1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Seaventure

Discussion in 'SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica' started by josh.p., Jul 17, 2011.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Just thought I'd post a few tips about the new 'Seaventure' at Discovery Cove.

First off, it was AMAZING. The dolphin swim was absolutely amazing too but the two are totally different experiences and I wouldn't want to go to DC without doing Seaventure.

The 'nominal' fee for the Seaventure is $59 each, which is pretty expensive if you had a family of 4. (Price is accurate as of the 15th of July 2011)

You can't take part if you are extremely claustrophobic (I am quite claustrophobic and I was fine, as a guide Mission: Space is about my limit for small spaces), if you have back, neck, heart or breathing problems.

You are given a time that is based around your dolphin swim so that you can do both. It takes place over at the grand reef and you are expected to arrive over at the grass hut in the middle for check-in about 5 minutes prior to the start of your Seaventure experience.

Once you have been checked in, you are taken to a safety briefing where they give you instructions on how to use the equipment as well as the various hand signals that will be used underwater. You sign a release form/waiver and then you start the experience.

The helmets that they give you are 70lbs which is quite heavy outside of the water, but underwater they only feel as though they are 15lbs and smaller children can request to have a float attached to their which makes them a lot lighter :yes:

You cannot take your own digital underwater cameras in there because of the depth. You are supplied with digital cameras and you get the photos loaded onto a CD for $30 (Accurate 7/15/2011) at the end of the experience. We had a party of two so we split the cost and just made copies of the CD as you are given full copyrights to the pictures. A professional also takes pictures of the group as you go along and these are included on the CD.

The experience lasts around 25 minutes to half an hour and whilst under there you see the different stingray (the biggest being 6ft), the sharks in the shark tank, lots of tropical fish as well as getting the chance to hold a sea urchin and a starfish :yes:

Our group (about 8 people) was accompanied by three scuba divers who were able to write messages telling us about the different species of fish available to see in the Grand Reef :yes:

I think the Seaventure would be ideal if you had a family that were split in opinion on the dolphin swim, for example if Mum & Daughter wanted to swim with dolphins and Dad & Son did the Seaventure instead.

2. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Just been looking at all your pics on Facebook and it looks fab.

Can't wait for the kids to wake up so I can show them :thumbsup:

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Josh, re the photos, if you buy the most expensive package do you get the photos added to that for free?

4. josh.p.

I'm not 100% sure because it seems that the seaventure pictures are different from all the other pictures. If you get the most expensive package make sure you make the most of having your pictures taken everywhere as the photographers go in to upload at about 2:30/3:00 :yes:

5. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Josh would you think this is suitable for an 11 year old. I think my 15 would be ok. Thank you for your review. It has made up my mind due to the claustrophobia. I don't mind enclosed spaces but not keen on my head/face being restricted.

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It looks brilliant Josh :D I wouldn't be able to do it though :sigh: claustrophobia, back and neck problems :(

7. josh.p.

I think it would be more than suitable for an 11 year old :yes: The enclosed space issue is weird because above ground I wouldn't be able to wear that helmet, but underwater it doesn't feel so enclosed :unsure: Like I said, I'm claustrophobic to some degree and I didn't find it too bad at all.