Rental Car

Discussion in 'Transportation, Travel and Car Rental' started by Wendy, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Who do you use to get your car through?

When we went in 2013 we used USRentacar but they don't seem to have the insurance cover I am looking for.

We had problems with the tyres on our rental in 2013 and we found out that they are not covered by the insurance on the car and we were liable for replacement costs.

We went to Walmart and the guy in there filled the tyre for us and said that we should take it back asap and say that the light kept coming on for the tyres - which it did - and get the car changed. Dollar were very good and changed it to another car and gave us a free upgrade to a tank :lol:

I can't for the life of me remember the guy's name at Dollar but he explained that tyres, windscreen and undercarriage used to be included with the all inclusive insurance but that now it wasn't and if something happened to any of these then we would have to pay for repair/replacement. Needless to say Chris paid for the insurance to cover this.

Does anyone know of a company that includes this or will we just have to pay at the desk, after the last escapade Chris wants to pay extra for peace of mind.

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It is so expensive to pay at the desk. I am no help though, because I don't know.

Did you check with Hertz, or Enterprise? Sometimes they have better features than other rental car companies.

3. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I havent dont this but I know a guy who swears by ordering the lowest insurance possible from the car hire places and then gets extra everything insurance from a separate place which is much cheaper. I'll try and find out where it is

I normally just do the fully inclusive but not the extras :/ my theory is that they're generally relatively new cars with low mileage and I'd be quite unlucky to have a problem. If I *did* then I've got the money saved from not taking out the extra insurance for the previous 25 times or whatever to pay for it ;-) I guess I'd do the absolute minimum to get it back on the road, unusual for a windscreen to completely shatter unless it's got a defect to start with, undercarriage problems well hmmm I'm not off roading with it just going to the mall :p I guess tyre damage is the most likely

4. Tink

Oh, and I don't know about rentals, but car insurance companies here in Florida replace the windshield for free (the first time) so I'd not be taking any nonsense from a car rental place about their having to replace a windshield. The only way one would break would be in an accident, of course (potentially) or if a big truck threw up a huge rock, and that's pretty darn rare.

5. Wendy

The cost of the tyre replacement on the car we had would have been $400ish as it was a special tyre with a gauge and sensor all built in! You can't just have tyre cover unfortunately :sigh:

6. keith

Home Page:
    unless it was seriously completely burst, I'd take it to somewhere give the guy some $20s and say, make it good enough for me to take back <G> kinda like they did for you anyway!

7. Tink

That is utter nonsense! I'd be telling any rental car then, that I wanted ONLY regular tires with standard valve stems and none of that new nonsense. Those can (usually) be plugged if it's a puncture. Unbelievable the stunts places pull.

8. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

if you get a fly drive with British airways and are an executive member they give you the tyre/windscreen/underneath insurance and an extra driver within the price of the rental. I was looking for 10 days in a ford focus or similar and all inclusive was around £200 which i thought was quite reasonable.

9. keith

Home Page:
    yeah must admit that sounds excellent

10. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

same old problemo for you though Keith! lol

11. keith

Home Page:
    yep ba just doesnt work for me from manc

12. Wendy

I've looked at USrentacar and for 22 days for an SUV with their platinum insurance which covers everything including extra driver, full tank of fuel and all insurances it's £501 which doesn't seem too bad to me.

13. Tink

OMG. That's outrageous! :eek: Guess I'd better familiarize myself with rental car rates across the pond, if that's a good price! :eek:

14. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    I've always used US Car Hire/Florida Car Hire, their service is outstanding and their rates are good.

...Of course, they own the company I advertise my villa with, so I am slightly biased, but I used them for years before I bought my villa.

SHAMELESS PLUG:
    If anyone is feeling generous, feel free to enter my villa reference '3539' in the referrer box (I don't get any funds, but the points push my villa up in the search rankings)

15. Wendy

I'll have a look Tony and of course I will use your reference :)

16. Dawn

Dawn New Member

We have to pay lots of extra insurances that you guys have covered on your standard automobile insurance.

17. keith

Home Page:
    ok Im about to book with them ... have they always been ok Tony?

18. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    I've used them for years and they've always been excellent.

They introduced tiered pricing a few years ago, so now not all their rental includes the maximum level of insurance, but it's included in their 'Gold' package.

Put it this way - they're still the first place I go when I'm looking to book car hire.

19. keith

Home Page:
    Cheers Tony :) do you always go "gold" ?

20. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    I do if I'm travelling with family, as you get free additional drivers and don't have to go through the trouble of refuelling.

When I'm on my own, Silver basic works for me... 'cos I'm cheap!