1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Planning our 1st Disney Trip...Need help picking a resort

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by goobblakeman, Dec 28, 2010.

1. goobblakeman

goobblakeman Earning my ears

We are on a budget of course for our 1st trip to Disney. I'm having trouble picking a resort. I have a 7 yr old and a 4 year old. It will be me, my husband and my Mom traveling with us. When I look on the Disney website and I put in all of us for a room it says we exceed the limits. Then I do the 4 of us and get a price and then put in 1 person for my mom's room and get almost as high of a price for just her. I don't want to stay in a dump but would like to stay at Disney. Are the value Movie etc. resorts nice enough?

2. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

hiya and a huge welcome :wave:

we really love all stars and pop century. They're fun and easy

sure the deluxe resorts have better locations but pop century is very close to epcot and the studios so its only a short bus ride

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

There are only certain rooms at WDW that will support 5 people. I know there are some at Port Orleans Riverside, which is a moderate resort. However, you really may want to look at any of the value resorts as the kids would love them. I believe it is All Star Movies that currently also has suites which may accommodate all 5 of you. In 2012, I believe, they will be opening a new value resort over near Pop Century that will also have suites.

4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I thought it was the Music that had the suites. :unsure:

The values are lovely. The food courts are good. Not too mention, I'm thinking with this being your first trip that you will be spending most of your time at the parks, than at the room. I think your little ones will love the value resorts too, they're bigger than life. :D

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

The Values are great for the money I think!

As Uscwest says, the Art of Animation resort near pop century will be opening in 2012. It’ll have themed room interiors in the nearly 2,000 new units — 1,120 family suites in The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo wings and 864 themed rooms in The Little Mermaid wings.

Attached Files:

6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Hi goobblakeman and :spraywelcome: to secrets.

It is the All Star Music resort that has family suites. There's more information about the resort on the Disney site here.

There's nothing to compare to being in a Disney on-property resort. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... I'd rather be on-property than anywhere else!)

7. Casey3557

Casey3557 Earning my ears

Planning your first Disney trip is lots of fun.....but so many choices to make! :unsure:

The value resorts are terrific for folks on a travel budget (and who isn't? You are in good company! :yes:). They are very cleverly designed and really quite fun to see. They feature transportation to the parks and each one has a food court.

If you opt for one of the suites, it will give you some nice extra advantages - 2 bathrooms :)yes:!) and a mini-fridge/microwave/coffeemaker. Being able to store/heat some snacks (bottled water/juice/soda, milk/cereal, yogurt, leftovers (big portions rule at WDW), etc. is a big bonus, IMHO. It will save on trips to the food court or store. And the extra bathroom......a MAJOR plus when everybody is getting ready to head out in the morning!

Also, if your travel dates are not set in stone, run the numbers for different times of the year. Prices are obviously higher during holiday seasons and in the summer months. Look at the "shoulder seasons".

Here are some links to check out. Enjoy! Planning really is part of the fun, although it may not always seem that way! :wave:

All Star Music Fact Sheet
    MouseSavers.com - Disney World Resort Hotel Discount Codes & Deals

8. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I simply love pop century but also love Coronado spring resort! If I were you have a look at pop century ne maybe ask for joint room? I am not sure if they do them

9. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

For your first trip you must stay on property.

If you all want to stay together, check out the cabins at the Wilderness Resort. They have a full-size bed and bunk beds in the bedroom (for the family) and a pulldown full size bed in the sitting room with a full kitchen. They look to be ~$355 per night during the regular season which would be the same as getting two rooms at a moderate resort per night. Plus, with the kitchen, you can eat breakfast in your cabin
    much cheaper than spending ~$5-10 per person at the dining hall in the morning. Also, you can keep snacks and beverages cool to take to the parks, which is also a money-saver.

Or, if the parents want one room and gramma and kids to share another, I had no problem booking adjoining rooms at the All-Star Movies when my mom & I wanted one room but be close to my gramma & aunt. If you call, rather than book online, the Cast Members can work magic.

Like the others were posting, there are suites at All-Star Music, Caribbean Beach, and others, but may be more expensive for you all to share one suite (and still be in the same room) rather than requesting adjoining rooms at a Value resort.

I am partial to the Value just because that is normally where I stay. My fave so far has been the Love Bug building at All-Star Movies. Herbie is just too cute!

10. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

My point is, call rather than book online. If you find any discount specials online, write the special's code down and mention it to the Cast Member. They will more than likely be able to honor it over the phone.

You can not only request adjoining rooms but also a room on the ground level, close to parking, close to the main check-in building/dining hall, close to the bus corral, and/or close to the pools...(or if you prefer, not close to any of those). There may or may not be an extra charge for any of these requests but, it can't hurt to ask. It was not an extra charge for me to request adjoining ground-level rooms close to parking but it may vary between resorts.

For Value Rooms, you can request a roll-away bed, refridgerator, and coffee maker for an extra fee per room. Not sure what those costs are.