1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

saratoga springs or old key west

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disnut, Mar 28, 2011.

1. disnut

disnut Imagineer

The two options we have at the moment are sarratoga springs or old key west, can anyone say which is the better resort to stay at for facilities like restaurants and ease of access to downtown disney?

2. Casey3557

Casey3557 Earning my ears

SSR is right "next door" to DTD and you can actually walk there. You can also take a bus or watercraft.

OKW is almost as convenient; bus and watercraft easily take you there. You can walk, but it would take a bit of time!

Both are very large resorts. OKW is the flagship DVC resort and the units are more spacious then those at SSR. SSR is the 2nd newest DVC resort, behind BLT, at WDW. OKW was recently renovated and I believe SSR is being renovated now. Both have a main pool area and smaller "neighborhood" pools. SSR has a spa.

OKW has a sit-down restaurant that serves all 3 meals and a snack bar type eatery that serves burgers, ice cream, etc. SSR has the same options available. The fact that SSR is so close to DTD opens up a lot more options; it is relatively easy to walk over to the Earl of Sandwich for a quick breakfast, for instance.

It may come down to choosing which ambience you prefer. OKW is a very laid-back, quiet atmosphere with a kind of "come as you are" feel. Quite casual. SSR is more formal, IMHO, and the theming is much more subtle. Note that the studios at OKW are the only DVC studios with two queen beds. All the other DVC properties have one queen bed and a sleeper sofa.

We are major OKW fans,:worship: but SSR is a very nice resort. You can't go wrong with either one.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That is an excellent summary of the 2 resorts. :thumbsup:
    OKW is our "home" resort as we have been DVC members since 1992, and just to add, you will be able to park your car right outside your building at OKW which is a neat feature....I`m not sure of the same applies to SSR. :unsure:

4. ROO

ROO Earning my ears

We are just back from SSR in feb we are DVC members here. They are building another swimming pool along the lines of the one in the Grandstand area, so will have bar area(I think) & a drink refill station. SSR is an fairly easy walk to DTD & you can park your car outside your building. OKW is lovely rooms are more spacious than SSR. OKW has 2 beds in a studio, SSR has 1 bed & a sofa bed. I like the decor better in SSR & love the easy walk to DTD in the evening.

5. Casey3557

Casey3557 Earning my ears

Excellent! Forgot about that one as we normally do not have a car! :wave: