1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Pre trip Kenya

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Skywatcher, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Will the trousers be making the trip? :D
  2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I have a feeling they are coming to the end of their usable life :sigh:

I really must learn what the word means before we go , or the locals will be wondering why I say it everytime my wife bends over :D

EDIT: It means 'coming together' :laugh:
  3. colden

colden Earning my ears

You are going to love Kenya! I live in South Africa, and love visiting the bush. Get a zoom lens, you will need it :yes:
    Early Morning and early evening drives are the best, you will see loads of animals.

Staying in the bush and being around those beautiful animals, is one of the best feelings in the world!!
  4. Skywatcher

:mental:

My main man Shadrack just e-mailed me the accommodation vouchers for the safari part and he has requested for us the room that overlooks the leopard bait and we didn't even ask him to - apparently the British lady who I have been emailing said what a huge fan of the big cats we were so he's doing his best

Leopards outside my bedroom window!!!!!!!!!
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OH WOW!!!!! This is going to be some kinda trip we're going on, huh Doc. :yes: What? You didn't know Matthew had invited me? He said I could come along as long as I brought the Twinkies. :D :D I've a car load ready. :tralala:
  6. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Leopard.... :macwave:
  7. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

FLAMINGOS, I wanna see them in the wild :yes: Can you take me with, please can you :wiggle:
  8. Skywatcher

No problems you can share with Issy :D
  9. Skywatcher

.... but you must all wear the trousers :evil:
  10. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

I'm going with you?!!! :eek3::mental: Love you doc :theman:

Hey, I'll wear banana skins/a sack/gorilla outfit.....even the trousers.....just as long as I'm out there in the wilds of Africa :yes:
  11. Skywatcher

12. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Wow! How amazing it's going to be. :bugeye:
  13. Skywatcher

I know :D

I know there has been some flooding today BTW but that is in the North during their rainy season so NO I'm not worried :D

I have already found a way to stake some pics of the stars while I am out there as well :D
  14. MystikPiglit

I heard that on the news this morning and googled it to make sure it wasn't where you are going. It isn't. :thumbsup:
  15. Skywatcher

You are sooo sweet :D

I am not going to want to come back I just know it :D
  16. MystikPiglit

:lol: Well, I'm sure there's always work for doctors anywhere in the world. :D

Or you could set up your own lodge and run safaris. :yes: :wiggle:
  17. Skywatcher

I just hope it lives up to this image I have i my mind; I never thought I would ver be so excited about a nonDisney trip - we ahve been to europe and they have been lovely but this is just :mental:
  18. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Im beyond jealous I really am!

Have you already thought about how you're going to back up your images whilst over there? if you've already mentioned it, apologies, it only just struck me before.
  19. Skywatcher

I am just buying a whole heap of cards at the moment - no plans to back them up - unless of course I buy the 65GB iPad and stick them on that

I have a 4GB card an older but semingly wrkable 8GB and just forked out for a 32 GB card (6) that I will use for a bit of filming - still can't quite get my head around a 32 GB sd card when they are full I wil 'lock them' and stick them in their case in teh bag - don't really wnat to buy a netbook and I can't believe they will have the facility to back up to a dvd so not sure what to do
  20. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Argh I hate to say it but, any chance I can talk you into SOME form of backup storage?

There's ipad/iphone for sure, but there are also tiny travel photo backup devices as well with a great deal more capacity.

A few reasons. Although it seems almost impossible that you'd use all your cards up, you cant risk doing it and having to miss out on shots.

Numerous times I've heard/read about people going on a wonderous trip like this, they put all the cards in their carry on and then get home and a card is missing or corrupt. They sometimes get some photos back from the corrupt card but of course the missing one just never turns up.

Not quite the same but a good 15yrs ago I was travelling round the states on business and getting wonderful shots. Film of course. I always used to get the film developed in the states and carry the negatives with me in my hand luggage and a set of photographs each in hand luggage and hold luggage.

Last time I was doing new york followed by washington. I was getting the best shots ever! Around Christmas time, around the whitehouse. Well anyway, amazing shots. Thing is, didnt have time to develop, so just stuck the rolls of film in my carry on which I guard with my life.

I got to washington airport and the staggeringly nauseatingly annoying bovine behind the BA desk took my carry on when I was filling in some paperwork and sent it off to the hold. Assurances were given but I spend the whole flight anticipating the worst.

Got to Manchester, empty carry on, papers and all gone plus of course all the rolls of film.

Digital is a little easier. I back all my stuff up to laptop now or a travel HD if I dont have my laptop. Soon as I get to somewhere with Internet access, I upload them as well.