1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

President Obama's Speech at the Magic Kingdom

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

This was the spirited welcome President Barack Obama delivered earlier today as he stood on Main Street, U.S.A. with the iconic Cinderella Castle glittering behind him.

Tourism was the topic of this official visit, and the President said the natural place to discuss efforts to make it easier for more international guests to visit the United States was Walt Disney World Resort.

“It’s rare that I get to do something that Sasha and Malia envy me for,” the President joked, referring to his young daughters. “Maybe they’ll actually ask me at dinner how my day went.”

pres-ob-1.jpg

While the President’s remarks were for an invited audience and necessitated closing a portion of Main Street, U.S.A., for a few hours, guests at the Magic Kingdom enjoyed a unique day of their own, with special entertainment throughout the park to keep things magical.

Instead of venturing down Main Street, U.S.A., to access the park, guests were ushered from the main entrance through a special backstage area that was lined with scores of colorful banners and parade floats and live musical entertainment. Once inside the park, guests could enjoy additional entertainment, character meet-and-greets, supplemental showings of the Frontierland Hoedown, and character dance parties at the Diamond Horseshoe Review and the Rockettower Plaza Stage.

A capacity crowd of guests who wanted to hear the President’s speech even watched a live broadcast of his remarks in the most appropriate of settings — The Hall of Presidents attraction in Liberty Square.

Back on Main Street, U.S.A., President Obama finished his remarks, then turned to look at the “Partners” statue in distance. The President gave a friendly wave to Walt and Mickey, then exited the stage to end this historic day at the Magic Kingdom.

Here is a video of the speech here which has been kindly filmed by InsidetheMagic.

[video=youtube;e5gq2_TiA_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5gq2_TiA_E[/video]​
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm not too sure how I feel about the easing of travel Visa for our neighbors to the South (and no I'm not talking about Mexico) They are always there en-mass with tour guides waving the flag and eating up all of the fastpass tickets.
  3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The Brazillian tour groups were out in droves this past weekend at Universal Studios.
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

This is a nation of immigrants... welcoming all, especially visitors is what we are founded upon. Making it easier to visit is a good thing.