Rumours of Norwalk vomiting virus at WDW

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by eeyoreguy, Dec 23, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy New Member

Rumours are surfacing on many disney sites about serious outbreaks of the norwalk virus at various wdw locations. Saratoga springs is mentioned as being badly hit as well as the yacht and beach clubs.

Mousekeepers are said to be using stronger bleach to try and stem the outbreaks.

Many visitors have reported members of their party getting suddenly ill and suffering for several days.

2. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Nowhere is safe from the Norwalk virus really. All it takes is one affected person not to wash their hands after visiting the restroom - they touch a door handle, next person touches same handle, doesn't wash hands, touches mouth and there you go.

Not surprising it's hit a densely populated place like WDW.

3. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    agreed

I didnt see/hear much of it the first week we were there but the second week it did seem like a ton of people were ill.

We overheard people saying they'd got sick at a park and instantly felt so ill they couldnt even make it back to their rooms until they'd stablised a bit.

We did catch a cold/cough whilst there but nothing near as bad as that.

There were a lot of people asking for lysol wipes and things at the shops too, I guess to wipe down all the surfaces.

4. mumof2

mumof2 Active Member

what a nightmare that would be :thumbsdown:

5. Britchick

Britchick Active Member

i have the hand cleanser on a retractable cord for work so i take that with may any place like that. everyone thinks i'm over reacting but i've got a thing about going down with a stomach bug like that.

dh had it last year we think- he had to run out of a meeting and threw up in the car park! we didn't get it and i like to think that's because of my precautions- using separate loo, towels etc.

6. Dorothy

Dorothy Active Member

Medical Transcriptionist
    I talked to Wendy last night and she said they thought that Chris had gotten food poisoning from breakfast at the CP, now I'm wondering if he had a touch of this stupid virus :unsure:

I'll text her later and let her know that this is going around :sigh:

7. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I wonder whether this is what we have both had :unsure: As Dorothy said, Chris was very ill after CP, we put it down to food poisoning.

I was really bad yesterday, never felt anything like it before, Chris wanted to take me to the doctor but I wouldn't go. I'm lifeless and still can't face eating anything, we were supposed to be with Diane and Dave today :( We have seen each other briefly though and she is lovely :D

Makes me wonder now, I can't have caught it from Chris though he was sick a week ago.

8. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    It does sound very much like what people were describing to us.

One lady said she got to epcot on the bus, got off, just got inside and suddenly felt sick. She vomited then was so tired she couldnt even face getting back on the bus. In the end, when she was upto it, they went to the medical centre and a taxi was called for them. For a good 24hrs she couldnt face eating, going anywhere etc.

9. Dorothy

Dorothy Active Member

Medical Transcriptionist
    It's still possible hun, your body just may have been able to fight it off for a week before finally giving in. I'd do a bit of disinfecting around the house when you are feeling better to make sure the germs are all gone.

I'll give you a call later on today to see how you're doing :hug2: