1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

phone advice?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, Nov 12, 2009.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I may be moving on to a new phone in the near future and frankly, I'm not in the loop with regards to quality, etc.

Here's the story, due to being graduate student, my family and I have gone into a family so that we can talk anytime....I've decided with my life becoming more and more complicated with appts, meetings, seminars, etc., I need to branch out and have my own account, so that i can have a bigger and more rounded plan.

Not too mention I have had problems with the phone I have had, I will be receiving my 4th version of this phone and I'm very angry about this. Since I did not want to extend the plan I bought the phone out right, and this particular phone has taken a dump that many times.

Anyway (thanks for reading thus far), I am looking for a phone that will allow me to keep things organized, maybe check email, as well as, talk and text.

Not sure it matters, but I hope to stay with Verizon

Any advice?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We have Verizon too. I have the iPhone for work, with AT&T and am so unhappy with it, I can't stand it (mostly because of AT&T and their lousy coverage and customer service).

We are looking at new phones for Verizon and will be checking out their newest, Droid. It's supposed to have all the features you mentioned, but we've not looked at it yet.

Maybe you'll want to look into that one too?

3. foreverducky

The Droid? What an interesting name! Will do Tink!

4. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

The iPhones calendar and organistion system is brill, plus there are plenty of apps which will help with that too :yes: I'd fully reccomend it.

5. foreverducky

I wonder which companies carry the iphone? :unsure:

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm Keith, and I'm a cell phone addict :yes:

Actually, I hate people *calling* me :lol: but I love being able to text/email/photo work on stuff all on a phone so that, added to our business which is all about internet comms, means I've tried a LOT of phones.

The only one in the last 6 years that's lasted more than a couple of months before being replaced with something newer is the iphone. I've had the iphone since it came out in 2007 I think it was. It's undoubtedly moved phones on a generation and is far better than I ever expected it to be.

HOWEVER, you need it on a good network or it becomes a large pretty useless brick without its connectivity. So Tink's AT&T experience makes sense to me.

Droid is based, unsurprisingly, on Google's freely available android cell phone operating system and they're working very hard indeed to capture the market back from the iphone. The droid is based on a newer version of the software than most phones out there now and is said to be very very good indeed.

Of course the other alternative is a windows mobile like the HTC HD2 which I think directly competes well with the iphone

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Donna is also going to look at the Droid. And even I like what I've read so far. But I can't find anything about it having International capability.

8. keith

yeah if it doesn't have GSM in there, it'll be pretty useless Internationally (and I can't see GSM in the specs yet)

They have announced a GSM version for the O2 cellular network over here in Europe however

9. foreverducky

:lol: Keith. The resident phone addict. I actually don't talk a lot on mine either, used more for that other stuff. ;)

I have looked at the Droid and wow, it looks impressive. I've read some reviews online and the are pretty positive. I looked at plans as well and they seem to be decently priced. Not too outrageous.

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i love my iphone and don't think i'd ever have another type of phone! except and upgrade of course!

11. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

What Brit said! :yes:

Granted, I hate AT&T. But then, I hate most large companies. Note that I said "most", not "all".

There are exceptions. :laugh2:

Tom :)macwave:... whatever large company could he possibly mean? :apple:)

12. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Me too! :D I know absolutely nothing about phones but my iphone is super easy to use even for me! :lol: I actually have started getting the shakes if it is not within grasping distance :lol:

If I had my iphone on my last network though (orange) it would be completely frustrating as Keith said as I could never get a signal with them.

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The iPhone is only available through AT&T. I have service with them. I LOVE the iPhone. It is FANTASTIC and I can truly say that I probably haven't even used a 1/10th of its capabilities.

I have also had nothing but good service with AT&T. I have cell reception everywhere but my grandma's in Kentucky. Now, when I had Cingular (before they were bought by AT&T) I had nothing but issues.

14. foreverducky

I think I'm going to go to the store and check them out, but right now I'm totally leaning towards the Droid. No iphone for me, I have verizon.

15. foreverducky

Oh and Johnie, I seriously need to visit your grandmothers house. As I remember she has no cell service or internet service....sounds like a vacation for me. I vant to be alone. :D

16. Tink

GET THE DROID!!!!! :9: :9: :9: We just brought Herself's home today. It is an INCREDIBLE phone and has that fabulous Verizon coverage (which blows AT&T out of the water). :9:

You are going to LOVE it!!!!

I got an LG eNV, but that's because I have the iPhone for work. Shhhhhhhh now. Christmas present bought too. We added Seth's Da to our plan, and got him a new LG enV too. :yes: It's his Christmas present. :D

Ducky, you HAVE to see the Droid. I love it so much, that I've sent an email to our corporate office and asked if I can turn in the iPhone for the Droid. :yes:

I'll bet they don't let me, but you can't blame me for trying! :D

Anyway, it's the phone, I'm tellin' ya! :yes:

17. keith

WOW Tink you trend setter you! I can't believe you have a new type of cell phone BEFORE ME!

Becca got a new camera, you got the droid, I'm feeling rather left out now!

VERY interested to hear you like the droid so much

I've been reading the tech reviews and although theyre pointing out the odd techie mutter about it, everyone seems to be agreeing that the droid has much better cell call quality than the iphone etc.

18. foreverducky

Oh, that's fabulous news! I plan to check them out this Wednesday. You know, you gotta touch it and feel it. :D

19. Tink

It's easier to use than the iPhone for openers. :yes: It is able to voice dial, that is a huge plus for me. I know the newer iPhones voice dial, but my 3 G doesn't and that's a real problem. You can download your own software, not that we will, but you could. :D

It's too wicked cool to use. I just can't stand it!!! LOL. How's that for tekknikal explanation. There are a couple of complaints about the odd one here and there not working out of the box, and we did have the initial one lock up when the camera was used, but the sales person at Verizon immediately, without asking went and got another. He has the droid too, and said his had never done that, so he wasn't taking any chances.

I'm a little jealous of Herself. :sigh: I have the iPhone so couldn't justify paying for a droid for me, so we used all of our discounts to get it for her (came to a total of $99 after all rebates, etc.).

Go play with one Keith! You'll LOVE it! :D

20. Tink

Oh, meant to say that Herself phoned me on her way to work this morning and used the speaker phone feature. It was quite clear! Clearer than any other speaker phone on any other cell including the iPhone. (But to be fair, I've not yet FOUND the speaker phone feature on the not so intuitive iPhone... I think it's the first "Mac" product that I'm not madly in love with. :sorry: ).