1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Polynesian or Grand Floridian?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by AKLnut, Feb 25, 2011.

1. AKLnut

AKLnut Imagineer

Im trying to decide between Disneys polynesian and grand floridian resorts. Im not too bothered by the price difference although its a factor its a small one.

Which has the best access to the magic kingdom and is the nicest all round to stay in

one thing I know is given how much we're spending I dont want to be disappointed
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

As far as access to MK they are both equal IMHO. One is two monorail stops, one is one and both have boats. From the Polynesian you can also take a short walk to the TTC and ride the Ferry Boat.
  3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I love the GF and my DW and I have stayed there loads of times...we even grant ourselves a few days there each year using our DVC points despite us owning a villa!
    Location wise there`s not a lot to choose between the GF or the Poly. The Poly is very near to the TTC and 2 stops away from the MK on the monorail, whereas the GF is only one stop away from the MK on the monorail. Both have a regular ferry boat service to the MK also.

Loads of folk rave over the Poly although to me it seems to be a bit dark and oppressive, but that`s only my opinion.
    The GF has some great restaurants, Citrico`s, Narcoossee`s and of course V & A`s, so you won`t go hungry! [They do a pretty mean breakfast at the Cafe also.]
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We were terribly disappointed in the Poly when we stayed there for Herself's birthday. :( It's dark, it's old, the pool is kinda' crummy and there is no hot tub. The staff have become desultory (rumors have it that there are new managers who are difficult) and it lacks the Disney welcoming feel.

Hands down, GF over Poly.
  5. Casey3557

Casey3557 Earning my ears

I've never been a Poly fan. We stayed there once as part of the Disney cruise and I was underwhelmed. To be fair, it was before a major rehabbing. The room was dark and a fair walk to the main building.

We enjoy the GF a lot. We have stayed in Boca Chica a few times and enjoyed it a lot because it is near the pool. It is kind of nice IMHO to be away from the main building; it is indeed lovely, but with all the hustle/bustle and comings/goings it can be quite noisy and overwhelming.
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

It`s for that very reason that we always opt for a room at the GF in the Sago Cay Building overlooking the marina.
    Being away from the pool it`s a quiet area, yet it`s convenient for the side exit from the resort without having to go through the lobby.