1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Penelope Cruz to Star in POTC 4

Discussion in 'TV/Movies & Celebrity Gossip' started by gwennie81, Mar 25, 2010.

1. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

We heard back in February that Penelope Cruz would be joining Johnny Depp, the remaining cast member of the Pirates franchise for the fourth installment of the series entitled Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides but we weren’t sure what she was cast as. Thanks to an interview with MTV the captain of the billion dollar series, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, explained that Penelope will portray the feisty, Spanish daughter of evil pirate Blackbeard. At some point in the movie she with Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow and apparently some sparks fly.
    Bruckheimer stated:

“She brings a lot of humor to it. And the fact that she’s so feisty… a little romance between Captain Jack and the character that Penelope plays.”
    Cruz has been making some great choices lately. Although I didn’t love the musical Nine, there was something so open about her performance. She’s always been good but lately it seems like she’s reached a new level in her acting, she’s free and unpredictable and completely fascinating to watch. There’s no doubt she can handle a film like this ,and her and Depp had great chemistry back in Blow so it will be great to see them on screen again (wish it was in something more like Blow, but hey, you can’t win them all!)

Ian McShane will be playing Sparrow’s nemesis Blackbeard, who is apparently “the nastiest pirate ever” according to Bruckheimer (sell that villain!). He also confirmed that the rumor that Geoffrey Rush, who has played Barbossa in first three films will in fact be coming on board for the fourth film (I wonder how much he’s making? Any guesses??).

Filming is supposed to start in June so we have plenty of time for more casting news. I’m guessing that with all the star power in the film, Bruckheimer will cast a few up and comers like he did with Kiera Knightley back in the day. The man likes to show that he can take a new face and make it famous (I wonder if he gets their first born?)
    Of course, Bruckheimer has once again promised a fresh approach to the film…
    “We’re going to take a whole new direction,” he said.

2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive still not seen the 1st one yet :lol:

3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

:jawdrop:

No Penelope Cruz for you unless you watch the first 3 :nono:

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

no PC full stop im not a fan anyway lol

5. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

How are they going to explain Keira Knightelys' absence?

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

She's on that island with her boy waiting forever (or ten year increments) for Orlando (or whatever his name was in the movie... :unsure: ) to return...

7. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Apparently patience is a virtue :tongue:

8. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I think it is a pre-Keira and Orlando movie...what happened before.

I'm not thrilled about this. The last one was not very good and this one seems to be going ahead, just to make money.

9. Captain Teague

Captain Teague Earning my ears

Blackbeard's Spanish daugter??? Blackbeard wasn't from Spain. Hmm anxious to see how this works out. I for one can't wait. Yes this pirate looks at 40, but I'm 14 at heart.

10. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I heard it's a prequel. Blackbeard wasn't from Spain but I'm sure there were a lot of Spanish hearts broken around the Caribbean!

Captain Teague: Did a bit of smugglin', ran my share of grass. Made enough money to buy Miami but I p***** it away too fast. Never meant to last, never meant to last.