1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Sanaa review - Animal Kingdom Lodge 09.15.12

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by DisneyFreak, Sep 25, 2012.

1. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

So during our quick one night stay at Disney we had an ADR at Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village. This was our first time here and we came out being very impressed. The food was an African-Indian fusion and was very tasty.

We arrived 15 minutes prior to our 5:50pm ADR. We were promptly checked in and were given our pager. We walked out to view the animals next to the campfire. The animals were very active with some of the Zebras and Wildebeasts running about. We were seated within minutes of our ADR time close to the windows overlooking the savannah. The atmosphere was fun but a little loud. There were quite a few kids in the restaurant, including a birthday party which I found odd for that time of evening on a Saturday. Not a big deal and the kids were well behaved.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Once we were settled at our table we kind of knew what we wanted since we had peeked at the menu online. We started with the Indian-style Bread Serve. Naan, Onion Kulcha and Paneer Paratha were the breads we choose and the accompaniments were Garlic Pickle, Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus and Cucumber Riata. The breads and accompaniments were excellent and a great value at $8.99. The menu says it serves two but the three of had plenty to share.

[​IMG]

After the bread we wanted to try the Salad Sampler where you get a choice of three salads. We went with the Chickpeas with Cucumber and Tomato, the Watermelon, Cucumber and Fennel and the Roasted Beets. My wife and her Aunt were not fond of the Watermelon salad while I thought it was okay but bland. The Aunt enjoyed the Roasted Beets while the wife and I liked the Chickpeas. Another good value at $6.99 but one we could have done without. Nothing spectacular about the salads.

[​IMG]

For the entrees my wife ordered the Sanaa Vegetarian Sampler. She was able to choose two of the five offerings along with either Basmati Rice or Five-Grain pilaf. She went with the Paneer Cheese and Spinach, the Spicy Peas, Chickpeas and Potatoes along with the Basmati Rice ($14.99). The Aunt went with the Tandoori Shrimp served with Apricot-Raisin Chutney and Basmati Rice ($20.99). I ordered Todays' Sustainable Fish (Alaskan King Salmon) with Shrimp and Scallops served with Seasonal Vegetables in a light Curry Broth (Market price $26.99). All three entrees were excellent. Everyone enjoyed their dinners and the sizes were just right.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The prices for what you got was an above average value for the entrees and an excellent value for the bread service and salad sampler even though the salad sampler was not our favorite. We had excellent service, the castmember (I believe his name was Van) knew the menu well and explained items we had questions about perfectly. Overall we had a great experience and dinner at Sanaa and I recommend trying this restaurant (or trying it again if you haven't been in awhile).

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Thank you for an excellent review! It does indeed sound like we need to try it again, as your description tells about a wonderful sounding experience. Good to know that they've come a long way since opening (where the server barely knew where she was working, let alone what the food was about). I like the photos of the portions. Not crazy huge, and they look nicely prepared.

Good info!!

3. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

loved Sanaa when we visited!

Thanks for the lovely review and the pictures!

I am sooo hungry now!!

4. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We love it there. We always say well wait longer to be seated to get a window seat too :D

5. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Thanks for the review. The food looked very tasty. Oh miss the theme of AK...had a wonderful stay there last January.

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

That was a great review. We've only been once and we keep planning to go back but just haven't made it. The first time around I ordered the fish wrapped in banana leaf for my entree and was less than impressed. Your salmon looks good though.