1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

savannah view or not at the animal kingdom lodge?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by partygirl, Jun 24, 2011.

1. partygirl

partygirl Earning my ears

I havent booked or anything but really thinking about it :wiggle:

the savannah view is amazing Im sure but is it worth that much more money? Some people say if we dont book it whats the point of being there :unsure:
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Not true.

It is very nice to have the view from your room, of course. We really enjoy seeing the animals from that vantage point.

However, there are many very nice public viewing places that are quite comfortable.

The lodge itself is a lovely destination, and the lobby is wonderful.
  3. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

I don't think I personally would go there without a savannah view, I loved sitting in the cool watching the animals in my pjs it made the resort for me.
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've done both and it's really a matter of adjusting your activities to include what you want to do. I love the view from the room, don't misunderstand. However, the lodge has much going for it, in addition to the view. :yes:
  5. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Imagineer

When we stayed at AKL we didn't have a savannah view and we had animals outside our room all the time. It was mostly ostridges, zebras, and other strange animals. They provided quite a bit of entertainment most days.
    One morning when we were up early to do the steam trains tour we had giraffes outside our room.
    Personally I wouldn't pay the extra but its up to you, you can see the animals either side (this was a few years ago). There is also some sitting areas over the savannahs where you can sit.
    :wiggle:
  6. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I think it really depends on the way you travel

AKL offers lots of places to watch the animals.. most corridors, some lookouts, some veranda type places with rockers.... still, for us, traveling with a toddler, nothing NOTHING beats the feeling of an 18 month old waking up to a giraffe outside their room :) and its a great entertainment :yes:
  7. WDW Vet

WDW Vet Forum Advertiser

The AKL is great and all the posts are correct. In reading many of your post it seems you are working hard trying to nail down a resort. Stay at a few!

You'll probably be there for two or three weeks. You can enjoy AKL, stay in the Magic Kingdom area and enjoy everything that is in reach. Then Stay in the Epcot resort area and enjoy what that area has to offer.

We did that all the time and our average trip was 8 to 9 nights and for the US that was a long trip. We always stayed at two resorts. For us we had an annual pass so we just booked room reservations. You can do the same and buy the 21 day ultimate ad mix it up with the resorts.

We have two ways we did it. The "Two bag" or "Laundry Day". Disney transports your luggage for you so you don't have to worry about that. So the 2 bag system is taking two bags where bag one is the first resort stay and when we head to resort two it is the dirty laundry bag. AT resort two we have bag two which was all clean clothes.

Most of our trips was laundry day. When we check out we'd call down to have Disney grab our bags and transport them. We'd go hit the parks for a few hours and then head over to the second resort and check in. Usually Disney had the room ready so we'd go up and change into our bathing suits. We head down to the pool and do laundry and enjoy an afternoon swim. Then back to the room, refresh and have dinner somewhere and hit the parks.

There is no resort better than another. It really is a personal choice. Many people have had an experience they share, some good, some bad. How many times have you raved about a restaurant and have friends join you and the restaurant has an off night.

So what's the best choice? Wilderness Lodge? Beach Club? Animal Kingdom Lodge? Polynesian? White wine vs red wine? Vanilla, strawberry or chocolate? I prefer butter pecan but I always think out of the box and sometimes color outside the lines. But it is about choice and it is ultimately yours.