1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

problem with Windows 7 Troubleshooter tool...

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by wdwgrandma, Jun 27, 2012.

1. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

...it doesn't work! When I click on "Devices and Printers", there is a triangle with an exclamation point in it next to my laptop. It tells me I need to troubleshoot the device. However, when I try to do that a window pops up and asks me if I want to allow a program called "msdt.exe" to update the program. When I say yes I get a message saying "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting". Consequently nothing works.

I'm also getting that same triangle/exclamation point symbol next to a box that it doesn't recognize as my Cricut. And of course I can't troubleshoot it either. I use a software on my laptop called Design Studio. It allows me to design images to cut out on my Cricut. Since having my laptop rebuilt, I can no longer access my Cricut from the software. It gives me an error message saying to check to make sure my Cricut is connected and turned on - which it is.

I'm getting very discouraged... Anyone have any ideas?

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Hmmm... sounds a bit odd.

Have you contacted Microsoft Support? I've never had to run it but supposedly, the msdt.exe tool (which is the Microsoft Support Diagnostic Tool BTW) should present you with a dialog that looks like this:

msdt-tool.jpg

It supposedly requires a Pass Key that the Microsoft Support representative should provide you with.

I guess that would be my first step.

The other option would be to use Microsoft Self Service here. But that would presume you have a working internet connection which I assume you do (since you posted this thread). Obvious really. Unless you're me.

Finally, for your Cricut. You might check out this blog bit about Problems with drivers in Windows 7. Don't know if it will help but it's a place to start.

Let us know how you get on.

Tom :)macwave:... now I remember why I'm a Mac fanboy!)

3. wdwgrandma

I'll have to check all that stuff when I get home to my laptop. But there shouldn't be a problem with the Cricut USB to serial drivers. I think they are installed. When I plugged it into my laptop last night they installed - or so they said they did. It just doesn't seem to recognize the Cricut as being there even though it is turned on when I try to send a file to it. And, of course, I can't troubleshoot it since troubleshooter isn't working. Oh, and my design software won't run on a MAC (at least it didn't use to) - which is why I don't have one! LOL In the meantime, I did talk with the Cricut support folks who recommended that I try another USB to serial connector. So I grabbed the one off my printer and tried it. Didn't work. I hooked it back up to my printer and connected that to my laptop. I could print with no problems. This is so aggravating.

I haven't contacted Microsoft support yet. I've searched their site for help, but I either couldn't find my problem or the replies given to others involve far more than I think I can handle - updating registries, etc. Don't wanna go there myself. Too easy to screw things up.

4. catrancher

I know Donna. Although the Cricut Craft Room supposedly will run on a Mac. But the objective here is to get all this working on the machine you've got.

I'd still check out that link I gave you to the Cricut Machine blog. They also have you run the troubleshooter. Don't know why that would be required but evidently, it is.

Tom :)macwave:... my daughter is a Cricut fanatic too!)

5. wdwgrandma

Oops... Sorry. I forgot to mention that I checked out that blog several days ago. Great info. But since I can't get Troubleshooter to work, the advice they give in the blog doesn't help...

I don't know if I have several problems: 1) Troubleshooter doesn't work; 2) can't install msdt.exe; 3) Cricut not recognized

Or is one of these problems causing all of the problems?

6. catrancher

One thing at a time. Actually, your 1 and 2 are related since they're both referring to the Microsoft Support Diagnostic Tool. Once we get that working, we can worry about the Cricut. I'd seriously contact Microsoft support regarding the msdt.exe (the Troubleshooter). With it not working, there's a larger problem that needs to be addressed. See what MS has to say.

Tom :)macwave:... one step at a time.)

7. wdwgrandma

Unfortunately I can't contact them till I get home. But I will try that next. Maybe they can help.