1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

pc/mac/windows/vista/linux

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by UKTim, Jul 19, 2008.

1. UKTim

UKTim Earning my ears

In another thread I was saying that our pc is on its last legs

Ill be looking to see what everyone recommends but there is always the question of whether to get a mac instead? or then if we stick with the pc, upgrade xp to vista which is apparently slow but looks nice? perhaps we could install linux, does anyone here use that?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

darn, I'm popping out to get some shopping :( but I so want to answer this before Dawn comes back and tells you to buy linux :lol:

3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i use a dual boot of XP Pro & Vista Business Ed on my desktop & Vista Home Premium on my laptop....i much prefer vista and i dont find it slow at all, but saying that it depends the spec of your machine

i also might look out for a second hand mac laptop :D

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

:evil:

We have a laptop running Windows XP and can't see any reason to upgrade to Vista. My mum's lappie has Vista and it looks very pretty and that's about as useful as it gets. :lol:

Now. The PC upstairs has a partitioned hard drive. At startup you select either Windows 2000 or the other option currently is Ubuntu Linux.

I mostly use the laptop as it's downstairs but when I'm working upstairs I do like the funky Linux set up. And it's never given me the blue screen of death. :rolleyes008:

5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive never had a BSOD, 99% of that problem is drivers, if you have the right drivers you wont get it :D

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

okkkkkkkkk :)

It kinda depends what you're doing with it because straight out of the gate, if you need a certain application, it's going to suggest a certain path. For example, photoshop is available on windows and macosx. Other apps are only available on windows or only available on macosx or linux.

Assuming that like many folks, you use your computer for web, email, instant messaging, then you can pretty much choose any OS!

Going through them

XP is now pretty solid. It's unremarkable graphics wise and looks dated relative to vista/macosx and the new linux desktops. It works though and requires less powerful machines than vista. It's a good solid sound choice and there is no compelling reason to upgrade to vista other than looks.

Vista needs more memory/cpu than xp and is prettier. It doesn't really give any more functionality, has a truly annoying protection system (which can be turned off).

Linux is free, powerful, flexible and shouldnt be overlooked at all if you don't need to run any apps that are windows (or mac) only. It has great apps for web, IM and some pretty nifty graphics apps. In fact, many people use it day in day out and have for years. Sadly, the desktop, how things work and how they look, hasn't advanced as far as I'd like it to :( so it loses points for me as a desktop even though as a server, it's superb.

Macosx - well its got a unix subsystem so it's more stable than windows in my experience although windows is much better than it used to be :) As ukwdwnut says, nowadays its low level drivers being written poorly that tend to cause problems. The desktop is really advanced, looks great and feels better than windows/linux. Try putting up a video in a window and then move it whilst playing. Even with a great video card on windows it'll tend to tear a bit, it's rock solid on the mac. Unfortunately, macos still has some left over ideas from old macos :( theyre done on purpose like the menu bar across the top rather than inside the window and so on. It's not perfect, but it's in my opinion, the closest to perfection of any of them ;)

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I hate, loathe and despise Vista! :eek: It's a crawler and that's one of the quickest ways to cause my BP to skyrocket! :nono:

Mac, of course. :D Love mine.

Have an IBM laptop (Windows) for work. It's ok, but still too slow with some sites. :shrug:

Now, the new Mac Airbook. :D THAT baby is a screamer! :yes: :9: Take out a second mortgage on the home and have at it! :D

8. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

If you can withstand this:
    USER WANTS TO FART... ALLOW OR DENY?
    USER WANTS TO BREATHE... ALLOW OR DENY?
    USER WANTS A DRINK... ALLOW OR DENY?
    USER WANTS TO MOVE MOUSE 3cms RIGHT... ALLOW OR DENY?

Then you should be okay with the ACP turned on :gy: Seriously, though, if you are a windows fan, and want something familiar, i'd stick with XP. Much nicer to use than vista IMO, plus, no matter how fast your computer is on vista, it will be faster on xp!

If you can afford a mac... definatley, definatley get it. I LOVE mine, it's the best money my parents have ever spent! Brilliant. Its so quick, sleek, looks great, its quiet, and it just feels 'nice' you dont have to trick it to do what you want like a windows computer :lol: