, and although it didn`t bother me [the singer/guitar player even played an Eric Clapton number!], it could be disappointing if you wanted a quiet intimate dinner! :lol:
    Over dinner we were told by our hosts that PI is the only area of WDW that is patrolled by “real” police rather than the normal Disney security. Apparently this is because although Disney owns the land, all of the shops and restaurants etc.are privately owned and operated so different rules apply.
    One of the reasons behind the closure of the many bars and dancing venues at PI was that it attracted a load of troublemakers which was in danger of tarnishing the Disney image.

Sunday Sept.20th

Our next meeting with Ricardo was tonight when we had arranged to have dinner at the YSH with our very own catrancher [Tom], and his dear wife Carol, who we met when they were our dining partners on a DCL cruise last year.
    After a few hugs, kisses and handshakes with our friends followed by a pre-dinner tipple, we were led into the restaurant where Ricardo made us all most welcome. A personal card was on the table awaiting us along with a vase containing some flowers from his garden.
    Over dinner, several of Ricky`s fellow CM`s and his manager came over to greet us which made us really feel at home.
    A good night was had by all, with Ricardo providing most of the entertainment as usual and we were almost the last to leave the restaurant due to the excellent company and overall atmosphere of the evening.
    Before leaving, my DW and I gave Ricky a birthday gift for his big day tomorrow [various items of Beatles merchandise], and true to form, Ricky called us at our villa at around midnight to thank us for the gift that he had just opened!

Wednesday Sept.23rd

This morning we met Ricardo at DTD as he had arranged for us to visit the Disney headquarters across the road. I`ve often passed this building and wondered what it was like inside so it was great being able to check it out.
    Needless to say but the security was tight and we had to present a photo ID to the security guard in the lobby who then issued us with visitor passes.
    Just beyond the lobby is what is reputed to be the largest sun dial in the World…in true Disney fashion! This is housed in a round un-roofed building, which always reminded me of a power station cooling tower whenever I saw it from the road.
    Ricky showed us the bank in the building which handles the financial matters of all of the CM`s in addition to giving us a guided tour of the premises which he [or rather we!] had access to!
    Outside the building I couldn`t resist taking some photos of his vehicle and also a shot of Ricardo and my DW. [If only I could be as cheerful as he is all the time!]

Ricardo & my DW

Sue & Ricky.jpg

Ricardo`s van

Ricardo`s van.jpg

Thursday Sept 24th

We had arranged to meet Ricky in the lobby of the Poly. and as we were by now staying at the GF, it was a pleasant stroll along the beach to get there.
    Today was the final of a Latin American dancing competition between teams of CM`s from the GF and the Poly. and we were there to give support to Luz [Ricardo`s DW] who was a member of one of the teams from the GF.

Ricky took us behind the scenes to a room which the CM`s use for various social activities, containing a stage and dancing area and the place was wall to wall with CM`s from both resorts all giving their support to the various entrants.
    At one stage I needed the bathroom and was given the directions by a CM…”Take that door, walk through the kitchen, down a small corridor, and it`s to your right!” This definitely was “behind the scenes”!
    In the event, Luz`s team finished 3rd in the competition and they were presented with a framed plaque in recognition of their achievement. The first prize apparently was a free dinner for 10 at one of the resort restaurants which was quite an incentive for the CM`s to take part!

Dance competition

Dance Competition.jpg

Monday Oct.5th

Because we had spent a few days at VB, today was the date of our next get together with Ricky & Luz.
    They took us to the Omni Resort at Champions Gate which is only a short drive from our villa, where we had dinner in one of their restaurants called Trevi`s.
    This was our first visit to this resort and we had an excellent meal there where we were given excellent service from our server, especially when he found out that Ricardo and Luz were Disney CM`s. [Apparently the Omni had “poached” several CM`s when setting up their resort!].
    The Omni appears to be a lovely resort, however it does cater heavily for the corporate business trade and doesn`t have the feel of a holiday base. However it was nice to see a circular area outside with a central huge fire ablaze, surrounded by guests relaxing in wooden rocking chairs who seemed totally at ease.

Tuesday Oct.6th

Tonight, dinner was at the YSH again, this time with Wendy, Chris, John [uscwest] and Donna [wdwgrandma]. It was great for us all to meet up at this location to renew our friendship.
    As usual Ricky was on top form and kept us entertained as he tried to serve us as it was difficult for him to get much sense out of us as there was quite a lot of banter going on.
    Again, he had arranged for a personalised welcome card and flowers to be placed on our table which was a very nice gesture.
    A good time was had by all.

Thursday Oct.8th

So far we had never met Ricardo`s Mother on any of our visits, so today Ricky put that in order as we were to have lunch together at AK.
    I couldn`t believe my eyes when our doorbell rang and there stood Ricardo and his Mum, Eva. Eva is 83 years old [or should I say “young”?], as she is remarkable for her age. Heck she even drives a two seater sports car [Fiero?] and soon we were chatting away like long lost friends.
    Ricky had arranged for us to have lunch at a restaurant called Sanna at the AK villas. Again this was somewhere new to us, and I must say that I was very impressed.
    After a small time spent outside viewing some of the animals, we were seated by the window from where we had a great view of them from our table.
    Sadly my DW and I could only manage a light lunch as we had reserved dinner at the Bistro de Paris for this evening which we didn`t want to spoil, however we really enjoyed the restaurant and will definitely visit again.

AKL Villas

AKL Villas 1.jpg

AKL Villas Lobby

AKL Villas 2.jpg

On the way back to our house we took a slight detour to OKW as Ricky had promised to show his van to a couple of his guests from the UK who he had served at the YSH. They have a lot in common with both Ricky and I seeing as they live near to Guildford with Ringo Starr and Eric Clapton both having homes nearby!

Sunday Oct. 11th

Another tradition for my DW and I is to have our final dinner of our vacation at the YSH in order to say our goodbyes [for the short term] to Ricardo.
    Unlike our previous visit with Tom & Carol though, WDW had now become very busy as it was the Columbus Day weekend so Ricky was rushed off his feet attending to his tables.
    His manager and several of his CM`s came over and kept us company on several occasions though to make up for his absence!
    This time Ricky had placed a red rose in a glass vase on our table which my DW though was a really nice gesture.
    After saying our goodbyes we left, hating the thought that it would be several months before our next meeting with this guy and his wonderful family.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

oh wow his car looks so cute :)
    Dave and i were married at the Omni its really nice there :)

love the pictures :)

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Thanks for the report and the pictures :)

Ricardo is such a beautiful person. Thank you so much for arranging for us to meet him. I can tell you that we will become regulars at YSH just so we can see him.

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Wow, you had an absolutely brilliant time with Ricardo. He really does seem like a likeable, genuine guy. :yes:
    Love the photos :thumbsup:

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Brilliant TR Terry. Ricardo was absolutely at his best the night we were there.

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Great report! I've always wondered what was in that Disney building too!

Really hope to meet Ricardo on a future visit

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

He is the sweetest man. Truly. It's wonderful to have an extremely professional waiter. He is of the old school, the waiter who made a career out of being the best, in a signature restaurant.

I'm happy for you that you were able to spend so much time with him, Slowhand. Love the shot of Mrs. S and Ricardo!

8. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Great report as usual Terry. I shall look out for him when we are at the YSH in a couple of weeks.

9. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Great report as usual, Terry!

My DW was truly enamored of Ricardo! I don't think either one of us have met a happier person! Truly a one of a kind. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... how'd you know it was his birthday? :laugh2:)

10. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Terry I was interested to see that you were eating at Bistro de Paris. This is one restaurant that I really want to try next month. Did you enjoy the meal and was it worth the cost? Thanks

11. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

It was the first time we`ve eaten there Val, and yes we really enjoyed having dinner there.
    The service was excellent and although the food portions weren`t huge, nevertheless we weren`t hungry when we came out!
    I`d certainly go there again. :thumbsup:
    As for the cost, well it was only on a par with the other similar on-site restaurants like AP and YSH etc.etc., so on this basis I would say that it was worth the cost.

12. uscwest

We have also eaten there a few times. It is my favorite EPCOT Restaurant.

13. piglet

Thanks very much Terry and John. I do have only a very small appetite and can never manage 3 courses so size of portions shouldn't be a problem. I'll definitely try this one. I love the YSH but have to try and not eat all the roll and garlic cos then I can't finish my steak :yes:

14. uscwest

You are welcome. I just took a look at their menu and notice that my favorite item (Veal Chop) is not currently on the menu. However, it does change frequently. :tongue:

15. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

YSH used to offer bourbon steak and it was just THE BEST ever. I don't know why they stopped doing it but I wish wish wish they'd bring it back.

16. Tink

Piglet, Bistro is very good! :yes: One of the things we did was shared the degustation menu. It's a "tasting" menu, but shared between two adults it's do-able. (Otherwise no one could ever finish it)!

There are choices and then the servings are small. Makes for a lovely dinner, but do plan on at least 2 hours.

Otherwise, you could order an appetizer and a dessert and be fine!

17. piglet

Tink, would they mind if that was all I ordered? You see I do sometimes forget to eat. I know that sounds barmy but I make sure I always have a decent breakfast and then go to work. Normally about lunchtime I will have a cup of coffee and perhaps a biscuit and then that's it until the evening. I've not got anything wrong with me (at least I don't think I have) it's just that I rarely feel very hungry :unsure::unsure: and I come in at just on 9 stone (most of which seems to be around my wait and hips) so I'm not that thin :thumbsup:

18. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Really interesting report Terry, great to do so many different things that give a different insight.

I have never eaten at YSH but I think I will try to get a reservation for when we go in January. We both totally love our steaks and the service sounds top notch too. Ricardo seems like a great man...what a lovely smile he has!

19. Tink

They won't mind, Piglet. It's quite often done, the appetizer and dessert bit. :yes:

Something else we have done is "order for the table" meaning that we'll order a salad, an appetizer and an entree, and ask for two plates and we pick and choose the bits we want. That works well for us. :yes: Chefs du France is a good place to do that. They have the charcuterie plate and the salad nicoise, both which lend themselves well to "for the table" sorts of dining. :yes: