1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Questions about the Food & Wine Festival...

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Faythstar, May 26, 2013.

1. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

I really know very little about this...how exactly does it work? Do you have to buy a pass in order to participate or does your park admission gain you access to everything?

And if you have to buy a pass, are there different ones--like unlimited, or a certain number of samples, or what?
  2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Admission to Epcot is all that's required. You pay at each booth for whatever you want to try. It can get very pricy. You can also use your snack credits from DDP for some food items.
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Few years ago I thought it was brilliant! You really could go to the booths and sample loads of little things for little cost AND they were really nice.

In fact, they even used to send out a F&W booklet to us in the UK (which is unusual for Disney) and we could study it prior to getting there.

Last few years the samples have gone up in price and they've become almost disney normal IMHO :/ in that they're hardly the best examples of the countries they represent. Kinda more normal and mass produced. Perhaps it's just me :shrug1:
  4. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I'm still a huge fan :)

Certainly, as with much of the food at Disney, it is somewhat "homogenized" for the masses, but I still discover something new there each year and enjoy the extra choices it gives me while wandering round my favorite park. It's really become a bit of a tradition for us.

Evenings can be frustratingly busy, so we usually try to "eat around the world" during lunch.

To be honest, unlike others here, I don't have a memory if the "better days" when prices were low and portions were larger (I've only been going for a few years), so for me it hasn't seemed to change all that much - something I'm sure Disney banks on when they implement these gradual, subtle changes in price/menu.
  5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

There isn't a pass for the food, you can purchase a card and load money onto it rather than carrying cash if you prefer. You can get these at any of the shops in Epcot. If you are on the free dining plan, or even paying for it, you can use your snack credits to buy food.

The portions are very small, so if you are planning on doind this instead of a meal, you will need to spend a fair amount on the snacks. The menus for last year are here the prices range from $4 up to $10 there are some photos here of the things that we tried last year :)
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm with Keith, the previous years were wonderful. The chefs did live demonstrations and you had a free sample of their food. So nice! Same for some of the wineries. They would come and do a presentation with a free tasting.

Now, you pay for all that. If you want to see a live demonstration from either a Chef or a Winery, you have to purchase the event. They run about $11 or so and up.

There are other purchased events that cost more, like Party for the Senses (I think that's over $100 now).

It's still fun to go around the World Showcase and see what there is. :yes: I still enjoy it, but my life is "all about the food." :D

Sure do wish it were less commercialized and more indicative of each country, instead of being geared toward pleasing the masses. That was part of the fun! Tasting something authentic and deciding whether or not you liked it.

I mean, I can buy peirogies and keilbasa in Publix... (or make my own peirogies) so where is the fun in that? :shrug:

You'll find me there at least once though.
  7. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

Thank you all for all the information!

It is disappointing that the food is less indicative of its actual region--I was looking forward to that. More than likely we will check it out at some point, if nothing else than to say we've done it. And my mom keeps asking if the events list has been put up yet because she heard that TV's Cake Boss was there last year and she wants to know if he'll be back (she's dying to see him, lol). You've certainly given me some things to think about. I appreciate it.
  8. Tink

Any "headliner" chef like that will be a special ticketed event. They go quickly, so you'll have to keep a sharp eye out. Prior to the charging we saw some fabulous demonstrations, not only from "famous" chefs, but wonderful Disney Executive Chefs, too.

Bobby Flay, Rick Bayless, Staunton Ho, Martin Yan, Andrea Immer (well, she's a Master Sommelier, not a chef) Todd English, Annette Grechi Gray (chef of Jiko back when it was fabulous) Chef Robert (the original Artist Point Executive Chef) and on and on... We would stand on line for HOURS to see them. :lol:
  9. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

Bobby Flay is my husband's culinary hero. I can't imagine the lengths he would go to if he heard he would be there.
  10. Tink

You know? I didn't care for Bobby until I saw him at EPCOT. He came across as very arrogant and aloof on the television. This was back when he had that show where he traveled throughout the US and some other countries showcasing the food. I forget the name. He drove me bonkers with his smacking. :lol: He's stopped that. :D

Anyway, we saw him at the FWF, he was doing a demonstration set up near France, I think. He is TINY! A very slender and short man. True Irish wee folk. He was quite nervous which was endearing, and made him seem more real. The CM who was "hosting" the show talked us all into saying "OOOOOHHHHH AHHHHHHHH" whenever Bobby said a particular word. It was hysterical!! When it first happened the CM got beet red in the face and Bobby looked so shocked. Then when it happened again and again, he started laughing. He then was careful to not say the word! :D (No, I don't remember the word).

The odd thing about it all? Bobby the Hero of Grilled Food? Made Tuna Tartar for us to taste! :D It was seriously good. :yes: Those are the times I miss. They were fun, and a real part of the Festival.

Hard not to get a little jaded when you realize that those things that used to add a nice dimension to the Festival, are now all extra charges. :sigh:
  11. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

That's amazing! My husband likes a little bit of cockiness, so he never minded the attitude. I think he's pretty cool, but he's not my favorite (I'm a Robert Irvine girl :lol:). I can't believe he's so tiny though! I never would have imagined that!
  12. Tink

I think Robert Irvine was there last year.

I'm a Cat Cora person. :D But, will say Bobby did impress me for all that. I really liked Rick Bayless too. So much so I bought his cookbook and don't even really know much about Mexican cooking! :D His book is awesome though. Mexico, One Plate at a Time. He traveled throughout Mexico and had the women of the many regions teach him to cook their cuisine. Incredible.

I loved Martin Yan back in the day. Yan Can Cook. :D He was a little snooty though too! Someone thought he was an Iron Chef and he acted more than a little miffed. :nono:

Todd English was drunk during his presentation. :lol: Needless to say, he didn't wow anyone. :shrug:

It's been fun through the years. The Disney chefs are incredible (were incredible). They'd answer any question you had! I really learned quite a bit from them.
  13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

As much as we love being at Disney during the Christmas season I really think F&W is my favorite. I find, for the most part, the food to be quiet delicious and filling.

Oh, and Tink. We used to do Party for the Senses every time starting back when it was in the old buiding whose name escapes me, right there at the entrance to World Showcase, heading toward Mexico (the Odyssey??). We were known to do it more than once on a trip. However, $100 won't even get you near the place these days. Regular entry in 2012 was $145 + tax (does not guarantee a seat), reserved seating $170 + tax and Wine View Lounge $270 + tax. We haven't done it in several years now.
  14. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Be warned about F&WF in the evenings. It is insanely busy and popular. We do it in the early part of the day now.

The festival offerings they did this spring for the flower and garden festival were quite nice. Portions were pretty large and pretty good. I especially liked the pancake with chicken and green apple in China. And the frushi in Japan. It was a lot less crowded and very enjoyable.
  15. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I was hoping to see Buddy last year, but unfortunately he appeared after we had to go home. I'd have loved to see him, I love his show :yes: