1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Scooter or wheelchair

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by goofygal, Jan 3, 2011.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

We're going to Disney in November finally :wiggle: it'll be me, my brother, his 3 yr old and our mum.

Now mum has been active all her life but is now on morphine for leg problems which just arent going to go away. Some days she can hardly move :(

She's determined to come with us and the doctor is saying that with regulation of the morphine she should be fine.

We've suggested that we hire a scooter thing for her but at the moment she's totally refusing it or a wheelchair saying she will walk where she can.

Its her choice at the end of the day and we would never force her to do something she doesnt want to, but scooters arent out of the ordinary at disney now are they? I mean she wouldnt get stared at or anything?

Does anyone know of the best places to hire them ?

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

You know a lot better than we if she can walk all day in the parks. It really doesn't sound so good from your description however. I would go with a scooter vice a wheel chair simply because it has its own power and no one would have to push it. There are several places off site that rent and they are much cheaper than renting from Disney. Most of them will even deliver to you and then pick it up at the end. Randy's Mobility is one that I have heard is fairly reputable and I know there are others.

3. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    you can hire wheel chairs and scooters in orland just google orlandowheelchairhire

4. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I'd choose a scooter any day. I rented one from an outside rental company, so we had it for our entire visit.

Couple of reasons I'd recommend a scooter:

1) Judging by your description, your mum sounds quite independent. A scooter means she wil have total freedom and not need to rely on someone pushing her.

2) You can convince your mum to use one by telling her it's a great way to get to the front of queues! ...and carry all your bits and bobs.

Don't worry in the slightest about being 'looked at funny'. ECVs are commonplace all over Florida, and we never got a single funny look our entire stay with my dad.

5. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I had my aunt & my gramma with me this past visit and my aunt would NOT have been able to get around without the chair. My gramma is slow-moving (I think her hip gives her trouble) but she refused anything. I think it's just a perception thing. I don't think she thought she could drive a scooter and she probably is just too stubborn to be pushed in a wheelchair.

Renting a scooter at the park (Epcot) was no problem. Getting Bev on the rides we wanted to get her on was no problem. The Cast Members are very accomodating and assist in any way to get your family on and off the rides.

It seems every other family has someone with them in a scooter or chair. It's not an impediment to other guests getting around, you get to go to the fronts of a lot of the ride queues (*BONUS*!), and if it makes your family member have a more comfortable, enjoyable day, I say GO FOR IT! The longer you can hold out at the parks, the better! Good times to be had!

6. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We had to hire a wheelchair for my nephew on our last trip (he broke his ankle in 2 places 10 days before we went). We started off hiring them on a daily basis in each park, but it was around $15 per day and of course you dont get to use them outside of the park. We asked in reception about hiring one and they called someone and arranged it all for us, cost $100 for 11 days, they dropped it off to the hotel and picked it up again.
    My nephew wanted to get a scooter, he didnt want to be pushed around by someone else all the time, but it was alot more money to hire one so we got the wheelchair instead.
    One thing is for sure though, it was a godsend!!

7. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

A scooter is the way for her to go, but I do understand her feelings about not wanting to rent one. What I can tell you is that I wouldn't push the idea, rather I'd let her try the walking and let her see just how many folks with mobility issues do use a scooter to get around.

There are a number of off site scooter companies that will drop off and pick up the scooter and usually they have more than enough stock that a last minute call to rent one is not a problem!

8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i wish id gone for a scooter but no way was the wife gonna let me pay for it..what do wives know about it anyway ;) :lol: i want what works for me not her

9. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

does anyone know approximately how much the scooters cost per day?

10. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

About $30 a day or $200 for the first wk

11. Captain Teague

Captain Teague Earning my ears

We just got back from WDW and my son was in a wheelchair (brokeleg), supplied FREE from our resort. Granted we had a letter from the doctor saying he couldn't get around well. This also got us a free VIP pass that put us to the front of every line. My opinion is...if Mum has never driven a scooter, then take the wheelchair. There were FAR TOO MANY scooter drivers that couldn't manuver around which created many slow downs and messes for everyone. The wc's fold up like strollers and take up far less room.

12. rj137

rj137 Earning my ears

we just got back from a 10 day disney/universal vacation and rented 2 scooters from Walker Mobility (we've used them years now) for $180 a week and 30.00 a day for the last 3 days of the trip.

BTW if you go to universal for harry potter give yourself plenty of time and get there early, over christmas/new years week they had to stop letting people in the HP section at 10am and then there was up to a 3 hour wait as they let you in as others left. just letting you know. was well worth it though, simply fantastic.:worship: