1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Seat Plus with Virgin - Way out of home??

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Lisa1976, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

We want to take advantage of Virgin's seat plus so paying for the extra seat in a set of three for me and hubby but can only afford one way.

Would you book it going out so you have the extra room to spread out and relax or would you book it coming home so you can sleep a little more comfortably.

Thoughts please :)

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I think I would book it coming home to be more comfortable, especially of you don't normally sleep on the way home.

3. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

I'd choose homeward bound too. I can never get comfy enough to sleep but the extra space may improve my chances.

4. Lisa1976

I'm the same find it really hard to sleep on way home, hubby out like a light, so annoys me, lol.

Going out we had booked two seats of a set if three up in the economy bubble hoping the third seat would stay free, but logged on this evening and someone has reserved it :(

I've been reading up on the economy bubble and it doesnt seem as good as it sounds. Thinking of choosing seats downstairs now.

5. Wendy

The bubble used to be really nice, I don't know how much they have changed it though now they have put economy up there as well.

It is definitely quieter upstairs and there aren't as many people so it should be ok. I don't know how it works with food, I'm guessing they will bring food up from downstairs.

6. Lisa1976

As far as I know Wendy, from what I've read, then upstairs has a dedicated team.

The thing I'm more worried about us being squished. Hubby and I are pooh sized and from what I've read it feels a little claustrophobic up there, the aisles aren't wide and there is no where to get up and walk around to.

Decisions, decisions :)

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Like Wendy says, it used to be amazing when it was PE! I always tried for it and I was more than a bit sad when I heard they were changing it.

I've never felt cramped or anything in there but of course it was PE not economy in those days.

8. Lisa1976

Somewhere I read it said it went from 10 upper class seats to 33 economy seats, not sure how true that is.

9. Wendy

The aisles used to be fairly wide as there were only 2 seats each side. From what I understand, there is still PE at the front of the bubble and economy at the back on the Gatwick and Manchester 747s. It is small upstairs in terms of cabin size but it used to feel special, but as I said I don't know what it will be like now, as there are obviously a lot more people up there.

Chris has a bad back and he used to walk downstairs through to the back of the plane and then back again :lol:

If there is going I be an economy dedicated team upstairs then you will find you get a faster service than downstairs. It was one of the things I liked about upstairs PE it wasn't as rushed or chaotic as downstairs PE.

If it was me, I'd give it a go and see how it feels in the way out, if you really don't like it then you can go back downstairs on the flight home.

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

There used to be some amazing PE seats upstairs on the Manchester flight [row 24 if I recall] which were the emergency exit seats and which were only assigned at check in.
    You literally had to remove your seat belt and walk a few paces to reach the seat row in front of you....those were the days. :yes:

11. Wendy

:yes: we always tried to get those seats Terry, I think they have gone now and are part of the economy area :sigh: I don't think I would go upstairs now if I used PE :(

12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I remember back when the 747 was a new plane. The first one I ever flew on was on an Air France flight from Paris to the US. I flew First Class and the upstairs was a cocktail lounge for the First Class passengers. After takeoff they took us up there, mixed our first drink and then left regular size bottles of whatever you were drinking sitting at the bar and you could make your own drinks. When dinner was served they came up and got you and you went back to your regular seat for dinner.

13. keith

oh how wonderful that sounds! The 747 is my favourite plane, I really don't like the A330s that Virgin have been buying instead :(

I'd love just once to sit at a bar in upper class and chat the journey away :lol:

I VERY much miss premium economy in "the bubble" :( It's a huge blow that they've changed it

14. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

What's seat plus? You can tell I've abandoned virgin and am using another airline ;)

15. Lisa1976

Basically you can purchase an extra seat, so hubby and I can have a row of three for the two of us. It starts from £99 and is £149 on the Orlando route.

Hubby and I are pooh shaped so having the extra seat space will make the flight a lot more comfortable, I always worry about being squished.

We are currently going to go for coming home,but I'm going to try to sell some stuff on eBay to do both ways :)

16. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

So could you buy 2 extra seats and have a row to lie down on?

17. Lisa1976

I don't see why not

18. keith

I guess all they're doing is saying ok, when you buy a seat from us it costs £150 to virgin and £400 in taxes... so if its an empty seat they mustn't have to pay taxes and virgin get the same money for the seat so they're fine. Clever really if that is how it works

19. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

it would also pay them in fuel i guess - not much but adds up just like the American Airlines removal of one black olive!

20. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Just a shame you can't buy a seat for a person at that price ;)