1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

POR v POFQ dilemma

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by mmouse, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mmouse

mmouse Earning my ears

ok major dilemma here between disneys port orleans riverside or french quarter

can someone run down the differences for me and which one you prefer? :worship:
  2. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    POR AND POFQ ARE BOTH GREAT RESORTS I LIKE POR BETTER JUST THE ATMOSPHERE AND THE LAY OUT
  3. mmouse

mmouse Earning my ears

Thanks Robert :) I think most people have said they prefer pofq because its smaller why do you prefer por?

ps. I thought typing in capitals was shouting, did I do something wrong? :unsure:
  4. robertcraig

Sorry about the capitals only meant to do por and pofq in capitals. Ithink i like por because i stayed there last year and had a great time going back this year.used facilities at both resorts:sorry::sorry::sorry:
  5. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

I love both of them I think theyre the best value in Disney
  6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I think they're both great also. But we like POR better. Specifically the Alligator Bayou section. Here's why.

POR has two sections in it. Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou. Magnolia Bend is reminiscent of the old southern mansions. Alligator Bayou however has more of an out-in-the-woods in a cabin kind of feel to it. With both POFQ and the Magnolia Bend sections of POR, we feel like we're in the middle of a crowd so to speak. Lot's of comings and goings. Or so it feels to us.

Alligator Bayou section in POR just feels a bit more isolated. Doesn't seem crowded or noisy. Just kind of quiet and lazy. Kind of like sitting in an inner tube and drifting down a lazy river kind of feeling. That's why we like POR Alligator Bayou better. When I'm on vacation, being relaxed seems to be a very good thing. And I just relax better at POR Alligator Bayou. But, you're still no more than a 5 or 10 minute walk to the hustle and bustle of the main building.

Hope this helps!

Tom :)macwave:... likes being relaxed!)
  7. robertcraig

I think the boat service to downtown disney is a big plus
  8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We love both resorts but tend to lean more towards POR. They have Piano Bob at night and if you want a sit down meal they have Boatwrights. We particularly like the Magnolia Bend section.
  9. Casey3557

Casey3557 Earning my ears

It depends on what is important to you, IMHO. I enjoy both but like POFQ a smidge more because it is so easy to get around. The last time we were there, I thought the rooms were a bit dark, but that's about it. POR is like being at a plantation in the old South and is quite lovely as well. I think both are excellent choices in the moderate category.

POR is a much larger resort with 4 bus stops. There are two areas - Mansion and Bayou. The rooms are pretty much the same, but decorated somewhat differently. Sizing is identical. And only the Bayou rooms come with trundle beds, which are helpful if you need extra space for a small child. One larger pool with some smaller "neighborhood" pools. Food court + sit-down restaurant. And you can have a carriage ride, if that suits you.

POFQ is a very compact, walkable resort. One bus stop (buses are shared with POR). No sit-down restaurant (they used to have a very nice one!:cry1:but it's been closed for awhile), but a nice-size food court. One pool area with a great slide.

Both have bus transportation to the parks and DTD. Both provide watercraft transport to DTD. You can walk from one to the other. Both have general stores.

Here are some articles that might provide some extra feedback to you ~~

Port Orleans - Riverside Fact Sheet and Video
    Port Orleans - French Quarter Fact Sheet
    MouseSavers.com - Best Values at the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels