1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Recipe for babyback ribs please??

Discussion in 'Other Recipes' started by Deb, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

I have bought some small racks of baby back ribs - does anyone have a great recipe for them please? I haven't cooked them for years, but I do recall I used to do them in a pressure cooker for the first part, and I don't have one of those anymore. I'd like them to be really tender, but also like they often are in the States, where you can cut each rib off and eat it with your fingers! I am allergic to chilli too, so can't have anything with that in, though I can usually modify a recipe :thumbsup:

I know that you guys in the US eat at least one rack of ribs a day, along with a coupla burgers and apple pie with ice-cream so I figured you were the guys to ask ;) :D

Thanks guys :)

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

My mother always boils them first so that they are super tender and then just finishes them in the oven.

3. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

I think that is what the pressure cooker bit was for in my old recipe, but I have no idea on how long I boil them for, whether I add the sauce then or afterwards....:unsure:

My Mum wasn't very good at these...she used to just stick them in the oven for a short while and they were so tough! But don't tell her I said that or she'll :slap: me

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

the key to fall off the bone meat is to slow cook. Are you going to use a dry rub for the meat as well? Put the rub and the sauce on the meat and then encase in aluminum foil. Bake on the oven on low heat (225 farenheit) for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Yeah, right. LOL. I'm the last person to give you rib advice because I can't even get them cooked to MY liking. I've tried both par boil and slow cook and I still can't get them like the restaurants do, so basically I've given up trying and if I want ribs I go out and get them.

6. hurster97

hurster97 Earning my ears

Pop them in a very hot oven (450F) on a sheet tray, uncovered for about a half an hour. You can pre season them with a rub if you wish.

Remove them from the oven, transfer to a shallow baking pan, and cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.

Return them to the oven at 225F and allow to cook for about 3-4 hours.

Remove the covering the last half hour and add your favorite sauce if desired. Finish off in the oven for the last half hour. They will be delicious and fork tender.

I highly recommend the dry rub and bbq sauce from the Flame Tree BBQ at DAK. I make it all the time! (Omit the chili powder)

If you want the recipe, it's available on line or I have the scaled down home version.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Herself makes the best ribs ever. I'm not home to get her recipe for you though.

It does involve slooooow cooking (and NO parboiling as that takes away from the flavor). Very slow oven, basting with her incredible sauce (that features the Jameson :D )...

Yummy stuff!

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

So when is dinner? Sounds yummy.

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oven of course, only when it's not convenient to use the grills. :D

10. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I make my own sauce when I cook ribs for my Dad. (No-one else in our house likes them)

150ml soy sauce
    150ml tomato ketchup
    75g honey (the squeazy runny stuff)
    Minced ginger
    1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
    1 tbsp chopped rosemary
    2 spring onions, chopped

Combine the above, and then place the ribs at the bottom of a pan. Add the sauce, and enough water to cover. Boil for about an hour. Then, take the ribs out, and continue heating the sauce on the hob until it's reduced and sticky in consistency. Grill the ribs for about 10 minutes either side, keep basting with the sauce.

Haven't made them for ages but have the recipe written down. I originally saw it on T.V, it was double the quantities of soy sauce, ketchup and honey, but I halved it since you are only using small ribs.

11. warduria

warduria Earning my ears

Thanks for sharing.

12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

ohmy god!!

this sounds mouth watering!!