1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question about summer orlando weather?

Discussion in 'General' started by mgmrach, Jul 9, 2009.

1. mgmrach

mgmrach Imagineer

Quick question, how bad is the weather june/july/august ? Reading the charts it looks like it's very hot, very humid which i guess means sticky and tiring? and thunderstorms every day?

How bad is it really? I mean bad enough that we should choose different months?

2. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We go every August as stuck to school holidays. It is very hot & humid and you do get thunderstorms often but it's doable as long as you don't do parks everyday - I think you'd be worn out.

Sandra

3. premier travel

premier travel Forum Advertiser

Hi we have been in July and August some years you see rain some years not but it is very very hot in the summer. Don't forget the US schools go back to school second week of August so a lot quieter then

Kim

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Not all US schools go back then. A good many don't go back until the Tuesday following Labor Day, which is the first Monday in September.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

June through September is very hot, very humid and will most often have thunderstorms that range in severity from heavy rain to heavy lightning on a daily basis.

You will need to plan your days around the weather, and for the weather to get the most out of each day. Early mornings are cooler, but not always a lot less. It's been in the mid 80's at 5:30 am here for several days.

Light cotton or other natural fiber clothing that fits rather loosely, with extremely comfortable foot wear, with sunscreen, hat and sunglasses is the uniform of the day. You'll want raingear of some sort. I like an umbrella, but it's not functional in the heavy rain with high winds. If you wear a rain poncho or rain jacket that does not cover your clothing (ends mid-thigh say) you will provide a slick for the water to sheet off onto your clothes, so keep that in mind. Plus anything not covered by rain gear will get soaked shortly.

It's easy enough to seek shelter and remain indoors during the rain. There is almost always enough warning that a storm is coming.

You'll want extra foot wear to allow one pair to dry while you are wearing the other pair.

You'll want bug repellent (the kind with DEET works best, but use it on your clothes and not on your skin as much as possible) as mosquitoes are very prevalent in the summer, as are stinging gnats (often called "no see ums" as they are so very tiny).

Florida, with planning, is quite do-able in the summer months, but to fully enjoy your holiday you will want to have good preparations. :yes:

6. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Drink lots of fluids!!!

7. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

The humidity can be very wearing but no reason to not go in Aug/Jul if that's when you plan to. Most people only go this time of year due to school holidays which does make it busier aswell but the parks are open longer so with a different style of planning you can still get what you want done and seen

8. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I think it is totally doable, but it IS very hot and humid.

However all rides are airconditioned, as are all shops, buses, monoriels, resorts, etc.... so if you are feeling too hot, there are enough places to go to cool off.

I think Tink's tips are excellent! I will definetly be using the repellent on our clothes and even on Tatiana's stroller

9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Well, having lived in FL for two years and then having gone in July several times, I agree with everyone else...it's hot and humid, and also very crowded.

If I were able to go during other months I would. However, like others, due to scheduling the summer has been my only time. May was nice, getting humid, but the crowds were less.

The heat wears one out quickly and I believe wears on one's patiences.

The summer afternoon thunderstorms are great. Without them the days seem even hotter. When I lived in Tampa I could almost tell you the time that they would arrive throughout the summer, it's weird.

10. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Noon and 5. I know this because I'd get wet every day on my way to lunch and again on my way to my car from the First Financial Tower!

:ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... Gasparilla Day... gawrsh... what fun!)

11. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

we just got back and we had a couple of days of no rain but also a couple of very heavy thunder and lightning storms that lasted a few hours its hot and humid but it was ok

12. Tx_Belle

Tx_Belle Earning my ears

Hot, humid and sticky. I've vowed to never go back in the summer, but from what I recall (7 summer trips) there's a nice rainshower every afternoon. That's when most people take time out for lunch, but we get on the rides since the lines are shorter.

But oh yeah..... it is HOT. (This coming from someone who lives in Texas and is supposed to be used to the heat. It's just as hot there as it is here :thumbsdown:). Personally, my fave time of year to go is October. It still gets hot, but at least it's a little cooler at night.

I haven't been at Christmastime yet, but my family has. They love it then, too.

13. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I made the same vow, but if it was my only time, then I'd take it. :) Hot, sticky disney is better than no disney.

14. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

I'm a schoolteacher, so my Disney travel windows are always limited to school vacation times, and till now that's meant that we go in either July or August. (Trying December this next time, should be an interesting change...)

As everyone else has cautioned, the weather will be so humid, you'll wish you had gills to breathe with. I always bring extra clothing just so we can shed our sweaty, humidity-drenched outfits halfway through the day. Crowd-wise, it's busy, but I never felt like the crowds were claustrophobia-inducing.

As Tink and others are recommending, loose clothes, lots and LOTS of liquids, and a moderate touring pace are your best friends. Sunscreen, floppy sunhats (which are a great coolant aid if you douse them with ice water now and then), those little battery-operated fan/mister combos, and the willingness to take it easy when you're knackered will all help you immensely.

We found that a late afternoon nap and pool dip (or shower) at the hotel was a fantastic restorative, and allowed everyone to keep their sense of humor intact for an evening trip back to the parks (we stayed on-property each time).

Rain showers, even torrential ones, are usually over fairly quickly...if it's hot enough, you won't mind getting wet (heck, the humidity will already have you nearly soaked, and the rain can feel rather nice); bring your own plastic poncho if you don't want to pay exorbitant park prices for one. Also, buying the cute Mickey-themed poncho might seem like a great idea...until you realize that everyone is wearing the same poncho, and you are gripped with the irrational fear that if you blink you might become irrevocably separated from your travel party! Buy a distinctive one before leaving home, it's a lot easier to find your group members if they look different from the plastic-wrapped herd.

Don't run for the exits if an afternoon rainstorm hits; you may want to tough it out till it passes. The cloudbursts often clear the crowds out quite a bit, leaving you with shorter lines once the rain stops.

If you prepare for the heat and pace yourself not to go beyond the limits of the crankiest members of your party (whether that distinction goes to the youngest or the older members!) you'll be able to have a terrific time, even in the dog days of summer.