1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Recommend a villa location!

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Claire, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

For our 2010 trip we're going to stay in a villa. Obviously the choice of areas is vast and each place will no doubt have it's merits. Because there are so many I have no idea where to start! Can you nice people tell me what you think is a great place to base ourselves?

We obviously love WDW but also love to visit Seaworld, Celebration and shopping at the main malls. Somewhere handy to these places with minimum driving and I know this might be a tall order but if there is somewhere where you don't sit in hours of traffic queues morning and night would be a bonus!

I'm not familiar with road names etc but DH is so if you know of a place thats on 'this' road or 'that' road I can relay this to DH and he will no doubt say "Oh I know where that is"

Fank you lovely people!:birdie:

2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

we have always stayed in the davenport area

sunridge woods
    esprit
    calabay parc

and next trip sunset ridge gated community from our own malcolm a bit further south near haynes city, but jusrt a quick drive away

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'd have to go along with Mick's recommendation. The Route 27 area just south of the 192 west intersection is going to be your best bet.

Very little traffic and just minutes from the attractions and shopping. If you wanted to head to the Tampa area for Bush Gardens, it's nicely located to start you on your way there, too.

The whole of the 27 corridor has built up over the years so it now has much better selections for dining and shopping.

4. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Hi Claire ...first thing to do is a "wish" list for example if you look for a 5 bed villa

2 master bedrooms ensuite
    3 twin bedrooms
    additional bathroom
    south faceing pool not overlooked
    spa
    gamesroom
    quiet location
    easy access to main areas
    shops restraunts close by
    walmart/target/publix close by

this sort of thing you need to sit down and see with your family fits your needs then go onto a site and state your dates and flexability bear in mind most owners can be flexible a few days either way so you may want to book the villa and say to owner that you want a few days either side of your dates as flexability(pending flight dates)
    A good site to "general request" on is www.villasneardisney.net address it to Tracy and mention my name...she has a good selection and is good to talk to.(Hope this is ok Keith/mods please edit if not)
    The US27 is very up and comeing with a new mall area thats just opend opposite our estate and more modern than the US192 which is very tourist orientated. But they still have some very good estates on there so do check them out.
    Hope the info may help
    Malcolm

5. Catherine

Catherine Earning my ears

We have stopped all over and to be honest, the best place for us, is as close to the 192 as possible. Somewhere near Old lake Wilson Road, this year we are staying at Sunset Lakes. This community is very close to the 192, (Formosa Gardens area) maybe 2 mins drive. In the past we have stopped in Davenport, Clermont, ect and even though they have been lovely, we have found the drive back to/from WDW a bit of a nightmare, especially Orange Tree in Clermont, just passed Cagan;s Crossing near the Walmart. I cant remember the slip you use once the 192 finishes but every night it was backed up and we got stuff in the most horendous traffic.

So having stayed at Indian Ridge oaks many years ago and loved the location we have opted for one much closer to the disney exit.

We have also stopped at Eagle Pionte, down the other end of the 192, which was ok, right near the Walmart on Oren Brown Drive, Medieval Times. Not a bad location really but prefer to be a little further down.

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i agree with Catherine, when we have stayed in a villa it has been indian ridge, although we spend more time in the disney parks than US and SW etc. Its only 20-30 mins to them though. Will be looking for one closer to disney next time so any suggestions of villas that will sleep 9 gratefully recieved for 2010.

7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

http://www.disneypalmsvilla.com/HOME.html

But you can't have it for August. :D

8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

As you are going to be staying that far south then you MUST try Mannys chop house... the food is to die for. Plus there is a big WalMarts that way too.

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've heard that Manny's is very good! Never been there, but may take a drive one fine Sunday! :D

The section of 192 west that leads to 27 can indeed back up. :( There is the Black Lake Road cutoff, but that only saves you from having to travel part of the 192 stretch. 'Course part is better than none, eh? :yes:

11. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

Chosing a villa is hard, the first time we weren't involved in the decision making but Gavin's dad picked a perfect location which is the same location we chose for this year.

The location is Hampton Lakes which is on the US27, the location was perfect for us as we spend almost equal time at Disney and Non-Disney parks and this is around halfway between Disney and Universal.

After the location is decided you need to make a wish list of what you want from your villa as there are so many to choose from you need some way of eliminating them.

Our list was .....

4 Bedrooms - two of which needed to be ensuite
    Games room
    Lots of space around the pool for chairs and tables, Plenty of room to relax outside

It could take a long time to find the right one for you but keep at it 'cos it will be there, somewhere!

:)

Jodie

12. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

WWW.MANNYSCHOPHOUSE.COM :bike2: a must every visit!!!

13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

what more could you want? meat and margaritas!!!!

i have drool running down my chin:sigh;

14. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Why have I never been to Mannys? :eek:

15. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

too busy starving hippos

16. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Maybe you should take of that Habit and not lead such an innocent life..:g020::rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Even before you get the tender meat they come out with delicious bread rolls that come with a little pot of cinnamony honey butter.... deeeeeeelish.... then the salad, the bottomless salad.... is mixed up in a bowl at your table in a dressing and that is also delicious.... then when you have stuffed your faces with that you think oh heck... where am I going to put the meat?.... but you just have to find room for that delicious melt in the mouth meat. The themeing is loud and they have a loud jukebox but if you can block out the sound it's worth it for the food alone.... Just wear casuals.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  18. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Thanks all! Much to look at and think about. I know we need 4 beds and the less time spent in a car the better. A pool is a necessity and a games room isn't! Malcolm, thank you for the link. How do you choose?

Do all villa's come with a security gate type affair leading to the pool? Plus, would we be better going for a gated community?

19. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We only stay in the Formosa Gardens area, which is Rolling Hills, Formosa Gardens, Sunset Lakes, Oak Island.

There is a brand new development in Windsor Hills with is on Old Lake Wilson Road, you are only one set of lights away from shortcut then, which saves a lot of time.

20. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I was thinking the same!