1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

question about tipping bad service

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by disneymom, Aug 11, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah agreed it's a much different culture in the UK. I don't mind tipping for excellent service as you say, but I think in the US it's expected "just for doing the job" whereas in the UK it's for going above and beyond.

2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Mmmhhh this is difficult topic for me as I do leave tip however, if the staff treat me different or badly simply because I'm Deaf then I do reduce tip dramatically. I have lost count how many time staff continue to speak despite I use gesture not speech.

Those who respond positively and using gesture, I do tip them highly then usual as they made my dining experience much more pleasant.

3. keith

What IS the correct thing to do Jeff? Sadly I don't know sign :( so say I was a server, you use gesture, I know therefore not to just speak to or at you. Do I just try pointing? (hope it's not too much of an ignorant question :/ )

Vikki likes this.
  4. Deafjeff

I'm glad you asked :)

I guess the best thing is it imagine yourself in noisy pub or club and you cannot hear conversation.how would you ask if you want a large portion or small portion?

Eve simple thump up gesture shows that is everything ? Using gesture for drinking means do you want drink or more drink?

Those little things really do means so much to Deaf person as it enabling a direct communication which makes it much more personally.

Normally I allow them a time to realised that there is no point in speaking. If they just continue do so then it plainly rude in my opinion.

Tony G, Vikki and keith like this.
  5. keith

Thanks for understanding Jeff... it's good to know :yes: I know when I got places with friends in wheelchairs, they get the whole thing where the servers just talk to me as if they can't communicate or arent there... that gets awkward real quick

6. Deafjeff

Yeah it is same with Stephen. They ask him does he (me) want to order anything? Does he want chips to go with it? Ask him if everything is okay?

When that happen, I simply cannot be held responsible for my action(!)

7. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

OK, so here's a question that's been on my mind for a while.

I went in to Flippers on my last trip, having ordered a takeout pizza. When I went to collect, the lady at the counter asked me to sign the credit card slip and pointedly commented on where I would enter the amount I'm tipping.

This struck me as really strange - is it normal to tip someone who hands you the food from the other side of the counter? Eat in - I understand the tip, delivery, I understand the tip, but collection? Did I do her a disservice by not tipping?

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've never done it but I have seen the jar on the counter. I think you are also supposed to tip bar staff as well :unsure:

9. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I tip bar staff on holiday but not at home

10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tony, absolutely NOT. NEVER tip counterstaff. They are paid differently. That goes for those begging jars, too. Ignore them. Bartenders do get paid more than servers by the restaurant, but they do get tipped. However, I only tip a bartender if I am actually at the bar and taking up space. If I am just getting a drink to stand and wait for my table, I don't tip. I'm sure that is not what they want, but too bad.

With regard to buffets, I will still tip the same amount as for full table service. First, I almost always only go to WDW buffets (and that is very rarely anymore) as those are the only ones that are kept clean enough to suit me. Those servers are always clearing the table and checking on drinks. If you truly pay attention, you will see your WDW buffet server more often than your full service server!

Wendy, Tony G and keith like this.
  11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I always tip a bartender. Perhaps that comes from my own days as one.

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have worked with clients who are deaf and/or had hearing issues and I have utilized a variety of methods if communication ( and I am horrendous at sign language but I do try) and I still continue to talk. I think it's more of I am always taking (seriously I talk out loud to myself as it helps me think) rather than being rude. I hope no one thinks that. My father has issues with hearing (especially typical female voices) and I notice that wait staff will still talk to him and talk behind him. Though I will say we had an absolutely phenomenal server at Maggianos who went above and beyond to communicate with my dad instead of letting us answer for him.

13. keith

It really can be awkward because everyone has their own hang ups. Last week with a friend in a wheelchair the server knelt down to speak to them. I thought ok , seems reasonable rather than talking down from his height, but from our friend's point of view that was the wrong thing to do. So very hard. I think all a server can do is try and take their cues from the person involved and I guess it's that way for everyone... I may want a chat but on another day I may just want the food served efficiently. I guess that's one of the skills a good server must develop

14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wow, really? Your friend in the w/c was felt that was wrong? I teach my CNAs to kneel, (one knee is fine) when addressing someone for more than just a greeting, who is in a w/c. It is very personal, true but there are some standards that should not be giving offense, such as bringing oneself to eye level with someone who is in a w/c. :)

keith likes this.