1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides breaks box office records

Discussion in 'TV/Movies & Celebrity Gossip' started by Wendy, May 24, 2011.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides has broken box office records to become the film with the biggest international opening tickets sales figures of all time. Johnny Depp's fourth outing as Captain Jack Sparrow opened last week. And it hauled in a treasure chest of $256.3 million (£159 milllion), exceeding the previous high set by Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince.

In the UK, the film sailed easily to the Number One spot, bagging £11.6 million over its five-day opening, achieving the highest box office figures of 2011. It emerged as Disney's fourth biggest film opening in the UK.

Gobally, the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced movie opened with an estimated $346.5 million (£215 million), earning it a position as the fourth biggest-ever global opening behind Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, Spider-Man 3 and previous Pirates Of The Caribbean film, At World’s End.

In total the franchise has now pulled in more than $3 billion (£1.8 billion) in the global box office.
  2. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

The movie fell short in the US to the opening of "At World's End" which brought in $114.7 million in 2007. Though the domestic take of $90.1 fell within their projections of $80-100 million and was the biggest opening so far this year.
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I think it's great that records are being set, but isn't it really all relative? I paid $13.25 for EACH ticket. I can remember some older movies where I paid considerably less that $5.00/ticket.
  4. Wendy

:yes: I agree John.
  5. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

This is true and I have read articles that said if they would consider cost of inflation that Gone With the Wind would still be the highest grossing movie ever.
  6. Wendy

I love Gone with the Wind :D