1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Restaurants that let you down second time around?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Mags, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Have you ever eaten at any Disney restaurants, loved the experience and gone back again only to be disappointed?
    The one that stands out for us was Coral Reef. The first time, the food was amazing and we were seated one row back from the fish tank. We were so taken by the experience that we went back on our next visit but it was appalling. We were seated at the back in a very crowded noisy restaurant. The server was terrific, but the food portions were minute and the food itself lousy. I dont think I will be visiting again soon.
    The other restaurant that will never be graced by my presence again is Boma. The first time was a shocker but I thought I had got it so wrong as the reviews are good, so I went back. The second time was even worse. The service was non existent and the rib I was served was a plate of fat. The soup was vile as well. It didnt help that the place was a mad house too. :rolleyes2:
    So, what are your experiences? :)

Mags
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh Mags, what a GREAT question

I think my overall most disappointing experience was narcoosees. We went the first time and sat by the window, saw the water pageant, had a great server, great wine, great food and a wonderful evening.

The next time we went, it couldnt be more different! We got the WORST server ever. She was plain nasty and we complained about her to management staff who also didn't care. The meal was rubbish and to end it all, she charged the dining plan twice :( which at the time we couldnt tell until we went to the next evenings dinner and didnt have enough credits.
  3. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

Two come to mind actually... Le Cellier and Rose and Crown.
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Unfortunately, Jiko. It's not the second time, as we went there often, but this last time will be the last time for a very long time.

California Grill. Herself's entree was inedible. :( Again, not a second time, but we'll not be back.

Artist Point used to be fabulous! The last time we were there? Meh.

I remember the nasty meat you had at Boma. You once posted a photo of it. So gross!
  5. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I THINK THE SECOND VISIT TO ANYTHING IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE FIRST AND EVERY TIME I GO TO DISNEY I TRY TO GO TO A DIFFERENT RESTURANT THE ONLY RESTURANT I HAVE GONE BACK TO AND ENJOYED EVEN MORE IS THE RAINTREE RESTURAN T IN ST AUGUSTINE
  6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Robert, I certainly agree with that.
  7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

50s Prime Time. First time we went is was the best attraction in the park. Second time - well it was just a mediocre restaurant with none of the interaction we'd had first time around. Food was ok, nothing special but it didn't live up to the hype any more.
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Sadly mine was the Yachtsman :( we have always had a great time here and the food is good, but the last time we went the server was terrible and the food wasn't as nice as it usually is.

I'd be worried about going back, but I might be tempted to give it a try if our usual server is there :)
  9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We found that as well Wendy. Some years ago YC was our must do, sometimes twice a trip but then it went off. In fact our server a couple of years ago was missing for so long that I became concerned about her and used the time to draw a detailed map of the restaurant for her on a napkin, highlighting our table. Sadly it didn't seem to help :(

Our last time we were fortunate enough to have a wonderful server as we all know :) and the meal was better than ever as well so it's back in our good books.
  10. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Donna, was it Boma or Jiko where the foul meat was? Isn't Boma a buffet? I think we ate there and it was. I wouldn't select something that looked off if I had options. Anyhoo, it is rather disturbing how we experienced Disneyphiles are finding the service and food selections going in the wrong direnction. I guess I would agree with the posts. I think the Coral Reef stands out as a total let down the second (and third time) we ate there. The first time my DW and I went, it was kind of a different experience all together. It was 1988 and remember that we had to run to Epcot to get our reservations for the day on the television things. Every meal we had then was awesome. We ate several meals at the restaurant at the old Disney Inn (golf themed and not sure of the name of it), Ohana, Coral Reef.

Shame that we for the most part have noticed the decline. I don't get the sense of pride of the CMs in general like it used to be. They made you feel kind of special (all the time). Now if you get proper service or some little perk it seems like a miracle.

shame that is all.
  11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Donna rarely, if ever, eats the meat at Boma so i don't think it was her that Tink was talking about that posted a picture of some awful meat. Now she did have an awful meal at JIKO. It was Falafel with Bunny Chow. It was vegetarian. Donna has a tendency to call it Awful Falafel.
  12. Watchinherskip

:lol:Too funny!!!!

Wow and neither one are exactly inexpensive at all! You would think that someone from WDW would check these forums and get a feel from their clientelle. We all can't be wrong right?

Funny thing is I noticed similar experiences on our cruises. On our first cruise (non Disney - RC cruise) we had the best experience of them all. It was an older vessel, not a mega boat (Monarch of the Seas) and the food was in a word WONDERFUL. Great service, the best. On subsequent cruises it has gotten worse and worse. Now the food isn't bad but far from where it was. I think the idea is to get to you spend more money at the permier clubs/restaurants on board.
  13. Mags

That would have been me. The photo was so awful, I gag whenever I see it. I will dig it up. It is a treat. lol
    Nice!? lol

[​IMG]

Mags
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  14. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Ick. Now I like a slight bit if fat cause that's what gives it a good flavor but not that much. My grandma would be in heaven lol
  15. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

What the heck was that!!?? :thud:
  16. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

Mags had some nasty, fatty meat at Boma. When I eat at Boma I never make it to the meat section

I had some awful falafel (and bunny chow) at Jiko two visits ago. Now, that was the trip where I was so sick. But John tried it and also considered it awful. So we now refer to it as the "awful falafel"..
  17. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Oh my goodness that is disgusting, Chris would have walked that over to the manager.
  18. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Remember that the meat like that at Boma is carved before your very eyes. I would have rejected it and asked for another piece from the get go.
  19. Watchinherskip

Holy cats that looked bad. I am with John though, think I would have opted out of that offer. I am glad I got to try it once. I wasn't really anxious to try it but my SIL was very high on the place from a previous trip. There was some really tasty stuff, but I felt like I had to really pick and choose carefully.
  20. Mags

I must admit, it was so busy and the line so long that I didnt even notice the fat until I went on to the next station. Believe me the beef wasnt the worst food that evening. The watery soup with a few pieces of vegetable and several pieces of sausage in it looked like something that might have been served at the gulags. :eek3: What a forgettable evening that was. :lol:

Mags