1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

PETA to protest Seaworld

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by eeyoreguy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

Members of the animal rights group sent out a press release Monday that said "SeaWorld parkgoers will soon receive a message from above, courtesy of PETA."

A small plane carrying a large banner that reads "SeaWorld: Let Whales and Dolphins Out of Prison," will fly over the park Tuesday, according to PETA.

The group said SeaWorld should transfer all dolphins and whales to coastal sanctuaries.

"PETA is concerned that animals at SeaWorld remain frustrated and enraged by their cruel confinement and their inability to hunt, swim, and live in the oceans with natural family pods," reads the release.

The protest comes after the recent death of a trainer at the theme park.

Dawn Brancheau died in an attack by a killer whale at the park on Feb. 25.

SeaWorld resumed all shows involving animals, three days after the attack, without trainers in the water.

The Orange County Sheriff's office recently released witness statements from the attack.
  2. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

WoW, :unsure: how I feel about this . :yes: its true Big T has killed in the past . But as the truth surfaced, it was true that Tilly grabbed Dawn's ponytail in Tillys mind a toy and affection toward Dawn . I don't think Tillys intention was to kill her .
    I thought I wouldn't return to SeaWorld, but decided to go back this trip if anything in memory of Dawn .
    In another way of thinking , IMHO Free Tilly !
  3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

its a hard one to actually judge whether tilly was actually playing, i cant make out if he was or not tbh...im more on the side of no he wasnt
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i think he was playing, i was explaining to DD that just like our boxer plays with us and sometimes gets over enthusiastic and will scratch us -imagine that 100 times bigger and the damage that it could inflict. One things for sure we'll never know but we can't let the him go back in the wild as he won't survive.
  5. ukwdwnut

have you watched the film of it julie?
  6. Britchick

no, i didn't know there was one.
  7. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

so what do they do with him ? Did you see the pool he is being kept in ? It's so sad . I saw videos of the new Believe shows where the trainers are performing with them outside the pool .
    I saw the video Mick, its hard to tell what he was thinking . Minutes before she was giving Tilly affection , but the other whales acting weird was definitely a red flag . As I said so :unsure:
  8. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I do agree with PETA's sentiment, however I find the ways in which they get this across is disrespectful at best. Most of the animal's in sea world wouldn't survive if they where returned to the wild and the breeding efforts that they make, and contributions back to conserving the wild population.
    The fact that the original two orcas (Shamu & Namu) where taken from the wild is devastating, however since they (and subsequent captured wales) have bred in captivity means that now they are here, our only option is to look after them to the best ability possible.

Bottom line is- they are here because of human's selfish nature, but now, the few that care enough to do something about it, are actively conserving these animals and breeding them in captivity. If my entrance fee allows them to continue to do so, then I am more than comfortable with visiting these places.
    No offense meant- correct me if I'm wrong - but you're not an animal behaviorist (And i don't think anyone on this site is, again, correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't think any of us can truly judge whether he is playing or not.
  9. Britchick

Sorry but I wouldn't want to watch a video of someone being killed. Josh you speak a lot of sense for one so young!
  10. josh.p.

I think with these issues it's easy to get caught up in all of the emotional traumas of what has happened. To see it clearly you only need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. :yes:
  11. ukwdwnut

and im certainly not pretending to be, and you arent either josh....i was just giving my view on what I thought, looking at the video of what happened....and correct me if im wrong but im totally entitled to that
  12. ukwdwnut

yes there is and it wasnt very nice viewing either the way the orca was behaving
  13. josh.p.

You're totally entitled to your opinion Mick, however I was just saying I don't think any of us truly know how to judge a whales behavior accurately.

A lot of behavior domesticated animals display is so easy to mistake as playfulness, when it is aggresive, and vice versa.
  14. ukwdwnut

yes very true no one apart from maybe an expert, even they can get it wrong too i guess

what im trying to say is it was not how you usually see the whales behave as being playful, ive never seen a whale at SW behave in that way he looked like he was going absolutely bonkers to me. it was very distressing to watch as you could see how dawn was fighting to get to the poolside and be rescued, at one point she nearly made it
  15. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I have no wish to see a video of someone being killed.

Animals are in captivity due to the selfishness of humanity. To release these animals now would be condemning them to certain death. We just have to do our best by them and try to put animals in a position where they can survive in the wild without us destroying their right to survival.

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of PETA I have for a long time disrespected them for their methods and procedures.
  16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Another one here who completely disrespects PETA. I actually think they have been taken over by people who want to do more harm to animals than do good for them, given their stupid and ineffective methods.

I won't watch anything like that either Dawn, whether it be the trainer at Seaworld, or the young luger who lost his life at the Olympics, I cannot watch something like that. :(

We all have our opinions and that we can share them is a huge strength. :yes: