Part 7: A journey of a thousand miles begins with...

Discussion in 'General' started by Beccaberry, May 3, 2015.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    ...being grateful.

[​IMG]

I often find myself explaining to others that I'm an incredibly anti-social runner. Unlike most, "training with a buddy" doesn't motivate me, or make the runs easier, in fact it does exactly the opposite. Running is an incredibly private thing for me; a personal journey that most wouldn't find value in. So, as such, I've always felt that it was just me out there on the road, and for better or worse, I alone was responsible for the outcome.

I learned today just how wrong I was. From sharing my journey with each of you here and finding such amazing support and encouragement, to Jon sacrificing his Sunday morning to wait at the finish line, to every, single volunteer that handed me a cup of water, gave me an encouraging smile, or shouted, "You got this!", I realized today, that I am never, ever running solo - and I am utterly grateful and humbled by that.

This morning at the final water station, around mile 8, just as I was contemplating my own insanity at having registered for a race that was clearly out of my grasp, I noticed a Disney refillable mug on the water station table. As I approached I shouted, "Disney World in the house!!" The gentleman volunteer quickly grabbed the mug and ran a few steps with me singing Zipadee Doo Daa. As he trailed off to head back to his station, I shouted my thanks to him. He replied, "Hey, you're 'Ohana!" I grinned for the rest of the race, humming Zippadee Doo Daa to myself.

Did I finish? Sure did! Even improved on my pace! But more than anything, the most precious thing I received was the knowledge that, as in life, there's a difference between finishing and finishing happy.

Thanks, as ever, for being my life-long "Laughing Place" and my favorite running buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. uscwest

uscwest Active Member

Becca I really have to hand it to you. I've never been a runner and never will be, but when I lived in Germany I did a lot of Volksmarches. I started at 10K, then 20K then 42K. That last one was a killer the first time I did it. I finally did a 100K over 3 days. Keep pressing on SD. I'm so proud of you.

3. piglet

piglet Active Member

clerical
    Oh congratulations, you sure do deserve that medal. :applaudit:. My DD runs 5k and 10k races and says she absolutely loves the support she gets from people watching. But she never ever got a Disney refillable mug.

4. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Active Member

Housewife.
    Perfect. Disney magic everywhere! Well done, Becca. xx

5. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Member

Sign Language Interpreter
    Amazing.

No need to say much more really. Xxx

6. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Active Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    You keep doing us proud kiddo, and inspiring us. Getting ready for kayak season and started working out again. Half an hour on the treadmill at 4.0. Hey its a start!

7. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    Well done, 'skip! Just think what amazing shape you'll be in for Disney, too!!! P.S. I'll be picking your brain this summer for kayaking spots in VA, we're looking to do some camping and kayaking soon!

8. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Active Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Pick away there Becca. I would love to share our rivers with you.