1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Pirates of the Caribbean - What the...?!?!

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Tony G, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

OK, it's been bugging me for years, but I've never really voiced it. What on Earth is the story of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction?

I've ridden it more times than I can remember but I just can't work out what the storyline is supposed to be - it seems to me like a collection of scenes with pretty elaborate animatronic figures doing 'pirate-y stuff'. I ride it ever visit in the hope that something will 'click' but, alas, it never has.

Truth be told, without a storyline, I've not formed an emotional attachment to the attraction, so I find it really difficult to understand how some call it their favourite attraction in WDW.

Knowing as I do that all Disney attractions are stories or journeys, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on something. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only numpty on the forum?!

If you're in 'the other' camp and do understand the story, could you please put me out of my misery?!
  2. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

POTC is a firm favourite with me. I "yo ho" all the way through the queue area. :D
    The story is simple. It's the tale of a bunch of pirates and what they get up to.
    Next time you go, don't overthink it. Just immerse yourself in the ride and marvel at the theming. I still get goosebumps when the galleon comes in sight. :)
  3. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

So it really is a bunch of animatronic pirates doing pirate-y stuff?!?!

Oh. I actually got that. I was convinced there was an actual storyline!

I must admit, I do love the sheer scale of the galleon scene.