1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Disney & Orlando Secrets Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community...
    It's easy, fast, totally free (and always will be) and you'll be able to start chatting immediately :)

Polynesian or Grand Floridian?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by dvcjane, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dvcjane

dvcjane Imagineer

Planning for next year :D what would you do? polynesian or grand floridian, I dont want to split my stay because will be planning a cruise too

2. Val

Val Disney Secrets

for theming I love love love the Poly. GF is a little too chintzy for me personally. But loads of clients love GF.

Whatever you choose you will enjoy I am sure.

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've stayed at the Poly and it was nice, but I found it very noisy. If I could afford the extra I'd go for the GF :yes: I really enjoyed wandering round there it was much nicer :D

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Another vote for the GF here. :overhere:
    We`ve stayed there loads of times and it feels like home as soon as we arrive nowadays.
    That`s not to say that the Poly isn`t nice, but to me it always seems very dark and oppressive and furthermore the GF has much nicer restaurants.

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I preferred the GF too! It just has that sedate quality feel to everything there. Love the restaurants and the band etc.

Im ok with the polynesian but never *quite* understand the folks who stay at the poly every single time but heck, you can't go far wrong with either really can you ;)

6. MinnieMouse

MinnieMouse Earning my ears

They are both lovely places to stay. I have been fortunate to stay in both.

The theming in the Poly is fantastic and Ohanas is a cool place to eat. I would also recommend doing the Luau.

However, for over all glamour and elegance my vote has to go to the Grand Floridian. It is such a gorgeous hotel and has the best restaurant on property the fantastic V & A.

When you first see the Grand Floridian it takes your breath away. I will always remember approaching it by boat on the seven seas lagoon and being blown away by its sheer beauty. :p015:

7. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

GF gets my vote having stayed their twice. Love everything about it and woudl stay there every time if budget allowed.

I have dined several times at the Poly and also find it a bit dark.

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Someone I know who works at the Poly calls the GF the Red Roof Inn! :lol:

I would like to stay at both. :yes: I particularly like the main building of the GF and Mizners! :D Slowhand pointed out where he and his wife were staying once (an end room near the water) and that looked like such a lovely location. :yes:

I like the pool bar there too. I've heard that it's stuffy and pretentious, and I've heard that it's just as warm and friendly as the All Stars can be. :yes:

But then, I always want to stay at whatever resort I've not stayed at yet! :D

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:lol: there is a resort on SR535 that always reminds me of the GF. I can't remember the name of it right now.

I would prefer to stay at the Poly. I just love it there.

The GF is very pretty and everyone has always been very nice when I've been in but I'd feel funny carrying a Wal-Mart bag in there. :lol: probably just me.

10. Tinker

Tinker Addicted to Mickey

How about it Johnie . LOL
    Haven't stayed at either yet . Will be at The Poly one night as an early 50th bday present to my DH .