1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Relaxing in the parks?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by keith, Jan 5, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I know it's similar to Wendys question but in the actual parks, do you get a chance to sit down and relax, enjoy the atmosphere? or are you like me, rushing around from place to place and not taking a breath?

I ask because for the last few years I feel I've treated the parks almost like chores :/ perhaps not THAT bad, but things that have to be done because they're on my planner. Go there, take a deep breath, join in the masses, try and get to where Im going, get out and tick it off.

I'm not sure I've sat down in the magic kingdom, taken a deep breath and taken stock of where I am for the last X visits :/

Any one else or is it just me?!

2. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We always take the time to sit and chill out. World Showcase is the best. I particularly enjoy getting a Labatts in Canada, finding a bench to sit at, and let the kids have a little run around. Even in the height of summer if you come off the main path, there's plenty of room for them to do that.
    You also get moments like this

[​IMG]

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Awww love this picture

Vikki likes this.
  4. Johnie

My perfect day would be to go to the Magic Kingdom, get a dole whip and sit in front of my castle. I don't have to do anything else.

I think I'm the exact opposite. The more I go, the less I feel the need to rush. I love to sit and people watch (which is much more entertaining when it's hot out). I've spent many many hours in the tequila cave and the pub in the UK.

Watchinherskip likes this.
  5. Vikki

It's my favourite from the whole trip :-D

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Truly beautiful picture Vikki :yes:

I don't know what it is that's stopping me from taking time to enjoy the surroundings :/ I think it's the crowds

Vikki likes this.
  7. Johnie

Ah yes the crowds are bad. I can understand that.

8. Vikki

I find that no matter now busy it is, there's always places to relax. I find the trails at AK are reslly good for that too.

9. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I must admit, I've been a bit of a rushing Ronnie recently (any fans of alliteration?!).

Last time I got to relax was at Disneyland. I was sitting at Casey's Corner with a hot chocolate in the evening, taking some time out to people watch. I enjoyed it for around 20mins before the idea sparked that I should visit DCA, as it was due to close shortly, so should be quiet. I let the thought percolate in my head for about a minute before leaping to my feet and power walking to DCA.

I was surprised that when I entered, the cast member cheerfully greeted me with a huge smile and said 'enjoy your evening'. I was expecting to be told that the park would soon close.

All I can say is that was one of the best decisions I made. Not only did I get to walk on Radiator Springs Racers (twice!) but also got time to take some shots of the neon-lit Cars Land while it was relatively empty and catch World of Colour as I exited. After the show, I strolled back slowly and took in the atmosphere, relishing the cast members with their Mickey hands waving goodnight.

The magic of Disney parks doesn't require you to be still, just going slow enough and being aware enough to experience it.

Cars Land.jpg Cozy Cone.jpg Radiator Springs.jpg V8 Cafe.jpg World of Colour.jpg

Watchinherskip, Beccaberry and keith like this.
  10. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

We now spend a great deal of time just sitting and watching the world go by.
    There are so many spots but a few of our favourites are:
    The hidden walkway beside the river in Frontierland. Never busy.
    The Dawa bar in AK.
    The gardens in China or UK, Epcot.

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We stroll along and sit when we please, watching it all happen before us. Now, having said that, we don't often go to MK. When we do, we tend to be there for specific reasons and get in and get out.

AK and EPCOT are the places we enjoy most and really like to take our time and poke here and there. That comes from being able to go so often though. We never feel the need to rush, nor wait on long lines.

12. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Now that I think about, I don't think we've ever done the rush around thing when at the parks. We always take breaks to just sit and have a cold drink, relax, and people watch :)

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

My biggest problem with trying to relax in the parks is trying to find someplace in the shade to relax. I can't spend as much time in the sun as I used to due to medications I am taking.

14. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

as i don't go on the gairy rides I spend quite a bit of time just sitting and people watching, I just love being there in the atmosphere. Most of the time people don't even know you're looking at them! You see the best of people and the worst of people :lol:

Lauren Rogers likes this.
  15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Amazingly beautiful photos, Tony!!! Thank you for sharing!

And I LOVE what you said (above). That ought to be on a postcard!

16. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Aw shucks, glad you liked them!

:thankyou:

17. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

We have a few "quiet" spots in the parks that we have come to enjoy...

The big round bench the encircles the tree near Tusker House in AK. The small tables outside Casey's Corner in MK. The benches along the walkway to the castle in MK. The stoops along the Avenue of the Americas in MGM. The water fountain outside of The Muppets in MGM. The corners tucked away in Morocco in EPCOT. The little seating area tucked away by the entrance of EPCOT with all the lights embedded in the ground. Some of my favorite memories.

We do still have our moments of "rushing" (and those are fun, too!) but boy, do I cherish those quiet times...

18. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Love the Dole Whip Float!

We take time to sit and chill (usually with the DWF!) and love to people watch. I get a kick out of seeing the generally blissful faces of everyone walking about making memories. We have a great time at the studios walking about on the street interacting with the CMs in character. DD Alex had some great memories with one iconic actress who said hello it must be thrilling to meet me. Too funny.

We also love to spend time in the lobbies of the resorts. One of our fondest memories was last trip to AKL where we got to get a drink and sit by the big fireplace after a full day running about the park. Gosh you have me missing the place so that I need to start planning!