1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

pop century or port orleans?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by mkTink, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mkTink

mkTink Earning my ears

hiya

I have to make a choice and soon for our 2009 stay

pop century will be standard summer season which I think will be about $115 a night and port orleans about another $40 or so a night but it looks so beautiful.

Are there any other advantages to staying at port orleans over pop century?

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I haven't stayed at port orleans but i have heard rave reviews and seen lots of lovely photos and would like to try it.

I have however stayed at the coronado resort (another moderate) and to be honest i would probably save the money and stay in a value like Pop. We found Pop to be very comfortable, you are hardly in your room anyway.

main differences

i believe some rooms there have a trundle bed so you can sleep 5

there is a curtain between the main bedroom and sinks and bathroom so you can dress in privacy.

the decorations in the room are more intricate, there is a free fridge i think?? please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

the main pool has a slide

there is boat transportation to downtown disney.

can't think of any more at the moment- i'm sure others will add to it.

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

One vote for Port Orleans (Riverside). Our favorite resort! Advantages? A sit down restaurant (Boatwrights), a lounge (River Roost Lounge with Yeehaw Bob, the piano player), wonderful grounds, boats to Downtown Disney. Two sinks in the bath area (as opposed to one at PC). If any of those things matter to you.

We've stayed at Pop Century also and while it's adequate, it just doesn't have the same ambience to me that Port Orleans does.

Tom (who does so enjoy a good Mint Julep)

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think that's a good summary from Britchick :yes:

I really like both pop and port orleans!

Pop has a kind of disney excitement, as do the all star resorts. You really know you're at Disney and its all fun and bright colours. The location is pretty good too, close to epcot and mgm and not THAT far from downtown/mk. You can be quite a way from the main building but thats true at port orleans too.

port orleans, both riverside and french quarter are beautiful. There's a more relaxed feel to them than pop century. The boat to downtown disney is a nice ride in itself and you can relax around the resorts easier than pop century.

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

forgot about piano Bob!!! yes, he's great and there's a Jazz musician called Elliot Dyson at the scat cat lounge down there at port orleans french quarter.

6. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Ive never stayed and port orleans... but have stayed at pop and loved it!!!!

7. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Another Pop lover here!

I miss my bed at Pop...

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

If indeed the difference in price is only $40 and that extra per day won't bust your budget then I would definitely stay at Port Orleans. I love the ambiance there much better than Pop even though Pop is a wonderful value resort.

9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I loved the value we stayed at (ASMo) but we stayed at POR last year as it was not a lot more for us and we loved it even more. It is beautiful and I loved walking around the resort in the evenings, and the carriage rides and taking a surrey bike out for a spin around the resort and the boat to DTD is a great added bonus.

I think it is worth it if it isn't going to impact your spending money for your holiday, if other things you want to do have to take a back seat for the resort upgrade then the value it would be for us :yes:

10. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

We stayed at PO - Riverside twice & we love it. To me the biggest advantage to it over Pop would be the size. a few less people to have to fight at meal time, busstops & pools. It's a great place, very scenic & nice rooms. Nice restaurant & food court & I love the gift shop.

I've never stayed at Pop Century but we did visit it once about two or three years back & my kids fell in love with the looks of the place. I think if you have young kids this would be a great place.