1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by wishesandpixiedust, Jun 23, 2010.

1. wishesandpixiedust

wishesandpixiedust Earning my ears

We are planning on staying at Port Orleans for our trip next year. We loved CBR last time we wen't but we want to try different resorts each trip. I was all set on Riverside but then some friends of ours just got back from DW and they stayed at French Quarter and said they like it better than Riverside. SO, after researching them both a little more I thought maybe we would just stay at Coronado, but then I noticed it was a couple thousand dollars more (anyone no why that is when they are all moderate resorts?), so I'm back to the French Quarter or Riverside decision. Help me out here.

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

We always stay at Riverside. It's our favorite resort! :yes:

We stay in the Alligator Bayou section because even when the parks and other resorts appear to be crowded, that area of Riverside doesn't seem to be. It's just peaceful and quiet. A great way to relax from a hectic day in the parks!

Just a nice, relaxing, Southern style, vacation.

Tom :)macwave:... Southern himself!)

3. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Coronado is a little more expensive than POFQ but should not be a couple of thousand dollars more. I believe that it's only maybe $10 -20 a day more. It has been remodeled and has great queen sized beds I guess. Johnnie may know the answer to that one! POFQ is quieter than Riverside. Wishes are you state side or UK?

4. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    i am going to port orleans riverside this year went to coronado last year excelent resort just wanted to try somewhere different

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We have stayed at both POR and POFQ. They are both extremely nice resorts. Both have food courts, POR has a sit down restaurant also. You can use pools at both. When we stay at POR we stay in the Mansions.

6. Crazycatlady

Crazycatlady Harambe!

Riverside definately:yes:

French quarter has scary giant mask thingies. Waterwheel and peaceful at riverside but can be quite a trek to the food hall

7. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Especially if you want to take your refillable mugs back to your room before you get on the bus :yes:

8. catrancher

We don't do that. We fill them in the morning with coffee and get on the bus to the park. Once there, we get a locker and store the mugs in there. Also any other little things that we buy and don't want to wait to have delivered to the room. When we go back to the resort, we grab our stuff (including our mugs) from the locker, ride the bus back to the resort, stop in the food court to fill the mugs with our favorite beverage du jour and go back to the room and collapse!

Tom :)macwave:... works for us!)

9. Skywatcher

See with the boys we had 4 large mugs to drag around all day and we never thought about a locker, infact when we went it may have been in that period post 9/11 when lockers were not being used now I think about it

10. catrancher

Ahhh.... got it!

Next time though, you may want to give it a try. We find it to be terribly convenient. And, if you're park hopping, you can get a receipt for your key deposit at one park, take it to the next park, and all you have to pay is the key deposit. The actual locker fee "transfers" if you will from one park to the next.

Tom :)macwave:... it's handy!)

11. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Having stayed at both POFQ and POR, the only one we would return to is French Quarter. It's very pretty and much quieter. :thumbsup:
    Also it's much easier to get on the bus there as it's often full before it reaches POR. (Unless they've split the bus service since we last went.)

12. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Very useful info!! Thanks Catrancher!! :yes:

13. Skywatcher

Thanks Di, I hadn't really thought about it but the bus service was pretty full from POR, but I did love that swimmin hole :yes:

14. catrancher

Odd. We've never had an issue with the bus service at Riverside. We always use the main bus stop out in front of the lobby and have never seen a bus so full that we couldn't get on it. Full, yes. So full we couldn't get on, no. In fact, I don't remember a time when it was so full we had to stand.

Tom :)macwave:... get me to the park on time!)

15. Casey3557

Casey3557 Earning my ears

We've been to both and like both. POFQ is a very compact resort, easy to maneuver around and everything is close by. POR is much larger. Both are really beautiful resorts and it is fun to walk around them exploring! Both have comparable services, although POFQ no longer has a sit-down restaurant (they did many moons ago and it was terrific!:sad:).

We haven't been there in a while, but bus service was shared between the two resorts. POFQ has only one bus stop. POR has 4 or 5 I believe, counting the lobby stop. During busy seasons, the bus can get pretty crowded from our experience. We always felt POFQ had the edge there because it is the first stop, but the route may have changed.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort! :yes:

16. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Agree with Casey :yes:

17. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

will have to go visit both next year if we go they look, now sound awesome resorts to go to :D

18. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I prefer the look, feel and theming of Riverside but much prefer the Magnolia Bend (mansion buildings) to Aligator bayou. It is completely personal choice and I don't think you could go wrong with either! We don;t use the buses so that isn't a consideration for us. :)