1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Help Printer help please

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Dawn, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Mother wants a printer for Christmas to print things from her ipad.

Nothing fancy, she only prints documents, don't need high quality photos or anything like that.

Suggestions?

2. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

For printing from an iPad, make sure it has an AirPrint logo - this will mean you will be able to print wirelessly from any iOS device that's connected to the same network as the printer.

I'd also recommend buying an all-in-one, so it can scan & copy too. You never know how useful these are until you have one around!

As for brands, HP tend to have pretty well-specced products. I also quite like Epson but my Epson printers (purchased over a decade ago) used to drink ink! For running costs, try the HP Officejet range - they are designed to be used in offices, so the print quality may not be photographic, but they are economical on ink and fast.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Leave it to Keith to find a Canon model...hehe

5. keith

:p

WELLLLLL there's a bit of a reason behind that. I used to recommend HP for printers because their lasers were so good. Then a load of people kept telling me that their hp's had gone wrong. A range of issues through basic just "broken" through "noisy rollers" and so on. I even had one where the ink cartridges had expired even without being used! HP had put an expiry date on the ink even though it hadn't been used.

Anyway I asked around and a friend is IT director for a large bank and said they'd just finished doing a long study into which had performed best, been most reliable etc so they could decide on a make to go forward with. Ended up being Canon by a mile. There are some funny stories in there about epson and some other makes too but basically canon were most reliable (though not QUITE the cheapest ink wise).

So I've been recommending canons ever since and everyone has been really happy with them. Hoping the same will be true of this one!

6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

we bought an HP at the start of the year and it's been the best and cheapest printer we've had :lol: we did compare for the cost of black and white prints though as i knew i would be printing out lots of things.

7. keith

in fairness, there'll always be a range of experiences depending on type of use and luck! So as much as I say I can't really recommend hp these days, there'll be loads of people happy with them and hating canon

Britchick likes this.
  8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

it will probably die now knowing my luck :lol:

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We have had Canon printers for years and can't fault them.