1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

rant: kids at le cellier

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by dvcjane, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dvcjane

dvcjane Imagineer

last time we went we had to pick our way to our table through crowds of kids running around bashing into people. There were bags all over the floor and it was just chaos. Their parents seemed to just sit there ignoring them :rolleyes008:

i dont know whether to even consider booking there again :(
  2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Sadly a lot of parents now think their child's behavior is someone elses problem. :mad:

Suffice to say if my boy tried anything like that he would be removed from the restaurant immediately and made to apologise to anyone he had run into, etc.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It is getting pretty stressful at WDW table service restaurants (at least many of them). Strollers left helter skelter with shreiking children who are not watched carefully enough by their parent. Yet, if one of them were injured, I'll bet those parents would sit up and take better notice!

I don't know what to tell you about the restaurants, especially the park ones. :unsure: Until parents take responsibility for their offspring, you are going to have a repeat performance no matter where you try to dine.
  4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We encountered this at GF Cafe last year, mum and dad sitting holding hands while eating their breakfast whilst son and daughter running among other tables. Mum and dad kept smiling at us as if we were enjoying their little darlings :rolleyes008:

My two are no angels at home by any means but they have been brought up eating in restaurants and know how to behave. We ate in Citricos last year and a lady actually came up to us to compliment us on our childrens behaviour at dinner and I must say their children were also very well behaved. That said we chose to eat there at 6pm so it was fairly quiet and I felt that was an appropriate time for us to take our children in that restaurant.
  5. Tink

Lisa, thank you for being a wonderful parent! You should open a school for training parents! :yes:

I do tend to tell the adults with a child that the child is beautifully behaved, if that is the case. It's more to reinforce the child than the adults, but it doesn't hurt to know that your hard work is paying off, eh?

Having children means that your schedule may sometimes be interrupted, that you may not be able to see your careful plans through in some cases, that you may have to leave or miss an event for any number of reasons. Being a parent does not mean you subject your children to late night meals, other diners to exhausted children who are misbehaving, or servers to children who are going runny mumples throughout the restaurant. You may have to actually get up and remove the child, or forego the dinner all together. :rolleyes:
  6. lisaw

Thanks Tink - believe me my kids can be horrors :lol: they just know how to behave and enjoy eating in restaurants. They were taken from an early age as we eat out a lot :) I can't abide children (or adults for that matter :lol:) playing up in restaurants - be it McDonalds or Victoria and Alberts. :D
  7. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

We had this problem last year with 2 totally uncontrollable children on the table next to us. Their parents had absolutely no control and the kids just sat at the table and trashed everything they could lay their hands on. We were absolutely disgusted and it has really put us off going back there again.:mad:
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

It`s sad when this type of behaviour occurs.
    When you think about it, having a nice relaxed dinner in a good WDW restaurant is all that us childless couples want in the evening...it`s not a lot to ask for is it?
    I certainly don`t mind having children around unless they are acting like spoiled brats that is, but in a way I feel that the parents are largely to blame by dragging their worn out kids to the restaurants when it`s way past their normal bedtime.
  9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

THANKYOU for saying it, that's *exactly* the point. So often I feel people think I'm selfish for it and I know Disney is a great place for kids but come on, 9pm at a nice upscale restaurant, we should be able to relax a bit

completely agree. We had the conversation recently with a couple we know who consider that when they're on holiday thats it, the kids run round because the parents are on their "time off" :rolleyes008: they don't get it at all and of course they give all children a bad name when the majority are just having a great time with their parents sitting at the table etc.
  10. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I must be of the old school but when my kids were small they sat at the table and did as they were told. They knew their table manners and behaved (well most of the time!) I have seen this too at Disney.
    I was talking to a worker in our local Starbucks who was telling me that this is a big problem. Just because there is space, the Mums seem to think it is OK to chat and little Johnny and Josie run around. She was saying that she had a full cannister of boiling water in her two hands when she turned around with it to find a two year old behind the counter under the cannister. The worker was terrified. When she told the Mum - guess what? The mother gave off to her for almost scalding her daughter! The worker told me that she often has to return kids from behind the counter as the Mums just dont look after them while they sit and chat . Time to go back to a few basics I think!

Margaret
  11. Tink

It would be nice if servers and other restaurant workers were allowed to return the children to the table and tell the parents to control the child or leave, wouldn't it?

We were in a local restaurant where two boys easily 10-11 years old were wrestling in the walkway where the servers came out of the kitchen with laden trays. Unfortunately for those boys, it was also the walkway to the women's room. I gave them a short lecture on public manners and sent them back to their table. The adults at the table were totally oblivious to the fact that those boys had been gone. Where the heck did they think they were?

I completely agree Slowhand. Children who are kept up for a late dinner (anything after seven in my book is late for children ten and under who have been up early and in a park and or swimming all day!) are not the ones to blame for the poor behavior. Again, when people choose to procreate, they will have to amend their lives for some time until the child/children are capable of withstanding the rigors of public appearance. (Wowweeee!!! Does that sound STUFFY or WHAT)? :spring:
  12. lisaw

Not stuffy at all Tink.

Mine are now 10 and 8 and we eat around 6pm for that very reason - it used to be around 5pm, as they have got older we eat slightly later, especially at the more adult restaurants.
  13. Tink

Same here. When we have Seth with us, we have our dinner at 5-6 pm although when alone it's closer to 8:30 -9:00 pm. It's just what you do with little kids, eh?
  14. BevW

BevW Imagineer

I remember when I took my kids (aged 10, 6 & 4 at the time) out for a lunch with one of my friends and her son. Her child was AWFUL....running around, screaming, pushing stuff. My kids looked at me and they all said "Mommy, Please make him stop!" :lol:

My kids knew all about the "If you misbehave, not only will you not EVER be allowed to go with me anywhere, but you will be serverely punished when I get you out to the car"
    Worked every time.
  15. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i hate that, mine have been taught to behave in restaurants and there is nothing worse than dealing with other peoples little brats. I don't think you sound selfish at all Keith, i want a relaxed meal too and because not all parents are as conscientious- we have to suffer by not being able to go to some restaurants because they don't accept any kids. :mad:
  16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I think a child can be taught how to behave in public. Alysia was always a very good eater so meal time was always very serious around our house :yes:

I took her everywhere and taught her how to behave accordingly. The behavior as say Chuck E. Cheese is much more loud and boisterous than say a nicer restaurant. She knew better than to kick people's chairs, whine, have a fit, whatever. If anything like that happened, we were off to the bathroom or the car for a talking too. We only did that once. I don't tolerate ill behaved children well.

I figure if I was a 19 yr old, unwed parent who can teach their child how to beahve appropriately in public, surely all of the people who thought they were better than me could do the same thing.
  17. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

We dined quite late with Lexie at WDW last year. Thankfully, her manners are impeccable. Her parents are like our members--very strict about public behavior (home too, but it's a bit more relaxed).

It also helped that our bodies were in an earlier time zone for the first five days and no one was interested in dinner until about 8:00 or 9:00 p.m.! :lol: Troy stayed on his normal schedule the entire time, so he went to sleep around 1:00 a.m. and woke up about 8:00 a.m.--with a diaper change and small feeding in between. Not bad for 14 weeks old! BTW, that isn't as bad as it sounds--that's 10:00 p.m. local time for bed. :)
  18. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Imagineer

Nope, not stuffy at all :)
  19. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I have long advocated, that at least at signature restaurants, there should be an adults only section, out of both earshot and view of children. Now admittedly 9PM is late for us to be eating but we have done it occasionally.