1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Pumpkin Beignets from New Orleans, Disneyland

Discussion in 'Disney Recipes' started by Wendy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Pumpkin Beignets

Makes 25 beignets
    • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
    • 1/4 cup warm water
    • 3 large eggs
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
    • 2 teaspoons pumpkin extract (optional)
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    • Pinch salt
    • 4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 tablespoon dry instant yeast
    • Vegetable oil, for frying
    • Powdered sugar, for coating
    1. Combine pumpkin purée, sugar, cream, water, eggs, shortening, pumpkin extract, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk to combine. Add flour and yeast, stirring by hand to combine.
    2. Mix dough with the dough hook attachment until it forms a ball around the hook; the dough may be a little sticky.
    3. With floured hands, remove dough from hook and roll into a ball. Place dough in a clean bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
    4. Roll dough on a well-floured surface to 1/3-inch thickness. Cut into 25 squares. Cover with a clean dishtowel and set aside in a warm, draft-free area for 45 minutes.
    5. Line a plate with paper towels; set aside.
    6. Pour vegetable oil into a deep pot to a depth of 3 inches. Heat oil to 350°F.
    7. Working in 2 or 3 batches, carefully drop dough into oil. Cook, turning frequently with a long-handled slotted spoon, until puffed and golden, about 3 minutes.
    8. Remove beignets with a slotted spoon and transfer to the plate lined with paper towels. Lightly tent with foil to keep warm while remaining beignets cook.
    9. Generously sprinkle powdered sugar on top of warm beignets; serve warm.

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Those sound great. I hate frying things at home though (can't seem to get the smell to go away )
  3. BevW

BevW Imagineer

Since my time is spent doing crafty stuff, and Rick got me that Kitchen Aid...hmmmmm these sound YUMMY, fried or not...I'm trying them.
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

You've got a Kitchen Aid, I am soooooo jealous. I really want one but the prices over here are just silly.
    BevW likes this.
  5. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well it is about that time. Fat Tuesday will be here and may all your dough be fried. In Pennsylvania growing up we had fasnacht day. It was a time to clear cupboards and pantries of flour, lard and sugar, often given up for lent. It was a PA Dutch tradition. Most of the state's counties top ancestry group is German.

We also had pizza frita at the summer. It was usually made at the church congregations that wee primarily Italian. There would be a line around the block to pick up a dozen at the fairs.

The beignets at Sassogula Float Factory at PROFQ are pretty tasty!
    BevW likes this.
  6. BevW

BevW Imagineer

Wendy, I think Rick was feeling really sorry for me last year. So I got a Kitchen Aid for Christmas and it's been working non-stop ever since. I don't know how I got along without it!. I only wish it was purple. LOL