1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

POR or POFQ or Any Other Moderate

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by ukwdwnut, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

hmmmmmmm now this has got me thinking about POR and POFQ

would you say it would be better for me to stay at FQ as its smaller, but seeing as it has no restaurant im totally in two minds now.....been looking at riverside for weeks now and it looks superb

or

what moderate would anyone suggest?

to date ive ben against the DDP mainly as we just float and dont want to be tied to being anywhere at a certain time and place.

but i sooooo want to stay onsite, even if i dont like it atleast ive tried one, so im prepared for one week onsite and a week in a villa for next year

so for all you resort experts

suggestions on a postcard please :D

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I stayed the CS and loved it. While I'm not into the southwest theme, it wasn't overwhelming. The food court was fabulous! The place is huge though and I couldn't imagine being stuck in one of the rooms way off there yonder.

I have visited POR and FQ. I don't particularly care for the south (no offense to any southern dwellers), so the POR was just too much for me. But I did enjoy the vibe from the FQ.

3. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

I'll let you know il get back Mick. But if it's only 2 of you going will a villa be to big?

4. ukwdwnut

ok thx billie :)

noooooooooooo only a 3 bed this time siobhan...works out cheaper than the homewood suites for a week :D

btw do you wanna go on the planner? if so send me all your info in a pm :D

5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Loved Riverside Mick, the building we were in was Parterre Place and we were the water side of it so it was only a 5 minute walk to the main building or pool - you do have to cross wooden bridges though if that is a consideration :unsure: FQ is much more orderly and as you said smaller.

You could be much further away at Riverside though although I'm sure you could request a close building on medical grounds.

6. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

Mick knowing about your health issues we stayed french quarter its very compact we were in block 3 we were close to parking and the boat to downtown disney i mean real close also we were close to the centre where the buses left and the pool it was all so close from block 3 the food court is basic but as i said downtown is a short boat ride away

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

We absolutely love POR. Alligator Bayou for us! Talk about the Deep South (hums Dixie quietly while typing).

Building 14 is ridiculously close to the lobby and main bus stop (assuming they're still numbered the same). Literally right next door. :yes:

We'll be there in September, y'all!

Tom :)macwave:... y'all come back now, ya'hear!)

8. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Cannot say enough good things about POR. Stayed there for the first time over the 4th and we loved it!! :thumbsup:

9. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

I love love love POFQ they do have a food court! OHH and the Beignets! Hmmmmmmm

10. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

We stayed at POR in 2007 Mick in one of the Mansion building (Oak Manor) overlooking the courtyard and the river it was lovely. We would recommend this resort to anyone its lovely! :yes:

11. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I stayed at CSR in Cabanas 8B. Cabanas section has a bit less of a southwestern feel--more a coastal feel--than Casitas, which has a bit less of the southwestern feel than Ranchos.

It is a good-sized resort, and it took me forever to walk from my room to Pepper Market. Well, slightly exagerated, but it did take a while, as my only speed was compound slow at the time. :rolleyes: However, my room was near Bus Stop 4 and even closer to many parking spaces.

The buses can be used internally at CSR, as they loop around the resort before exiting it. I tried it once, but it really was more convenient to walk--and better for me! :lol:

12. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I stayed at CSR too and absolutely adored it, especially the food options. However I wanted to try somewhere different this time. Being the quiet retiring, shy person that I am (amn't I Mick? :lol:) I have gone for POFQ. I have no idea whether I have gone for the right option - we will see. However it is all in the hands of the lovely Val. I am hoping to fit in a few days in New York as well so it should be one great trip!

Margaret

13. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

I know this thread is about helping Mick make up his mind on a resort, but I have to say--hearing everyone talk about POFQ and POR is making me really happy that I opted for POFQ with a longer stay instead of WL and a short stay!
    My kids have only ever seen WL, but I'm sure the pool area at POFQ will win them over in a heartbeat. It's so reassuring to hear from people who've been to POR/POFQ and have good things to say about it!
    *looks at the calendar longingly, wishing it was December already!*

14. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Vixyenne - we bought DVC last time we were there and my only reservation about buying was that we wouldn't be able to stay at POR with it (well without using lots of points) - we have actually tagged 3 nights onto the end of our AKV stay just to be able to stay there agin we loved it that much.

I love the music around the resorts, the crickety bridges at Riverside, just the feel of the place around the marina and the boat to DTD tops it off for me :yes:

15. ukwdwnut

brilliant info all thank you so much :hug2::hug2:

16. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

IS there a restaurant at POFQ what about a bar?

17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I;ve stayed at all the mods except French Quarter.

CBR is huge. If staying there, I would make sure to get a preferred location. Wasn't particularly imressed with the food court. Didn't eat at the TS restaurant.

CSR is awesome. Really liked it here. We typically go over just to eat in the food court. It is an awesome deal if your using the DDP.

Stayed at POR a few times. We really like this one. The food court is nice. THey have a pasta line where you pick out your items and the chef cooks it for you then. Piano Bob is there several nights a week and he is loads of fun. This is the first place we stayed at on Disney property...back when it was called Dixie Landings and considered the budget hotel.

18. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

Here's what the Disney website says:

Dining Options
    Dining at Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter includes breakfast, lunch and dinner and features a food court, 2 lounges and in-room pizza delivery. Additional dining is also available at nearby Disney's Port Orleans Resort –Riverside.

19. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

Now you all have got me thinking about POFQ, LOL...can anyone tell me what the rooms are like? I poked around a link on the Disney website that gave independent room ratings (click that link to see what people said).

Some of the writeups made POFQ sound dingy, outdated, and also made the Mousekeeping staff sound like a serious bunch of slackers! I know I'm booking POFQ to be budget-smart, but can anyone here vouch for the quality of the rooms and the staff? I don't want to pay Wilderness Lodge prices, but I also sort of expect Disney staff to rise to the occasion no matter which of the hotels they work at. :shrug1: I don't like the thought of having to make a special request in order to get bedding changed or the floors vacuumed...am I being picky?

20. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ok, honest and true experience from the times we've stayed at POFQ last time being June 2009.

The resort is great. I mean it's clean, wonderful feel, small enough to walk around without anything being too far away. Boat ride to DTD is great and most staff are wonderful in my experience.

Now all that having been said, we found the housekeeping staff poor. They were friendly enough and waited until we were out of the room (we tend to come and go at weird times) so that was great. However, the room was only ever given a cursory vacuum whilst we were there. They never cleaned under the beds or between the bed/unit, under tables and so on.

That aside, the rooms were not dingy at all and even though I believe the housekeeping was poor, to be honest, it's perhaps me bordering on being overly fussy.

I'm trying to find a good way to explain it and I guess it comes down to this. As a couple, we came and went and the room had always been cleaned and the beds made. If we'd had a baby however we wouldn't have let it crawl around on the floor given the items we discovered under the bed/cupboards etc :/ so not to say it was generally dirty, but it wasn't immaculate.