1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Safe to buy a laptop in Florida?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by AKLnut, Jul 23, 2009.

1. AKLnut

AKLnut Imagineer

Is it safe or wise to buy a laptop in Orlando? :unsure:

I guess the power would be different but thats ok is there anything else to know?

2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

you HAVE to look at the warranty issue that s a major concern, for me no i wouldnt they are so cheap here these days id buy from here to be on the safe side :)

3. AKLnut

AKLnut Imagineer

really? cheaper here than in florida where abouts if I can ask?

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ahhhh i didnt say cheaper lol i said cheap and then no warranty issues but thats just me...i buy all the schools laptops from laptops direct they have some good deals

what spec you looking for :)

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

agree with nutty on this one. I generally think the price difference is misunderstood or exaggerated. Generally speaking once I convert from $-£ and add florida sales tax, it doesnt come out to much different to over here.

Add to that you'll probably end up with a US rather than a UK keyboard. Not the end of the world but still, problems if you need to take it back etc.

If you DO decide to try it, stay away from the sharks on IDrive. LOTS of bad stories of people buying a laptop and ending up with a brick in a box and so on.

I'd also consider dixons duty free before you leave! Some good deals to be had there

6. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

We brought our sons laptop from Walmart (Dell) in Florida a couple of years ago. We've had no problems with it whatsoever, but DH is an IT Systems Engineer and website builder. It's also fair to say that we weren't overly concerned about the warranty as we are over there a couple of times a year anyway. The power for a laptop is through an adaptor which should be able to detect between 100 - 240 volts, all we had to do was cut the plug off the lead and put a UK plug on it.

I brought myself a laptop this year and got a good deal at Dell through Comet, because of the exchange rate it didn't seem such a bad deal. :wave: