1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Port Orleans?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Mari, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I know there are some super fans of Por Orleans in this forum :)

So come on out and share why you love this resort, which do you prefer, tips, suggestions, etc...

Thank you! :yes:

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

It's our favorite! :thumbsup:

It's reasonably quiet. It just seems to be off the beaten path a bit. I quite enjoy getting up early in the morning and walking over to the food court to get coffee for my DW and I. It's usually quite peaceful and the only company I have on that walk is the occasional duck or bunny who wants to tag along in the hopes that I'll drop some food.

Additionally, we've had some of the best meals anywhere in the restaurant there (Boatwrights Dining Hall). So much so that we now make sure we have at least one or two dinners there on each trip.

Then there's the River Roost lounge (it used to be called the Cotton Co-op I believe). This is the place to be if Yehaa Bob is playing. More fun than you can believe and of course, the kids have to get involved too.

Like I said, it's our favorite resort. But you knew that.

Tom :)macave:... it's still Dixie Landings to me!)

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I love POR. It's the first place we ever stayed at. Back then it was called Dixie Landings. I love the resort. I love Piano Bob.

4. Mari

Ive heard so much about Piano Bob :)

and everyone Ive heard who has stayed there has found it lovely...

so which side is better?

riverside or French quarter? I know they both must have their charm ;)

5. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Mari, we stayed at PORFQ and it was very nice indeed. The rooms are typical of the moderates but the grounds were especially nice. The landscaping was really nice. We all enjoyed walking up to POR and stopping by Boatwrights, sitting by the pool, and taking the boat to DTD. We had a great Good Friday meal at Olivia's in OKW. You can get there by boat from DTD.

The food court had a nice selection and the lobby was nice. I think you are better off at the FQ with buses in the morning. They usually stopped there before heading over to the rest of the resort.

I and my family really enjoyed our stay there.:thumbsup:

6. catrancher

Actually, you've got two sections in Riverside also. There's Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend. We prefer the Alligator Bayou section of Riverside. It has more of a "in the woods" feel to it. The buildings are more set back into the many trees. I suppose, if you wanted to equate it to something, you might think you were in a Louisiana swamp. But without all the nasty bugs and critters.

Magnolia Bend on the other hand is more like the stately old homes of the old South. Think "Gone With the Wind". Quite charming. But we prefer the woods!

We've never had this happen in the many times we've stayed at POR. I suppose it probably depends on when you're there and the park attendance but it's never happened to us. In fact, we've had just the opposite happen. We got picked up first at POR and then the bus went to POFQ.

They all got to stand up. :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... big ole' Yehaa Bob fan!)

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Oh I think I'd like Magnolia Bend, very Charleston. This is probably the resort we'll stay at if Jon doesn't accompany us, how far is it to walk to the bus stops? What is the transportation like?

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Port Orleans is our favorite moderate also. Either Riverside or French Quarter, but our preference is POR. We love the mansions. And as others have said Piano Bob. It is nice to spend an evening with him and be able to walk home after a few drinks. One advantage to POFQ though is that you can get Beignets there, and if you happen to have a TIW card it is good in Food Court there, but not at POR.

9. catrancher

There are 4 bus stops around the periphery of the resort. You can see the layout on this map:

[​IMG]

Both the North and East depots are pretty accessible from the Acadian or Manolia buildings. From the Oak and Parterre buildings, you'd probably want to go to the South Depot. South Depot is the main one right in front of the lobby.

Also, keep in mind that it's only a pleasant 1/4 mile walk up or down the river to either resort. So, it's pretty easy to pop over to POFQ from POR or vice versa. Also, the boats do that run regularly if you don't want to walk.

Tom :)macwave:... all y'all come back now! Ya' hear?)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  10. Mari

sounds like a lovely resort!

Thanks for the map Tom! it looks pretty big and spread out

4 stops for 1 resort seems like a lot to me! ... but I guess it makes it so much better when you get back tired from the park and dont have to walk all the way around the resort to your room!

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

It sounds weird but with regards to walking, it's the last half mile that kills me! So proximity to a bus stop is important to me!

12. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We stayed in Parterre Place and although we didn't use the buses it used to take me 5 minutes to walk from the shop/food court back to the room so roughly the same from the South depot bus stop.

13. catrancher

Then you'd want to request Acadian or Magnolia for your building. They don't always honor those requests but it doesn't hurt to ask. However, keep in mind that the order of bus stops is South Depot, West Depot, North Depot and East Depot. South is the main depot and quite frequently, the bus will fill up there and everyone at the other stops who can get on, end up having to stand. My DW and I always stay in Alligator Bayou and always request either building 14 or 18. Don't always get it but we request it anyway.

However, it's really not a bad walk even from the back of the resort to the South depot out front. We've done it many times. But it's not our preferred method. :thumbsdown:

Tom :)macwave:... we're walking, we're walking...)

14. Johnie

We have always stayed in the Alligator Bayou section, building 14 to be exact. It is very close to the main building. I personally drive so I don't know what the bus transportation is like.

15. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    POR is my favourite resort been for the last 2 years and if i come back it wil definately be POR.Enjoy the entertainment PIANO BOB AT POR and ELIOT DYSON AT POFQ.Love the boat ride to DOWNTOWN DISNEY

16. Mari

it sounds like a wonderful resort :)

and I think not walking at Disney is really not an option hahahaha, however, it sounds like the walk is doable, wherever you are placed in the resort, which is a big plus with two little ones :)

So POR is larger and has more pools, the foodcourt and the restaurant and lounge

Does PORQ have its own foodcourt? The pics on the Disney website show the same foodcourt for both

17. catrancher

Yeah. That's a little misleading isn't it. One of the pics on the Disney site for POFQ actually shows the interior of Boatwrights Dining Hall at POR. The other pic is of the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory Food Court which is the food court at POFQ.

So yes, POFQ has a food court of it's very own. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... POFQ also had a really cool slide in the pool but POR is still our favorite!)

18. Mari

yeah, the pics on the Disney website are not veyr helpful

That dragon slide looks amazing! :yes:

19. Johnie

POFQ is much smaller and looks like New Orleans. It does have it's own food court and pool. I love it. I keep saying I'm going to stay there but always end up at Riverside.

20. Mari

I think the Disney website is lacking in showing all these resorts have to offer...

Guess in a way its a good thing? keeps people interested in staying at more expensive resorts hahahaha, but from what Ive read here, it is really worth a stay there :)

Ive never been to New Orleans, but would love to go sometime... :)