1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Ryan Air

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Britchick, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

this week Ryan Air announced that they were going to start flying to the US for as little as £10 each way. Of course baggage, food etc would be extra. Now i always said i'd never fly Ryan Air but this has got me sorely tempted to think about it. What do you think?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

No :( I'm sorry to sound like a snob and you KNOW I'll grab a deal even economy ;-) as and when it comes up but no chance I'm going to give Ryan Air any money.

If I'm going to be locked in a metal tube for 9 hours 36000 feet above the sea, I'm going to pay enough to feel that I'm going to be well looked after and that the plane has been fueled with ample for emergencies etc.

I can understand people making do on a 60 min european flight but all the way to the states? I'll save up and go properly.

3. keith

Ah there you go... more bluster from the king of marketing himself just to get themselves in the newspapers and on tv...

"Speaking to the Irish Hotels Federation conference, O'Leary said: "Not every seat will be €10 of course, there will also need to be a very high number of business or premium seats.”

sooooooo if you want a decent seat you'll be paying loads and as per everywhere else, subsidising economy but in this case, the one or two 10e special offer seats

"However, O'Leary conceded that the eye-catching offer was four or five years away as other airlines from the Gulf states are currently snapping up available planes."

So it's nothing immediate and may not happen blah blah but hey, gets them in the press doesn't it? like when he announced he could charge for toilets and so on.

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Norwegian air already do it from Heathrow I think.... on the Dreamliner.

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

not enough fuel is not enough fuel whether it's 60 mins or a 9 hour flight! lol

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Their prices are quite good and its a dreamliner from Gatwick...waiting to see what the reviews are like, you have to pay for a meal but to be honest i would rather take my own then i know what i'm getting, can choose when to eat etc etc

7. keith

well that's one of the many reasons I PERSONALLY don't use and wouldn't use them even for short haul :) but I'm just saying that some of the other more tangible and easy to see issues, quality of service etc., prompt some people to say ok I'll put up with it for 60 minutes but 9hrs would be very different

plus of course, a short flight over europe mostly over land has a lot more emergency landing options than a flight out in the middle of the atlantic ;-)

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

That's why I've never used them before and yes you're probably right about the landing opportunities... There are strict standards though and there have been no accidents so far that I know of. So £20 instead of £1000? Although you have to add tax to that and then you'll be a bout the same as everyone else.

9. keith

wellllllllll http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...nair-cut-fuel-levels-for-flights-8749046.html

Well add a few bags, who knows what rates, add the hideous taxes which take up most of the ba/virgin flight costs at the moment anyway! lot more on long haul than short.

Also, bear in mind that "not all seats will be 10" and "very high number of business/premium seats" and I think you've got the usual, first two (or so) seats at 10, then 100 (still good perhaps!) then 200 (hmmm) and before long what you have is a flight that has 2-10 people perhaps on a great fare and not much difference for everyone else plus that famous (cough) ryan air customer service.

Oh and five years off because they can't find the planes.

Honestly, it's the usual publicity stunt

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Oh yeah I saw that last year, I do wonder how many airlines do that though. The thing that also stuck out for me was the phrase 22 year old pilot.... EEK you want them old enough they have experience but not too old that they're going to have a heart attack ;)

11. keith

yeah I once heard, and who knows if its right or wrong, that at one time the BA pilots had a leader board for who could take the least fuel :/ but I think that's perhaps a little different from feeling under pressure from your employer to do it

completely agree with you there! that's exactly right :yes:

obviously just cost isnt it

12. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Everything seems to be about cost :sigh: