1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

SeaWorld Orlando's False Killer Whale Jozu dies

Discussion in 'SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Aquatica News & Rumou' started by Wendy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

SeaWorld officials have announced that Jozu, SeaWorld's False Killer whale passed away late on Monday 4th June.

Over the weekend Jozu was moved into Animal Care after falling critically ill. Jozu, an 18-year-old female, was born at the marine park in 1994 and is presumed to be the only false killer whale in captivity in North America. This species is known as a false killer whale because it closely resembles the more widely-known Orca, but is actually not related at all.

false-killer-whale.jpg

Jozu was born in captivity at Orlando on Sep. 3 1994 to Hana and Teri, and is the last of sixteen Pseudorca crassidens, to have lived at the Orlando facility since 1976. The young whale had been solo since 2008 but was kept with other species.

Jozu's cause of death will be unknown for six to eight weeks, but she did have a known history of chronic health problems. She was one of the main whales featured in the "Blue Horizons" show.
  2. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Oh thats sad :(

I didnt know what a false killer whale was, i was very surprised when i scrolled down and saw the photo - but instantly remembered them from the blue horizons show
  3. Sam

Sam Imagineer

Very sad news.:sad: