1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Seaworld test "Shamu’s SmartGuide"

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, Jul 1, 2008.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

SeaWorld Florida is testing out a new gadget for the Busch parks that is a GPS style information device called Shamu’s SmartGuide. At the moment it costs $18 plus you have to put a credit card desposit down so they can ensure you’ll bring the device back.

Looks like it tracks your position as you wander through the park suggesting things to do and see! I'm sure we'll see these in all the parks before long

Attached Files:

• sw5.jpg
      sw5.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If they work well, that would be really nice. Especially if it's your first time in a park. I know we wandered around kind of "lost" at Disneyland until we got our bearings.

Does anyone remember years ago (shortly after opening so maybe '98 or '99) Animal Kingdom was testing PDAs? They were supposed to have information on each animal and other "stuff." Never did take off.

Let's hope these do!

3. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I hope these take off :D It looks exciting. I've never use a pal mickey, are they good?

4. Sun&Surf

Sun&Surf Earning my ears

It's a little like PalMickey in that it gives park information (show schedules, accessibility info, etc.) and tons of animal facts. The girl at the counter said there's over 2 hours of video content as well. There's also a 20% discount at gift shops/photo places and 10% off specific dining spots.

Has anyone else had a chance to try one out?

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm in a very small minority, Josh but I didn't care for the Pal Mickey when I tested it. It gave me no information when it should, wrong information sometimes and I was back in the villa with it (WL) when it told me to get ready for the afternoon parade! :lol:

The one I tested had to be kept dry and that can be pretty challenging during the summer. Plus, I got really tired of carrying it.

Now, having said all that, I can see where little ones might really enjoy it. :yes: