1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

question about tipping bad service

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by disneymom, Aug 11, 2014.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

:overhere:

I know we're supposed to tip even if the food is bad because its the service we're tipping but what if the service is rubbish too? Is it best to tip nothing, or tip a dollar or a cent cos I've heard that's what a lot of US people do?

Everyone always says to tell managers but we've found that a lot of the time it just leads to more waits cold food and nothing really done anyway

What about if the food isn't good and we tell the server who doesn't manage to fix it? Is that counted as a service issue or not?

thx x

2. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I may have been lucky but only had poor service once at Disney it was at Planet Hollywood and I did not leave a tip

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Generally I'll try once with the server to get it right. I'll be nice, polite, firm and give them a really good fair opportunity to fix it whether it's food, service whatever. If they ignore it, then I'll leave either a much reduced or no tip.

I know people who really really keep going until they get satisfaction but I worry about what they'll do to the food before the bring it + on holiday I don't want the confrontations..

Having said that, I've had a few instances when they've taken it as I'm a stupid-no-tip-UK person and followed me out of the place to moan at me. At that point, I've been delighted to explain why they received no tip.

I had the manager at one place try to explain to me that no tip would mean they'd LOSE money and so there should always be a minimum tip... not in my book. If it encourages them to find another career, so much the better

4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

If it's something out of the contol of the person serving us then were generally quite forgiving.

If it's something that the server can control then that's when the tip is affected.

The only time ever that I haven't left a tip is in planet hollywood where the server was very rude.

Tony G likes this.
  5. robertcraig

Went to a restaurant on the 192 once can't remember the name my wife had to send the main course back twice the server was so embarrassed he went for manager who cancelled our Bill and gave us a free meal on our next visit

6. keith

See that's what SHOULD happen and people tell me that they've had that in the states. I often get poor service but even with gentle complaining I never seem to get the bill cancelled never mind a free meal.

7. robertcraig

We did go back and had a good meal but the first server said oh no when he saw us and got someone else to serve us we had a good laugh with him

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We very rarely don't leave any tip even if the service is bad, we will reduce it though, not just in the US in the UK as well.

I feel bad not leaving anything as it's how they make up their low wage. I do get fed up though with the stigma that is attached to people from the UK. It is automatically assumed by some servers that there will be no tip, so they just don't bother. It seems that some servers tar us all with the same brush :shrug:

9. robertcraig

Do you leave a bigger tip if you are on the dinning plan

10. keith

I've not been on the dining plan recently.. when I was on it, so long ago, tips were included which was great

11. robertcraig

I thought you had to add tips on

12. keith

I think you do now, it was ages ago when I last had the plan

If I had to add a tip on the dining plan, I wouldn't add any more than I would normally though. No reason to that I can imagine?

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Personally, I feel if you leave $1 or a penny they will just think you are cheap. I don't know that anyone would identify that they are the problem.

I've done a lot of job site training with clients and have never witnessed anyone deliberately tampering with the food.

14. keith

That's why I always favour the ZERO if it's terrible or just reduced if bad but there is a school of thought that says $1 or 1c says "I know I'm supposed to tip so I'm leaving what I think your service was worth". Dunno.

Perhaps you were seen as a figure of authority and so they didn't like to chance it? I've seen some truly vile things admittedly many years ago now

15. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I think I've left no tip once or twice. I can't get around voluntarily paying additionally for poor service. It's a gratuity, which I take as being a display of gratitude for the service I've received. Im most cases, it's worth paying for, but if not, I'm not paying anything for it.

Having said that, I'll always try and give the server a chance to rectify the issue, unless the issue is that they're rude.

Recently, I've also had doubt cast the notion of poor servers. One of my contractors and I were talking at the villa and he was talking about his previous jobs. He told me he was a server at a Disney restaurant (I forget which one, but it was mid-range) and he told me he was loaded when he worked there. The tips paid for a brand new BMW 3 series.

16. keith

It's an emotive subject this one ;-)

I've heard both sides. I've heard from people who swear that they're on less than minimum wage, taxed on a % of their tables which sometimes, in a low end place, doesn't even take them to minimum. Some have to share with back of house which further depletes the pot and in the end, it's just a trap.

Then, as recently as May, spoke to two people one disney one not, who were saying that the establishments they worked for, reported the minimum possible for tax anything else was "your responsibility to report" which no one ever did. They were saying that they'd struggle hugely doing any other job because although the salary was pretty basic, the profit from tips was so huge and largely not taxed. At one of these places (the non disney one) we'd just spent $450 for a meal for two with wine and the tip was basically $100 (and that was the lowest option given on the keypad by the way! the other two options were higher although there was a button for OTHER which I guess I could have chosen). So when I looked around and worked out $100 for each two people and probably what, 2 or 3 parties per table per evening... I could understand why they were so happy!

As always I guess, it differs for different people in different places but nah, I'm not really sympathetic...

17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Lol doubtful. I have seen many unclean and unsanitary things but nothing deliberate

18. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I can count on one hand the number of times I've left NO tip for service. However, for me to GET to that point (like others have said), there have been numerous opportunities for improvement given before it coming to that, and I have always spoken privately to a manager before leaving.

That said, my mother is a NOTORIOUSLY poor tipper - even for the best of service. Secretly, I am pleased there are 6 of us going on our upcoming September trip - that way the tip is automatically added! Still though, I wouldn't hesitate to speak to a manager, included or not, if the service was poor.

19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tipping. My favorite topic to hate. Ugh.

With regard to hourly wages paid to servers in this country, yes. They are hideously low, something along the lines of $2 and hour and change. Tips are the salary. Make no mistake. The IRS presumes a 10% tip on all tickets so again, yes if you do not tip, the server actually pays via taxes for having served you.

If the service is bad, but the food decent I will usually express my displeasure in a low tip (10%) and a note on the ticket that the server must turn in. If it's hideously bad, I will speak to a manager on my way out.

If it's the food, I immediately acknowledge to the server I realize s/he has nothing to do with the preparation and then I explain what I don't like. If they get it fixed, fine. If they don't I ask for the manager. If that doesn't resolve the matter to my satisfaction, I will refuse the food and ask for the check for the drinks and anything else we've eaten. I will only tip on the amount I paid. If the food situation is resolved and compensated in some way (amount off, or a gratis dinner) I will tip on the amount the bill should have been.

Tipping is a hateful practice and I do wish hourly salaries were raised. I don't want to hear a word about "the cost of dining out" would then reach impossible prices, because I don't believe it for a second.

With regard to mucking with one's food, it absolutely does happen. Even at Disney.

Like Keith, I really dislike having to have these sorts of discussions at any time I'm dining out. I go out to relax, for an enjoyable time, to visit with my guests, or between ourselves, not to argue with a server, or fight for a decent meal. Usually, I will not complain, I will simply not eat it, and we'll leave once others at the table are done.

So! The sort answer, bad service equals a low tip. Bad food with good service equals a tip that reflects the resolved situation.

Wendy likes this.
  20. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

From my experience eating out in the UK the 'tipping culture' is very different to that in the US.

For example, I ate a buffet restuarant a few years ago (where you fetch your own drinks etc) and the service at 15% was added automatically to our party of 4. Now if this had been in the US I would have left it however I asked for it to be removed and tipped what I felt was more appropriate. After all we had little interaction with the server other than her clearing the table after we had left and when she sat us at the table.

I don't usually tip much in the UK unless i've received a really good service. The minimum wage is in line with everyone else and those working in shops get the same amount as those working in a restuarant.