1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

phone advice?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, Nov 12, 2009.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Wow ok positive review then!

It's not out in the UK yet and no REAL information about which network will get it, how much it'll be etc.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Verizon claims the original cost of the phone is $500 and some change. Not hardly. :lol: If you do not have the many rebates that we did, you will end up spending $200 on the phone, but that's not terrible for the newest technology. We spent the $99 because of our long term association with Verizon (gave us "special selection" rebate, in addition to the renewal rebates).

I would spend $200 on it though, and be happy to do so! :yes: (Of course, I can say that because I didn't have to, eh)? :lol:

3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Oh, i wonder if I could swindle some rebates!

4. foreverducky

Tink, did you buy one of the cases? I'm look at the hard plastic case, but then the silicone one looks decent too.

5. foreverducky

I ended up purchasing the Eris one. Similar to Droid, but without the keypad. :) It should be arriving on Wednesday. I'm stoked.

6. Tink

We looked at the Eris too. :yes: No, we didn't get any covers of a any sort. Herself order a carrying "pouch" as she wears her's at her waist (as skinny people can do) but that's it.

I had a terrible tragedy today. My brand new LG went swimming and drowned well and duly. $192 later and I have a replacement. :( :( :(

Don't sent them swimming. They won't survive. At least it wasn't the Droid. :sigh:

7. foreverducky

Oh no! Definitely noted....phones don't swim. :(

I can not wait to get the new one. I ended up with the hard case cover. It needs to last 2 years. :) So no swimming or jumping off something and landing on the floor either.

8. keith

Well we finally got a Droid (aka Motorola Milestone in the UK) in at work today so I've been having a play.

It's very impressive to be fair. Motorola never really seem to push the boundaries these days, but I think the Google Android OS has done their job for them.

It's very fast, easy to use as Tink says and I think it has the power to divide the world into two, those who love the iphone and the way it works, and those who love the droid way.

Some very nice apps, google maps with traffic layers etc and some very nice voice technology, even google voice searching and so on.

Unlike the iphone it can multitask which makes a big difference, yet to see how much it drains the battery

Voice and speaker volume/quality better than the iphone, not that I have a problem with the iphone :) but the droid is more like nokia (best quality calls IMHO)

They've both got their pluses and minuses, both are great and do the job admirably but if you've tried an iphone and couldn't get on with it, the droid may well be what you've been waiting for :yes:

9. Tink

Thank you for your comprehensive review! It's good to hear from someone who truly knows and understands the iPhone (unlike me). I've always really liked Nokias, although we've not had one in quite some time.

Never had a Motorolla, but the Droid could make me a believer. :lol:

I think once I learn more about the iPhone and get some apps that I can use (some of those free ones are nothing but rubbish) I may like it better. It's not going to get a truly fair shot from me though, as it's connected to AT and T... nuff' said. :sigh:

10. keith

yep :( the iphone needs a good reliable fast data network and that's just not at&t is it.

Anyway, I'm certainly impressed with the droid

11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The GSM feature would stop me then. I'm looking at the Blackberry Tour and Blackberry Storm as a replacement for my Blackberry World Edition. Donna is pretty well sold on the Droid.

Sorry to hear your new LG went swimming Tink.

12. keith

The storm is useless. I can see from the stats on our blackberry server (thousands of people on it and we can see all the devices they use) that most people have stopped using it and gone back to the bold.

13. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

Wow, Keith, you may have sold me! John and I walked across the street from work the other day to check out the Droid.

I could have gotten the HTC version for $99, but I did NOT like the on screen keyboard. No matter where I pressed, I got the wrong letter. The Motorola version, however, with the slide out keyboard, really appealed to me. My problem, tho, is that I would have to pay extra for a data plan - and I don't have one now for my current phone, and I don't use my phone for internet use. I really can't justify the added expense, I guess. But I do like the Droid...

14. keith

honestly I love my iphone and I didn't expect to like the droid at all. I only took an interest in it at work because Tink had praised it.

I'm surprised how good it is though. The keyboard is solid and well spaced, about the best I've seen for the size.

It IS *VERY* data-aware though. Not to say you couldn't use it without a data plan and it supports wifi anyway so that's an option

Definitely a very nice piece of kit

15. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I've always said that Motrolla could do with getting someone else to write their software! It's always been terrible, but their designs are ace. The droid does sound like the perfect alternative to the iPhone... is it cheaper, too?

I LOVE the look of the palm pre, if I had to switch from my iPhone it'd be to a palm pre or a droid. :yes:

16. keith

pam pre - rubbish :(

We were eagerly awaiting it believe me but awful trashy software not yet ready for prime time, TERRIBLE battery life. Avoid.

At the moment, given windows mobile is somewhat out of the game, it's droid or iphone really :yes:

17. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

i have had an iphone for 1 week and dont know how i got by without it its fantastic the apps are great and nothing i have found is rubbish on it i just love it :)

18. keith

Interestingly AT&T lost their court case against verizon's ad campaign. Seems to confirm what you've been saying about AT&T Tink

At issue is an ad campaign called "There's a map for that," which is a takeoff of Apple's "There's an app for that" campaign for the iPhone. In the Apple ads, various iPhone apps are promoted to show that the iPhone platform has an app for virtually any need. In Verizon's case, the comparison is of AT&T's and Verizon's respective 3G networks, using a map of the United States to demonstrate each. Verizon's 3G map covers most of the country, while AT&T's is a spotty, barely visible web of tiny strands of coverage.

In other words, Verizon's ads and their depiction of each 3G network are accurate.

AT&T complained that the ads distorted the fact that AT&T's overall wireless network, which includes 3G coverage as well as older-generation, slower, non-3G networks, is more widespread than what is shown in the ads. But the Verizon ads never compared the overall size of both networks. They only compare 3G coverage, which is what smartphone users are looking for since the 3G areas transmit data at acceptable speeds.

"Verizon's side-by-side, apples-to-apples comparison of its own 3G coverage with AT&T's confirms what the marketplace has been saying for months: AT&T failed to invest adequately in the necessary infrastructure to expand its 3G coverage to support its growth in smartphone business, and the usefulness of its service to smartphone users has suffered accordingly," a Verizon court filing reads. "AT&T may not like the message that the ads send, but this Court should reject its efforts to silence the messenger."

The court did just that. And while that may seem like bad news for AT&T, the truth is, no one was ever fooled by the company's legal grandstanding. It's 3G network is widely considered the be the shoddiest of the major wireless networks in the United States, a fact that was coincidentally confirmed this past month in the latest issue of Consumer Reports, which rated AT&T's overall cell phone network
    as the worst of the major carriers. Even its voice network received the dreaded lowest possible score from the publication. When it comes to "irreparable harm," AT&T is its own worst enemy.

19. Tink

I spoke to our National Director today and told him that having to deal with AT &T is negatively effecting my work and my ability to do my job. I asked him if he could get me the Droid and get me back on Verizon. Interestingly enough, he refuses to use the iPhone because he doesn't want AT&T!

He said he would "try" but that's not very reassuring is it? I'll just have to start logging dropped calls and time invested in reconnecting (time delay to get to an area where I have service).

I am really pleased that Verizon did not misrepresent their coverage.