1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Pre-Trip Report - Vermont!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Beccaberry, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

As most of you know, I grew up in Texas. That's not wholly significant to anyone unless they, too, grew up in Texas. You see, when you grow up in Texas it's very easy to believe that Texas is all there is. It's a mindset propagated not only by the sheer size of the state, but by the residents as well. Nothing is bigger than Texas, nothing is better than Texas, and if you don't believe that, weeeeeell, then you're not from Texas.

I was nine before I realized that there was anything other than an abyss of darkness bordering our great state. And, like most great revelations in my life, it came from the television. In 1982, I wandered into the living room after clearing the dinner dishes to find my mom, her feet propped up on the old coffee table, watching a new sitcom. I can still remember the theme song. I stood there in front of the tele, mesmerized by the lush green mountains and breathtaking views trawling across the tv screen. In rapt wonder I thought surely I was seeing scenes from Heaven. I waited patiently for the name of this modern day Eden to be shown to me. Eventually my vigilance was rewarded...Newhart. It was Newhart.

It wasn't a ground breaking tv show, let's face it, what sitcom is? But I dearly loved it. Actually, no, scratch that. I don't even think I ever watched an entire episode; although to this day I can just hear the phrase "I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl." Every Monday night at 8:30, I would sit on the old blue couch and imagine myself in that very beautiful place.

It would be nearly a year before I learned that this oasis I so desired was actually named Vermont, and not, in fact, Newhart.

My life changed that year. I think in that very moment I outgrew Texas. I read every book I could get my hands on about Vermont. I poured over pictures for hours, losing myself in elaborate daydreams of some day owning my own cozy little Bed & Breakfast. I told anyone who would listen, to the great horror of my parents, that someday I would live in Vermont. I'm pretty sure my parents were nearly excommunicated for that statement.

Of course, life went on, and through the years I've learned that oftentimes you don't dictate to life where you will live, life just sort of takes you where it will. I spent 28 years in Texas, and although I did find many things of beauty and interest there, I never lost my love for all things Vermont.

All of this is said, so that you may aptly understand the weight of what I'm about to say next...

I'M GOING TO VERMONT!!!!!

Jon and are leaving tomorrow. There's a wine fest over the weekend in Killington. I've taken the day off from work, as has Jon. We'll leave in the morning when we wake up and take our time driving...we enjoy stopping at the Crowley Cheese Factory and the Vermont Country Store. It will be a leisurely drive and we'll stop when we see something that interests us.

Friday night is an open wine bar and jazz band poolside, Saturday is the tasting at the top of Killington Peak (fingers crossed for good weather), Saturday night is the gala dinner w/ wine pairings and finally, on Sunday there will be a champagne brunch.

Of all the places I've discovered since moving from Texas; Vermont is my favorite. It has lived up to every dream, every vision, every wistful thought...and more. It is so very peaceful there.

2. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Awwww! This is going to be such a special trip for you! Take lots and lots of pictures :yes:

My Sister-in-law has a ranch in Vermont and it really is something special to see. They just love it there.

3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I can hardly wait to see pictures. I visited Burlington once and thought it was gorgeous.
    It seems you had the same feelings and thoughts about Vermont as I do Maine. One day, I will have a home in Maine. :D

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Have a wonderful time Annie, and take lots of photos and make some lovely memories :hug2:

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Another Vermont fan here :) can't wait to see the many many photos :)

6. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

I hope you have a great time. Vermont looks truly beautiful and whenever i hear my USA friends talk about the "fall". I picture vermont. Drink lot's of wine.............. sory sorry Taste.

7. Beccaberry

*GRIN* Nah, you were right the first time :wink:

8. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

Welcome to my little connor of the world, enjoy the peace.

9. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I keep reading it as Pre-Trip Report - Vomit :oops:

10. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Annie honey it sounds just wonderful :hug2:

Dawn dear :slap: :lol:

11. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

Time to get those eyes checked???:p015:
    Vermont is the cleanest state in New England, yep even cleaner than Maine. ;) It is called the Green mountain state for a reason.
    I hated it when the old man of the mountain in ,NH fell down, hear they may try to put him back up, hope they can ,after all he is on their licence plates and all. :goat1:
    Maine is call vacation land, sounds, kind of like, some thing from Star Trac, alternate universe. Well i live here so maybe it is.:sparklyrainbow:

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Me too, GrammiePo. I was so saddened to learn that the Old Man fell down. :(

Vermont is a lovely state. Very unique in its perception of the world around it, and its politics. :yes:

Maine is my first and foremost, but I do love that entire corner of the universe. :D

And yes, Vermont is incredibly clean. :yes:

Enjoy your time there. Killington is a wonderful place. Great for skiing if you are ever so moved one day. :D

Oh, and my condolences on the Texas bit... :( :hug1: ;)

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I hope you have a wonderful time dahling :hug2:

14. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Have a wonderful time, Anne!

Looking forward to the photos and trip report! :)

15. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

awww, you're gonna have a fantastic trip....enjoy!!:hug2:

16. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Have a wonderful time! I have also dreamed of visiting Vermont after seeing White Christmas when I ws little - one of my all time fav films and I will get there one day. :p015:Can't wait to hear all about it:)

17. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Hope you're having a great trip! :smileyrainbow:

18. Beccaberry

Hi all :D I'm back!! It was a lovely trip and I can't wait to tell you all about it!! I have some lovely photos!!!

19. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Lovely - glad you had a good time! Have been thinking about you and hoping you were enjoying it! :p015:

20. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

can hardly wait to see the photos. :D