Reading negative things about WDW - will it be awful?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deb, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Deb

Deb Active Member

I seem to be reading quite a few negative reports on here and elsewhere about how WDW is nowadays, and every element of it. I usually take any changes in my stride, and so have not been overly worried about things like FP+, I have just tried to adjust my brain to what the differences will mean in practical terms. But I am starting to get a little concerned about my upcoming trip at end of April when I read how all elements have changed for the worst and how things really aren;t how they used to be: restaurants, resorts, CMs etc. I know we will make a good time of it anyway, but the feedback on here recently it has still gotten me thinking. We are staying on resort for the full 2 weeks, eating all of our meals there, using their transport, and paying quite a bit to do so. Have things really gone so badly downhill since we were there 2.5 years ago, and since we last stayed on site 3.5 years ago? We have been thinking of trying to book to go next Autumn too, but now I am a little unsure of whether to do that until we have been in Spring and seen for ourselves.

2. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Active Member

Retired NYPD Detective
    Deb even though people like myself write that Disney World has slipped a bit over the last few years and even though we complain that things aren't the way they used to be we still continue to return trip after trip. In my case we go at least once a year with no plans to stop going. It is still by far my favorite vacation destination.
    Things have definitely changed. The ability to walk into a restaurant and get a table is no longer possible unless you booked it well in advance and now you have to book your fastpasses well in advance or you will miss out on the headliners. The quality of food is not where it once was. The ability to use and master the old fastpass system after years of practice is no longer an option. Ten years ago every cast member was so friendly and professional, back then it was extremely rare to come across a rude cast member now a days...... not so rare. The cost of a Disney vacation has gone thru the roof to the point where it is no longer has the value it once did but I am still going. I will be there in about 5 weeks and I will book my next trip while we are there so it can't be that bad.

3. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

i think the fact that the people that have posted negatively are still wanting to go back says it all really. I have to admit that it is not putting me off as such but making the fact that I haven't been for a while easier.

4. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I definitely wouldn't worry about it :) you'll have a brilliant time and as everyone else has said, even though some of us have our moans, we still want to go back!

Your post is a good reminder though... I tend to want to get the negatives out there to share them and feel better but I can forget that loads of people are reading in anticipation of their trip and it's a downer to read the negatives without the positives.

Of course there are still tons of positives otherwise we wouldn't be going back :)

Sure the restaurants are all packed out but as long as you have your reservations, is that really an issue? Some cms won't be very magical but there are many more who are! We went to Magic Kingdom a few times in a row and there was a young CM there called Taylor in the shop attached to Tony's Townsquare. Next to enthusiastic in the dictionary should be a photo of Taylor because wow! She was just SO SO SO SO SO Disney. She was there on the college program from what I could tell because I couldn't really get a word in and excited to be there doesn't really say it. I mentioned I'd been collecting pins I liked and ones people randomly bought for me over the years but needed to concentrate on some sets and her eyes lit up, she took me through just about every set in the shop explaining she'd been collecting all her life. The next day we went to Tonys and she ran over to tell us she'd been able to get a ticket for mickeys party and couldnt wait, and there were new pin sets, and there'd been new decorations and and and....

So there are great people there, truly wonderfully engaged people who love what they do but I guess it's a sad fact of life that we often concentrate on the miserable ones when reviewing.

5. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

We haven't stopped going yet, but it definitely is not as good as it has been. It used to be you could go to either MNSSHP or MVMCP on an early date and be able to do almost anything you want. However, it is getting to the point that they are selling out ALL of the parties despite the ever increasing prices. I can remember getting value resorts for under $60/night now we're lucky if we can get them under $100/night. As much as we would like to stay at the Beach Club, with rooms over $300/night that won't be happening any time soon. We do still enjoy eating at the signature restaurants but lately it seems as they all have different variations on the same menus. We'll be there again in Summer with two more grandchildren in tow though.

6. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Awful? No. But it is not the same Disney that I used to visit.

I thought long and hard and I believe that, for us the downhill slide started with the Tables in Wonderland card. That first year (when it was called something else) was horrible. We had to fight for the discount nearly everywhere, and wait a considerable amount of time for it to be deducted from our tab. The managers were never available. We ended up carrying all the literature with us so that we had proof of what the program offered. Then the DDP went into place and the rest is history. There are other factors, decreasing the number of CMs on duty at any given time, decreasing the required training for new CMs, changing long standing systems, increasing prices to the point where we truly cannot afford nearly as much as we used to...

So yes, is it still WDW? Yep. Have there been significant changes? Yep. Do many of those changes detract from the experience for me/us? Yep. Have we stopped going? We are taking a year long hiatus.

7. keith

Home Page:
    I think it's a lot more acutely noticed by those of us who go often. I said to a colleague how miffed I was about disney recently and she said oh we LOVED magic kingdom and oh those epcot fireworks and we had the best time..... I guess in a way, the magical things are still there but I'm used to them so I'm now looking for more and because I'm less completely enthralled with things I'm having more time to notice the service decline.

Thing is, 95% of Disney CMs still smile and say hi to me, it was 100%/99% but 95% is about 95% better than other places :lol:

I just worry that they're more concerned with scraping the $s and the new technology like the bands than the basics

8. Britchick

i did find i got jaded with it, even 10 years ago- we had gone 8 times over 3 years and it was just too much. I think if you have too much of a good thing it's not as special anymore. The other thing of course is change -people don't like change, those who are new haven't known any different

9. keith

Home Page:
    very true Brit

The lady at work stayed onsite completely and used the dining plan, fastpass+ and everything else. She truly didn't have a bad thing to say about it.

All her reservations were there, everything paid with dining plan in advance, fp+ worked fine.

She even made me GRRRR by noting that "oh there were such fancy restaurants we'd never have eaten in without the plan, look at the prices" - which got me pondering the prices. Certainly as uscwest says the actual food is very similar even across top end places now and yet the dining prices are high. I'm going to have to look at the dining plan again perhaps.

10. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    The thing I dislike the most about recent changes is that you lose the spontaneity at WDW with HAVING to make reservations for sit down meals and scheduling all your fast passes. It's become too controlling. I spend so much time scheduling my days for work and school I just want to go and enjoy something.

I'm curious to see what we many encounter in December since we haven't been in the parks for over 2 years. We have our resident annual pass for Dec 14 through Dec 15 and then we are taking a long break from Disney maybe going back closer to the 50th anniversary in 2021. There are so many other things we want to do and see. Plus, hopefully all the major construction will be completed by then? (Avitarland, Starwarsland, DHS expansion, 5th gate, DTD, etc.....)

11. Britchick

Me too Disneyfreak, it was bad enough having to schedule dining, now plan which park and which ride... I can't see DHS liking it one bit. We shall see!

12. Tink

I'm torn with regard to the concept of over saturation. Years ago, we used to go to EPCOT nearly every Friday. We'd walk the WS, and often have dinner there. We used to revel in looking for the subtle differences, the little new things, the changeups....

We never tired of walking and taking photos often, of the area. Disney was sparkling clean, and we got to know the CMs at the IG so well that one hugged us with tears in her eyes when she was transferred.

For us, the over saturation wasn't a factor until things started changing. Since I'm fairly vocal about liking change, I've given this some thought. What bothered/s me? The change that wasn't for the better, that wasn't for the improvement, that wasn't for bringing new things to the guests. Does anyone remember that incredible Christmas season when there was a calliope brought in and the artist played it so beautifully each evening at the lighting ceremony?

Those are the things I miss. I liked looking forward to the usual things like Food and Wine Festival, so I could enjoy the new things, the changes, the new experiences.

I hope that makes some sense?

13. keith

Home Page:
    Question to you all, do you think we're too negative? Would you rather somehow we stay a little more rosy about Disney and put negatives in a separate ranting part that you could choose to read or not?

No idea how such a thing would work but if this is your happy place you go to to feel good about your upcoming trip, I could see how negatives could actually be really depressing.

14. keith

Home Page:
    it really does and by the way, I and others really miss your weekly walk around epcot posts :(

I dont know the answer I really dont. I feel like I should spend a few days at Disney onsite next year and try to see if I can recapture the magic. Perhaps if I had the dining plan and went with the flow...

15. Tink

Yes, I do feel more than a little guilty for sharing my opinion. I sometimes think that I've been around too long. I think that maybe an area entitled "Concerns about Disney" or concerns about any park...
    Or something with a more positive title, instead of concerns?

16. Tink

I used to really like those weekly visits. I'd do reports on them, remember? LIVE From WDW it's EPCOT or WS, or something like that. :lol: I'd take a few photos of things that I thought were different...

17. keith

Home Page:
    that's what I wonder? I can't not share the bad, I mean I've done that even on the happy happy keep smiling forums many years ago :lol: but perhaps some specific area.

I must admit, with everything negative on the news, tv, radio etc. I'd like to not book an expensive trip and then read lots of complaints before I go, I'd like this to be the place I go for a bit of light relief from the world

18. Deb

Deb Active Member

I am just dashing through, but wanted to say thanks to everyone for their replies, it's been a really interesting read and made me think too. I shall reply tomorrow with my own thoughts, but I will say it has nice to have a little balance here. I really want to hear about the negatives, or the changes that people don't like so much, it helps with decisions and expectations. But it would also be nice to hear about the things that are still enjoyed now and again - though maybe as humans we tend to notice and discuss the changes rather than the things that stay the same, and if those changes are mostly for the worst, then of course that is what will stand out.

Tink, I miss those threads of yours too. I used to so look forward to them. Mystikpiglit's thread while she is away has been nice to look at. To hear someone say "this is our new favourite restaurant!" is lovely!

19. Tink

Yes, it certainly is nice, Debs. :yes:

20. Britchick

I get what you're saying Tink about every Friday evening but I wonder if a couple of hours a week could be classed as over saturation compared to 2 weeks once or twice a week? Just debating.

Keith, I think it's very easy to go down the negative route, we're all guilty of that!