1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

see other resorts?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disney1sttimer, Jul 1, 2008.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

when we re there are we allowed to go to other resorts to see them or is that not allowed unless you re staying there?

If we can which ones are good to visit?
  2. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

You are absolutely allowed to visit the resorts, they are all nice to look around but especially the deluxe ones.

The Grand Floridian is a must see and the Boardwalk has a lovely shopping, eating area which is quite vibrant and lively at night, Animal Kingdom Lodge has the Savannah areas where you can view the animals, all the resorts are so different it's a nice way to spend some time. :thumbs_up:

Book a meal at some or even eat at the quick service restaurant if you need to eat.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Visiting the other resorts can easily take up a full day (or more)! The boardwalk area will give you several to explore. There is Beaches and Cream there at the Beach Club. It's a great place to grab a bite to eat. No reservations needed or taken. Just give your name at the podium, and wait to be called.

Another good place to visit is the "monorail" resorts. The GF is one of them. The monorail will take you around to the other two (Polynesian and Contemporary). It's not on the monorail, but very close and well worth a vist, The Wilderness Lodge.

AKL will give you a real experience! Do try to book a meal there! Boma is wonderful as it Jiko. There is a counter service, and a bar/lounge too for something less involved.

Actually, I like all the resorts and enjoy visiting them. It's also another way to spend non-park time, and it's essentially "free!" The only thing that WDW doesn't allow is for visitors who are not guests of the particular resort to use the pool. You must be a registered guest of the resort to use the individual pools. (Unless you've been told at check in that you can use another resort's pool, or if you are a DVC member. They can, in some cases use other resort pools). Remember if staying at All Stars or Pop Century all the pools at those respective resorts are open to registered guests. :D
  4. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

The easiest WDW resorts to visit are the monorail resorts: GF (Grand Floridian), CR (Contemporary Resort) and Poly or PR (Polynesian Resort). You can take the resort monorail from either MK or the TTC (Ticket & Transportation Center). If it's hot and humid out, it's a nice way to take a break from the parks and the weather.

The next easiest are the EPCOT resorts. They are located between EPCOT and DHS and are available by walking or Friendship launch, which provides the transportation between these parks and resorts. The resorts are: BWI (Boardwalk Inn), BC (Beach Club), YC (Yacht Club) and S&D (Swan & Dolphin--not owned by Disney, but located on Disney property). BWI and BC also have DVC villas.

Wilderness Lodge (WL) also is easily accessible from MK via boat. It's a Pacific northwest lodge theme.

Less easily reached--and considered by many to be well worth the effort--is Animal Kingdom Lodge (AKL). If using WDW transportation, you'll need to catch a bus from one of the parks or DTD.

These are the deluxe--most expensive resorts--and tend to be more lavishly themed and decorated. However, if time and energy permit, you certainly can visit the moderate and value resorts, as well. Each resort has a different theme--and you can get a feel for what might interest you--and your budget--in the future!

As Tink noted, you are welcome to explore the resorts and dine in the restaurants, but the pools are reserved for the guests of that resort. Pool hopping has been an issue in the past and WDW has cracked down on it--hard!

Also, if you will be driving, the resorts will issue a three-hour parking permit for ADRs. They may issue them for exploring, but it depends on resort occupancy at the time. I usually travel in the off season and have been able to park easily, but others have reported differently.
  5. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

can you see the savannah areas in AKL? I really want to do that one day
  6. Tink

Oh yes, Josh. There are many public viewing areas. Some are ground level and some are on different floors of the resort itself. They have open air balconies (quite large) that you can get to by the main areas of the resort and then view the savannah area.

It's really a nice place to visit. It used to be that they fed the animals around 5:00 pm. Not sure if that is still the case.

You can also meet and visit with CMs there who are from different countries in Africa. There is story telling there, and other neat activities. The lobby itself is an adventure. It's quite like a mini museum.

It's built on the same plans as WL, so there is some sense of familiarity, but the decor and theme are totally different.
  7. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Might have to pen that one in for our trip..
  8. Tink

Absolutely Josh. If you dine at Boma there will be a lot of choices for you too. If you don't see anything you like, the chef will make you a special order dish. I've seen it happen there quite a bit. But they do have quite a selection of veggie dishes. :D
  9. MinnieMouse

MinnieMouse Earning my ears

You can go to any resort and look around. This is a good way to try different restaurants and also see the different theming in the hotels.

AKL is a lovely resort to visit as the hotel is superbly themed and you can also view the savannahs and see the wildlife. Each savannah has its own collection of animals to see and you can also speak to the cms and ask them questions about the animals .

Grand Floridian is also a very nice resort and at christmastime it has an edible gingerbread house in the lobby. It also has V & A which is a superb restaurant. GF is on the monorail link with contemporary and poly so you can see all three on the one day.

All the resorts have there own special qualities and by seeing them all you can choose which one you will stay in on your next trip.

You will have a fantastic time at disney and will definitely want to come back and enjoy more disney magic. :pixiedust:
  10. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

I hear they are really beautiful when dressed up for the holidays.
  11. MinnieMouse

MinnieMouse Earning my ears

Thats true, the hotels are beautiful at christmas and superbly decorated. Wherever you go you can hear christmas carols and at WL they have the bell ringers.

Christmas is such a special time of year and when you are at disney it is extra special. :smiley4:
  12. Tink

During the holidays each resort has its own theme. The deluxe resorts have huge gingerbread creations too. The GF has a gingerbread house so large that they use it for a small shop! There is a candy boardwalk at the Boardwalk Inn too. It's well worth the time to visit as many as you can during the holidays. :D
  13. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ooooo I've never seen the boardwalk one! Thanks Tink, will have to take a look at that!
  14. Tink

One year it was mostly all chocolate. The aroma of it hit you the second you walked in the door! :love:
  15. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Earning my ears

Yum!!

Another tip, visit Fort Wilderness. They have an internal bus that goes round the whole site. We saw some fantastic animals and Christmas decorations in the trees!
  16. Tink

Oh yes! That's a great tip, Cathy! :yes: That's one that you don't hear too much about either. Thanks!
  17. keith

oooo yes yes!! I'm not one for camping, but WOW one christmas our taxi actually went the wrong way and got lost in the internal roads! :lol: I bet some of those people with the motorhomes meet up each year and they put up such AMAZING dectorations. I haven't looked for a couple of years but definitely want to this year
  18. Tink

Well, I'll camp. :yes: There must be a few criteria met though.

There needs to be a proper bed, that is enclosed in four walls with a roof AND a floor. There needs to be plumbing. Nearby mind, not an hour and a half walk away. There needs to be hot food, preferably served and prepared by someone else. Oh yes, and there needs to be room service.

Then I'll camp. :D
  19. keith

so some kind of Grand Floridian main building concierge style camping in order then? :gy:
  20. Tink

Uuuuh yeah. That'd about do it. :D :D