1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

SeaWorld Announces First-of-its-Kind Killer Whale Environment

Discussion in 'SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Aquatica News & Rumou' started by Wendy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

SeaWorld has announced a bold vision for the future: the massive addition of a new, first-of-its-kind killer whale environment at all three SeaWorld parks. This new environment will transform how visitors experience killer whales, and provide unprecedented access for zoological professionals and scientists to study and care for these incredible animals.

seaworld-1.jpg
    The new project builds upon SeaWorld’s legacy of providing state-of-the-art, innovative living spaces for our animals, and will offer park guests unique killer whale encounters for generations to come.

seaworld-2.jpg

As part of this future vision, we also pledge $10 million help study and protect killer whales in the wild, as well as the ocean in which they live.

seaworld-3.jpg

The first new realm opens in SeaWorld San Diego in 2018, with others to follow in Orlando and San Antonio parks.

It will feature:
    • a water volume nearly double the existing facility at approximately 10 million gallons, a planned maximum depth of 50 feet, surface area of nearly 1.5 acres, a length span of more than 350 feet and views exceeding 40 feet in height
    • the world’s largest underwater viewing experience
    • up-close and personal encounters that will transform how visitors experience killer whales
    • even more dynamic opportunities for the whales that can challenge them both physically and mentally
    • unprecedented access for professionals and scientists that can lead to a better understanding and care of the animals both in the parks and in the wild.
    seaworld-4.jpg
    Construction begins in San Diego next year.

2. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

Oooo, I look forward to that :)

3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

The cynic in me thinks that this has only been done due to the pressure from the pending court case.

I haven't watched blackfish so cannot comment on that, but from my own experience the way that Sea World treats there animals there is a lot of room for improvements.

This is a positive step however still don't think it's good enough.

I stand by my decision and won't be going back.

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I'm with you, I think it's connected, it's got to be no matter how much they will say it isn't. I also think it's to do with the fact that the trainers aren't allowed to get in the water with the whales anymore.

My opinion changed about SeaWorld before all the blackfish stuff. I didn't like it the last time we went and felt that it was more about the money than the animals.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I used to convince myself that Sea World did provide good services to rescue animals, and that sort of thing. I stopped being able to do that some time ago. I simply don't do the "animal show" stuff. It bothers me. I'm not a fan of Busch Gardens, either. The crowding of the animals there and the pathological behaviors make me sick. I know that DAK isn't the end all be all of animal places, but they do their level best to keep the habitats and foods as natural as possible. (I work with the spouse of the commissary director for DAK). It's education based, and that has redeeming qualities in my world.

I've not seen the movie, and may never watch it. Things like that bother me too much and for too long.

Tony G and Badlydrawnkel like this.
  6. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

The 'thing' that tipped it for me was in 2001 we went to Sea World and the dolphins were squshed into a shallow pool with over 10 dolphins all beggin for food, with food being 'sold' by Sea World (at what I assume a profit) so that 'customers' could 'interact' with the dolphins.

It was sick and I felt so angry and hurt that Sea World had sold their soul.

Fortunately, my mom (as I was only 14 at the time) shared my view and we left shortly after.

Since then I have never been able to get that image (and the sound of the dolphins) out of my head.

Sea World lost me that day and no amount of 'good work' would tempt me back.

Tony G and Tink like this.