1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

pre-trip report for August 27-September 5

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by BUTTERHEAD1, Jul 17, 2010.

1. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I made the reservation the day free dining came out but wasnt sure if I was going to be able to get the time off from work or if I was going to be able to pay for it. After a lot of hesitation due to financial constraints I finally said the heck with it and paid for our trip the other day. The trip is from August 27 thru September 5th 2010. My travelling companions are the wife, my 14 year old son and 9 year old daughter.The kids have no idea, I told them a month ago that we were not going to be able to go this year and they were so disappointed. We are staying at Pop Century and upgraded to the regular dining plan. Our ADR's are at the following restaurants.

1900 Park fare- breakfast
    Mama Melrose
    Teppen Edo
    Tony Town Square
    Ohana -dinner
    Chef Mickey-dinner
    50's prime time
    Liberty Tree
    Le Celier

We will be driving down to WDW from NYC leaving on August 26th at approximately 5 am and stopping somewhere south of Savannah for the night. I hope to check in to Pop sometime before noon on the 27th and to be in a park by 130 pm.

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Sounds great, when are you going to tell them?

3. BUTTERHEAD1

I will tell them a few days before that we are heading to Sarasota to see their Grandfather and Aunt and then see how long it takes them to figure out that we are heading to WDW. My daughter will be thrilled.

4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

What a great surprise! Sounds like a fantastic plan! Good for you, making that driving trip. I think I would go insane by SC or even by VA. :lol:

5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Good for you! I could never keep a secret that big!

6. BUTTERHEAD1

You know what Johnie if I told my daughter we were going, she would drive me nuts between now and then. We have gone every summer since she was in my wife's belly and when I told her we werent going this year she said to me almost crying " Dad I have a reputation to uphold, all my friends know I go to Disney thats who I am".

7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

It wasn't until we turned on to the i4 that Daniel cottoned on!

8. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Hi Butterhead - we are heading to NY this coming Saturday and have never been before - we're so excited.

We have plans to cycle through Central Park, we have tickets for Statue of Liberty and also Empire State Building already sorted.

We're staying on 7th Avenue - do you have any recomendations of where to eat for 2 adults and a 11 year old?

Thanks

Sandra

9. BUTTERHEAD1

Let me know what kind of food you like and what neighborhood you are staying in and I will give you my recommendations. It has been very hot and muugy the last few weeks here in the city. I will say this, whatever day you plan on going to the Statue of Liberty get there early because it is quite the line to get on the ferry.

10. arkvilla

We're staying at the Affinia Manhattan on 7th Avenue and we like all sorts of food, nothing too fancy.

Thanks for the tip about the ferry - we're doing tht SoL on 26th July

Sandra

11. BUTTERHEAD1

Okay I know the hotel. I have had a few drinks in hotel bar prior to hockey games at Madison Square Garden which is acroos the street from your hotel. I grew up less than a mile from your hotel. In terms of places to eat I will give you few of my favorites.

Mexican- there are 2 places I go for Mexican, the first is Maryanns which is on the corner of 16th street and 8th avenue and the the other is Tequilas which is on 23rd street just east of 9th avenue. Both places have good food and great drinks for decent prices.

Chinese. My favorite is Grand Sichuan(? spelling) it is on the corner of 24th street and 9th avenue. It has great food decent prices the service is so so but the food is so good that I dont mind the so so service. The 2nd place is The Ginger House which is on 7th avenue between 28th and 29 th street. Just 2 blocks south of your hotel.

Pizza= By far my favorit pizza is John's pizza, there are 3 locations in the city. The closest one to you is in the times square area. It is on 44th street between 8th avenue and Broadway. If you like sausage get a pie with sausage. If you are in the village and want a good slice of pizza there is a place called joe's on 6th avenue just north of Bleecker street- great slice.

Italian- Carmines is great and their portions are big enough for 3-4 people. There are 2 carmines one is on 44th street and Broadway(very touristy-long lines) the other is on Broadway and 90th street,this is the one we go to. Another Italian place we go to is Andreas which is on 3rd avenue and 23rd street.

Burgers-The Shake Shack in Madison Park is very popular. The lines are crazy long but worth the wait. The park is at 23rd street and 5th avenue. Another great burger is in the Corner Bistro which is on west 4th street and 8th avenue

Spanish food- If you like Paella there is a restaurant called El Quijote which is right next to the Chelsea Hotel 23rd street 7th-8th avenue.

If there is anything else that you are interested in eating let me know and I will give you my suggestions.

12. arkvilla

Thank you so much :)

I have copied and pasted onto a word document and we'll let you know how we get on.

How funny that you grew up so close to where we are staying. Have you heard anything about the hotel? We don't often stay in hotels.

Thanks

Sandra

13. BUTTERHEAD1

Sorry to say that I dont know much about the hotels in NYC as I have never needed one. I can say that from the outside and from the hotel bar it seems like a nice hotel. I have to imagine that would so much to do you wont be int e hotel much anyway.

14. MarkE

MarkE Imagineer

Hi Butterhead,

We're staying at the Amsterdam Court (looks like an average hotel opposite the Gershwin theatre, West 50th and 8th) - are there any nearby bars you can recommend? I imagine the people I'm travelling with will want to eat in Deli's and named chain restraunts as they're fussy eaters, but drinking (beer and cocktails) will also be a popular way to end the evenings!

Thanks,

Mark

15. BUTTERHEAD1

What kind of bar( sports,cheap drinks,live music,young crowd) are you looking for? . Are you looking for something near the hotel?

16. MarkE

MarkE Imagineer

Not necessarily near the hotel, but a reasonable walking distance (10 minutes maybe). If theres a sports bar that shows english football that'd be great, otherwise cheap drinks and cocktails!!

Its really hard to say about music and stuff - I'd like it, but I'm not sure about the others!

17. BUTTERHEAD1

If you are looking for cheaper drinks I would head towards 9th avenue. Mc Coys is on 9th avenue and 51st street, it has cheap drinks and has a bunch of TVs. Then there is Rudy's Bar which is always crowded and has cheap drinks. Rusys is on 43rd street and 9th avenue.

18. arkvilla

Hi Butterhead,

just to let you know we ate at The Ginger House - it was gorgeous - thank you so much and we also ate at the Shake Shack - didn't realise it was outside only, we went one evening and it was raining so we didn't stay but we went back the next day for lunch and it was great.

Sandra

19. BUTTERHEAD1

I just looked at your photos, they are great. I hope you enjoyed your time in New York. Sorry about not mentioning that the Shake Shack is outside.

20. arkvilla

No worries, we popped back next day anyway.

Loved NY

Sandra