1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

pre-paid cards for Disney?

Discussion in 'Tickets, Offers and Discounts' started by disneymom, Aug 28, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Does anyone have any experience of these cards which you can top up with cash rather than using a credit card? with all the identity fraud I dont want to use my debit or credit card out there

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I don't have direct experience, but if you are talking about something like a prepaid Visa I would be very careful. There are many reports of those cards not working well at all. I've been in a shop and seen first hand how they won't work sometimes. Plus, even though they didn't work in the given store, the amount appears as a deduction and sorting it out can be a huge mess.

I know identity theft is a real issue, but I'm not convinced the prepaid cards are safe either (in other respects).

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Apart from what Tink said, my understanding of prepaid VISA/AMEX cards is that you have to know your card balance when making a transaction. That means you have to keep your receipts and may have to keep of the balance manually. I'm not sure if it prints on the receipt or not--I've never used one.

If you're concerned about identity theft, I would use Traveler's Cheques over the prepaid cards until they manage to iron out some of the wrinkles. And save a debit/credit card for emergency use or paying for your room, etc.