1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

renting DVC points

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Tinker, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I never even realized there was such a company . As you know by now I'm trying to surprise Pat & Kim with 10 nights at Old Key West in June . Why June ... well it was May but once the pin event was announced for June and my birthday is that date, I changed my mind fast .
    I'm trying to work with a DVC member at $85.00 a night . His home resort is SS , but I'm hoping he can get us in OKW , if not SS will have to do
    Now there are members that are renting at $14.00 a point . If I was going to pay that I'd book directly through Disney .
    Right now , I got a price of a little over $3,000 in a studio for four versus $850.00 to rent . Its a no brainer which is the better deal . I wish I had known about this along time ago . I'd been saving all kinds of money . Now I do realize we are responsible for our own mousekeeping . Which is no biggie since my room is practically spotlees when we leave a resort . Do we bring our own sheets and towels along, too ? If so, I need to buy some queen sheets . So, has anyone ever done this rented points from or to ?
    I have to if I owned I'd have no clue what this point system meant . Now I'm renting and told a friend that they will actually have points left over to rent if I get into OKW . I'm getting good at this .

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

And I was saying I was doing so good :rolleyes008: I just realized after emailing the DvC member that points expire in April . I emailed again and apologized but asked if she can still be of help to email me as I'm unsure how this works . Back to the planning board . I have alot of time , so no worries really and a great deal may be released through Disney . I'm not giving up, now I have my heart set on OKW .

3. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

I hope you find something tinker i would love to stay at Old Key West

4. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Thank You .

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Its somewhere I've always wanted to stay too. One of these days I hope!

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

When you stay at OKW (even with rented points) you don't have to bring anything with you other than clothes, personal products and food (including salt and pepper, and coffee filters). We always like a few ziplock baggies, and saran wrap too, but everything else is there.

I don't know much about renting points, but I'd say be absolutely certain the person you rent from is above board. You can lose all your money without recourse if that isn't the case.

7. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

What is above board ? This is an official DVC website resales & rentals . I would hope its not a rip off .

Haven't heard from this person as of yet . She's offering SS and my ? was for OKW and the month I'm inquiring about . Nothing ventured, nothing gained . :yes: This owner i speak of has it posted at $85.00 a night in a studio . Others are asking from $11.00 to $14.00 per point . The Beach Club for ten nights $2,240.00 which is still a good deal for the Beach Club, but not for me . :lol:

8. Tink

It's a company that rents DVC points? :unsure: You are sure it's legitimate (above board)? :unsure: I've never heard of it, so I'm a little jumpy. But that's me. :shrug: Just wanting to be sure you don't get taken. :(

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

What company are you using Tinker?

10. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I found someone willing to rent me 174 points for $10.00 a point and she called to check on availability and there was . We are staying at OKW from June 19th to June 29th . She has been with DVC 20 years and is a lovely professional woman . She lives in Michigan and is having a home built in Tampa . Her daughter attends a college in Belgium . She only had a couple of posts as she is as new as I am to this . That at first worried me until I spoke to her . I offered to send her a non refundable deposit in good faith and she said, lets do this , I will make the reservation which will be in my name, this way I don't lose the studio , not to pay her until I have the full payment in February . And if it turns out that I can't do it for some reason, nothing ventured, nothing gained, as it costs her nothing to book it . She knew her stuff . The first thing she said was its not hard to rent points, the hard thing is getting availability . Her use year runs to July 2009 and in February, she would either have to re rent the points, use them herself or bank them . Is that right Sister Tink ? She has a home based business and does a lot of traveling and with having a home built and her daughter being away, she really doesn't have time to use them . So, that said, it looks like we will be staying at OKW .

11. Tink

Hmmmm...DVC hasn't been running for twenty years. If her use year is February, and you back out once she's booked the room she runs a real risk of losing her points. There are stages of being able to cancel.

Yes, she either has to use, bank, or lose her points yearly. Renting them is an option.

I guess I'm a little confused. I thought you were renting points from a company, not an individual.